Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Yet another newbie....

Yet another newbie....

Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:20 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet another newbie....

Originally Posted by nelsonchick
Hi waterlily (love the name btw have one tatooed on me!)
I felt exactly the same, and we did just that! brought a return ticket came in on a visiters visa, and hoped for the best!
I was so desperate to get here before xmas you see.

Looking back it was really silly and very risky! we shipped all our stuff and started getting our cats ready to come 6 weeks after us.
Thank god it all worked out ok, we got a job offer which sped up our visa, and within 2 months of arriving we were all sorted, but in hindsite we should have stayed put earnt some more great UK pounds!! and saved some more.
We didnt have a house to sell either and not much saved so we easily spent it all getting settled!

My advice just plod on saving lots and sit tight, you'll get there in the end and the time will fly by!

Have some karma to keep you sane!

Good luck
Vicky
Hi Vicky, thanks for sharing your story, I'm so jealous!!! I'm sure it must have been scary, but what an adventure! I'm glad it worked out for you, as Del Boy would say "he who dares..."

I was hoping to do the same, I'm sure it'd work out for us too as hubby is in IT and they don't usually find it hard to find a job, but he's not keen and last Sunday announced he didn't want to risk it. So I've been feeling a bit down all week, like the excitement is gone out of the situation and I just have to let the immigration officer decide my fate... I hate that!!!

Appreciate the encouragement but I'm not so sure that time will "fly by", I've been waiting for him to make up his mind for 10 months now and time seems to be dragging... cold and rainy days like today don't help... (and it's the weekend too!! ). It's supposed to be spring, and it feels like winter! doh!! And it's really annoying to hear people say "oooh we had a LOVELY month of April last year, it was soooo hot". Well, I wasn't in the country then, stop rubbing it in!!

Just the thought that we could have another washed-out summer and that I might well be spending another Christmas here fills me with dread... it's not that I hate being here... it's just that I'd rather be somewhere else!!

Ah well, sorry about the rant, feeling a bit sorry for myself!

Lovely part of the country where you are, double jealous!! We only passed through Nelson but went kayaking in Abel Tasman and it's so lovely out there! I wanna goooooooooo...... Would love to go swimming with the seals, missed out when we were there last year as we went a bit late in the season, they had stopped doing it the previous week, argh! Ah well.

Anyway, time for bed I guess....

Hope to carry on chatting to all you....

Night night everyone, send me some positive energy... I need it!!

Maria
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:57 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Water Lily;6234907]Hi Vicky, thanks for sharing your story, I'm so jealous!!! I'm sure it must have been scary, but what an adventure! I'm glad it worked out for you, as Del Boy would say "he who dares..."

Sent you some karma sounds like you need it.
Its funny hearing you talk as I felt just the same, its so horrible I know, but things tend to work out as they are suppossed to, you just have to have faith (not the religous sort). And now im on the 'otherside' missing my friends and finding it hard to be a 'Kiwi' not that I want to go back, but there is always pros and cons.
Practice being in the moment, it may help, rather than focusing on the future. Sounds a bit hippy dippy but it doesnt really help!
Ive just started studying bach flower remedies and they are def worth a go

Anyway will stop thinking of ideas to help now!

I really hope its a good summer too, am back for the whole of June!! and its just gone freezing here
Was 4 degrees last night and with no central heating we were freezing, despite having to insulate our whole house last year!!!
I feel like I have to go out the house just to warm up!

Anyway gotta run,
Keep talking to hubby, he may come round in the end
Take care
Vicky

OOOPs am signed in as my hubby!!
Durr
sorry
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

nelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the rough

This is me, and ill send you some karma too
x
Oh am not allowed, :-(
Sorry!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey.
Look forward to seeing you all on the main forum.