Yellow jackets

Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:23 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Yellow jackets

i have just found a yellow jacket wasps nest in one of my planters on the deck in my garden, should i just leave them alone?? im worried my cat might play with them

dont know what to do?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:36 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow jackets

Get the council in and destroy them!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Get the council in and destroy them!
do they charge you?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:55 am

they are paper wasps luckily
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all

what,not even real wasps!!!!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are real wasps, but not stripy and they make papery nests and congregate around the gutters for water. I just whack their little nests with a broom if they start one near the house and around the deck.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yes they are real wasps, but not stripy and they make papery nests and congregate around the gutters for water. I just whack their little nests with a broom if they start one near the house and around the deck.
Lol ok I sprayed them with fly spray. Do they sting?

Oh and they are stripey black and yellow

Last edited by love30stm; Mar 28th 2012 at 7:42 am.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by pcmay10
what,not even real wasps!!!!
Lol I just got it
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I have sprayed them too, they go a bit crazy but generally there aren't many at the nest. They do apparently sting. Watch the nest and if none about just knock it with a broom.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:54 am

I have sprayed them too, they go a bit crazy but generally there aren't many at the nest. They do apparently sting. Watch the nest and if none about just knock it with a broom.
Ok thanks will do in the morning
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by love30stm
Oh and they are stripey black and yellow
Ohh I think they might be the Asian ones, the ones we mostly get are reddish brown colour and we see them a lot chewing the wood from around the handrails on the deck. Were they longer and slimmer than the normal wasps?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:05 am

Ohh I think they might be the Asian ones, the ones we mostly get are reddish brown colour and we see them a lot chewing the wood from around the handrails on the deck. Were they longer and slimmer than the normal wasps?
Yes long and slim
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:14 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Danger, Danger, beware Will Robbinson, Danger.

Wasps are a 'pest' in so much as if they are somewhere where you don't want them. derr obvious I know.

Wasps are good for the garden, taking out heaps of nasty little bugs, but a bloody nuisance if you keep bees, (like me), or are too close to where you live.

Wasps, unlike bees can sting multiple times, and even kill. Last year I was dealing with a nest and they managed to take down my dog, (with their stinging).

A effective way of dealing with them is to cover up as much of the nest as possible, ( large black plastic bag is great for this) and in a open container, like a ice cream box, pour in a small amount of petrol. Place this at the base of the sack and enclose. The fumes from the petrol kill off the wasps, so obviously you need to enclose the nest as much as possible and the petrol container.

And best to do this late at night.

One tip. Doing this at night, don't use a torch! The light attracts them
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all

class as a pest and kill anything that is not human is this a kiwi trait or expat?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pcmay10
class as a pest and kill anything that is not human is this a kiwi trait or expat?
Not sure I follow you. What exactly do you mean?

Wasps can be a major problemo out here. The introduced species & those that accidentally arrive have an impact ,not only on humans but also on native birdlife & insects. Plus they also attack bees. It's best to act responsibly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.