Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A year out ..thinking of NZ

A year out ..thinking of NZ

Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:17 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default A year out ..thinking of NZ

Cross posted in moving back to the UK.

So, OH and I are talking seriously about taking a year out of our lives in Canada and coming to NZ or the UK. We have 1 kid, who will either be 6, 7 or 8 when we come.

Me & child will be nz citizens, OH is Canadian - not sure if we'd bother getting him a working permit or not, perhaps I'll be the main breadwinner for a change

Anyway, at this point I'm just researching the idea...does anyone have any thoughts? I'm assuming most of you would choose NZ over the UK (BTW, if we went to the UK it would prolly be Scotland...I think). Schooling, jobs, etc? Areas we were thinking Nelson, Hawkes Bay, somewhere warm for the OH...which is a bummer cos I'd really like to go to Dunedin!

Go.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:20 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year out ..thinking of NZ

Or wellington...lots of friends/ sister there.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:31 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
...Schooling, jobs, etc? Areas we were thinking Nelson, Hawkes Bay, somewhere warm for the OH...which is a bummer cos I'd really like to go to Dunedin!

Go.

Nelson and Hawkes Bay are both sunshine economies - I probably have more knowledge of Nelson. The housing is more expensive, and there is less big business there for the better paying corporate type jobs. That may or may not affect you guys. Both are fabulous areas, Nelson has great access to the outdoors and is generally a bit wacky too. Mapua is a great little village to settle in if you like the idea of being out of town a bit.

I'd be keeping Dunedin on your list too - it has amazing facilities and lifestyle for a city its size.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Or wellington...lots of friends/ sister there.
I would always recommend Welly to anyone

Depends what you want to be doing with you life really, what work you do and what you get up to in your free time.

Welly offers the best and worst of NZ weather, doesn't get as hot as Auckland during the summer but nowhere near as cold as the South Island in the winter, and the wind can be quite bracing!

But culture, arts, music, cinema, food are all fab here, its a very small city though and as you are slap bang in the middle of NZ nowhere is more than an hour away courtesy of Air NZ
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:49 am

I love Welly, I just don't know if OH is crazy about the climate I mean, why anyone would have an issue with gale-force winds I don't know... That's also his issue with Dunedin - it's cold(er) than other parts of NZ.

Also, when does the school year start/end again? Here it's sept to may.

In terms of free time we are more arty culture types than mega outdoorsy types. I"m open though - it doesn't hurt to try something new.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Welly, I just don't know if OH is crazy about the climate I mean, why anyone would have an issue with gale-force winds I don't know... That's also his issue with Dunedin - it's cold(er) than other parts of NZ.

In terms of free time we are more arty culture types than mega outdoorsy types. I"m open though - it doesn't hurt to try something new.
If you like Arty/Culture that rules out Nelson

Welly isn't always windy you know
Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:15 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

School year runs February to December.

We are in Bay of Plenty which also has a great climate - but I must admit you've got to be prepared to travel in terms of culture. I've don't mind a 3 hour drive to Auckland and staying in a hotel for a fix! I quite like Auckland, I liked Welly too when I visited - but I haven't lived in either.

Good luck.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:24 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
If you like Arty/Culture that rules out Nelson
Yep - WOW was stolen by some place that couldn't think up its own arty ideas
Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by southerner
Yep - WOW was stolen by some place that couldn't think up its own arty ideas
very well said, although in truth I think it was 'sold' not 'stolen' but it sounds better the way you said it.

There's more arty fartyness in Nelson and the surrounding region that you can shake a sh*tty stick at, drives me nuts sometimes, but on the whole I cope I guess....
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:18 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

The weather in Wellington is a reason never to live there quite frankly. Auckland and north of has far better year round weather.

Nelson is nice if you have money. Wages suck and it's known by locals as $10 town which represents the average wage there!

South Island is hillbilly land.

Look North.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by danjones1
The weather in Wellington is a reason never to live there quite frankly. Auckland and north of has far better year round weather.

Nelson is nice if you have money. Wages suck and it's known by locals as $10 town which represents the average wage there!

South Island is hillbilly land.

Look North.
Bloody Jafa's don;t know hee haw about the rest of NZ

The weather in Welly today has been fab
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Given the choice between UK & NZ for a year I'm recommending NZ largely based on the age of your child. It'd be good to be able to really give him/her the opportunity to really experience the lifestyle in NZ especially given that it is part of his/her heritage. I love my life in NZ, I am also British & am very proud of my British heritage, not about to indulge in any knocking the UK type threads, but for a youngster I think the relative freedom, and relaxed outdoors, kids will be kids, lifestyle is just better for them. And at that young age I can't see the difference in the school year will matter that much.

Only my opinion though, for what it's worth. I'm not going to even think about recommending areas of NZ though
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:10 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

I think of NZ as a better retirement place. The problem with raising a family here is two fold.

1. You might be denying grand parents access and miss out on the support network

2. When kids grow up they often leave NZ in search of a decent career
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by danjones1
I think of NZ as a better retirement place. The problem with raising a family here is two fold.

1. You might be denying grand parents access and miss out on the support network

2. When kids grow up they often leave NZ in search of a decent career
You are a cheery soul today ain't ya
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Dunedin and Vancouver aren't that much different weatherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.