Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Year in New Zealand

A Year in New Zealand

Old Jul 16th 2015, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice
Default Re: A Year in New Zealand

[QUOTE=Johnnyboyrevell;11699474]Cheers, I've had a look but there's hundreds of em and not all with surnames.
Any idea what year, season and episode it was ?? Series 8 episode 2 we think!
Old Jul 16th 2015, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Johnnyboyrevell is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=qssue;11700766]
Originally Posted by Johnnyboyrevell
Cheers, I've had a look but there's hundreds of em and not all with surnames.
Any idea what year, season and episode it was ?? Series 8 episode 2 we think!
Cheers
Old Jul 16th 2015, 5:58 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

That phrase..."you only regret the things you don't do" is stupid and untrue. It gets people into trouble. I live in Canada and board hopping, my husband wanted to come here more than me, I loved my life back home- the whole caboodle. We'll regret it if we don't do it was a phrase bandied about by him and others who were living comfortably and content with their lives.

And now, 18months later, I still regret coming. I wish I had put up more of a fight to stay. I miss my life and even though I can see the inkling of the life we had back home I know it will take many years to get there and some time the effort is too much...

Don't try and persuade your wife to come...why should she come round to your way of thinking? Instead of focusing on what you don't have, focus on what you do...

As an aside I wonder if the reason why there is such a clear male/female divide is because women invest more in other relationships than men do.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
As an aside I wonder if the reason why there is such a clear male/female divide is because women invest more in other relationships than men do.
Also maybe it is that women tend to want to build a nest and men want adventure?
Old Jul 16th 2015, 8:10 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
In my case its because MrF is selfish and doesn't see the bigger picture, I get that, he was an only child, bought up in boarding schools (which he loved) but there it taught him independence but not common sense or empathy (or much).
Obviously we discussed it and as I said I put the proviso in but as I said the realisation of going back and having to again start all over is daunting and still some way off to the agreed time scale and no where near affordable.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 9:57 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thing with me was. I literally was under no illusions coming out here. I knew it would be really hard. I was expecting the worst of everything.
But actually things have worked out well. We have struggles here but they all seen worth it.
I see so many expats that have come here thinking they will ' live the dream'. Life doesn't work like that. You have to put a lot of effort Into making the best for yourself out here.

My husband always wanted to come here. I never thought I would. Then one day I just said heck lets go. I'd hate to say we never tried.
Your wife needs to be on board. If she Is pushed it could have awful consequences in your marriage. Iv seen a lot of partners mainly wives completely resent their other halfs for bringing them here.

Also don't underestimate how hard it is to leave family. I'm not close to mine get iv been missing them a lot lately. Home sickness is a real thing and can effect you physically.