British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   A year later..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/year-later-377803/)

Apple12 Jul 11th 2006 7:52 am

Re: A year later.....

Originally Posted by NZ_Narbetts
Congrats on baby kiwi! Your read made me cry! I've been here a week and i feel like we've made a big mistake. I know i have to give it time. We have 3 children and know no- one. My hubby starts work next week and i'm scared i'm gonna be down and depressed

Hey there, good for you for posting. Don't forget that even if you only moved to the other end of the British Isles you would still be in the situation of not knowing anyone... especially for the first few weeks. How old are the children and are they heading off to school and/or kindy next week? My advice, FWIW, would be to try not to pass on your fears to them, a big part of their settling in ok will be due to your example, easy to say I know.
I think you need to build in a treat/sightseeing into your week next week, something to look forward to that you can do with the kids or by yourself, something that is not connected with the chores that need to be done when shifting. It doesn't have to be expensive, just something good.
It is hard, but hang on in there and let us know how you are getting along.

NZ_Narbetts Jul 11th 2006 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Apple12
Hey there, good for you for posting. Don't forget that even if you only moved to the other end of the British Isles you would still be in the situation of not knowing anyone... especially for the first few weeks. How old are the children and are they heading off to school and/or kindy next week? My advice, FWIW, would be to try not to pass on your fears to them, a big part of their settling in ok will be due to your example, easy to say I know.
I think you need to build in a treat/sightseeing into your week next week, something to look forward to that you can do with the kids or by yourself, something that is not connected with the chores that need to be done when shifting. It doesn't have to be expensive, just something good.
It is hard, but hang on in there and let us know how you are getting along.

Thanks for you kind words Apple. Kids are 7, 5 & 2. Haven't sorted schools yet as we dont know if were staying in this area as hubbys job is in Levin....about a 30 minute drive from here (paraparaumu). I'm gonna take your advise and do something good with the kids this week. I feel bad them stuck in the car driving around looking at houses and land, it's starting to drive me mad. I let you know how i get on

poppets Jul 12th 2006 7:26 am

Thanks for you kind words Apple. Kids are 7, 5 & 2. Haven't sorted schools yet as we dont know if were staying in this area as hubbys job is in Levin....about a 30 minute drive from here (paraparaumu). I'm gonna take your advise and do something good with the kids this week. I feel bad them stuck in the car driving around looking at houses and land, it's starting to drive me mad. I let you know how i get on

Hi,
I'm in Waikanae, pm me if you fancy meeting up for a cuppa, i have 2 kids (5 & 3) in school & kindy here. We,ve been in NZ 3 months & spent 5 weeks staying with friends in Levin! i think the schools in both areas are quite good from what i understand
good luck

shepslady Jul 12th 2006 3:09 pm

Congrats on baby kiwi! Your read made me cry! I've been here a week and i feel like we've made a big mistake. I know i have to give it time. We have 3 children and know no- one. My hubby starts work next week and i'm scared i'm gonna be down and depressed

Hi NZ Narbetts

I think all of us who have moved away from the comfort of familiar surroundings know exactly how your feeling. Of course its scarey but dont let it get you down or depressed. Just take it one day at a time & remember only little steps at a time. Look on the bright side at least you have the children with you & that has to be some comfort. When I made the move to the US from NZ I left all my family behind in NZ. In the US I didnt know a soul except my husband & when he went off to work each day I felt so alone but rather than let it get me down I decided to get out there & explore a little. I got to know the shop assistants, who made me feel most welcome & although I wasnt making a lot of friends I still had adult people to talk to during my day.
Its early days for you yet & if you give it time things will get easier. Take up any offers for coffee etc & hopefully it wont be too long before your making new friends of your own, be they other expats or kiwis. Just keep your chin up & remember we are all thinking of you.

good luck

Shepslady