Reload this Page >

A year and a half in New Zealand and still no job

A year and a half in New Zealand and still no job

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Suzelah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A year and a half in New Zealand and still no job

Originally Posted by jarv5116 View Post
how comes your applying for a new WTR after you have applied for residence on a WTR visa?
Has your husband changed jobs?
no, same job but no word yet that ours will be extended. Instead we have to apply for a new wtr whilst residency visa being processed. 😪
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Scheck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Suzelah View Post
Hi all

I wonder if any of you lovely people have figured out how to get a permanent job on an open work visa?

We moved to Timaru in the South Island a little over a year and a half ago. My husband has a work to residence visa and I am on an open work visa.

Back in the UK I had an excellent job as an in-house travel copywriter which I loved. The best I have been able to do here is as a temp office assistant. I enjoyed it as it got me out of the house and I got to experience New Zealand work life. It was a filler role whilst they restructured although I was really doing the new role any way. When I got let go I cried. They were tears of frustation because no matter how hard I worked to prove myself it didn't matter because I don't yet have residency.

I have applied for loads of jobs and if I put down that I have a work visa I never hear back. When I do get an interview, as soon as they hear I don't have residency yet, they don't want to know. We can apply in a couple of months but who knows how long it will take to be processed given the current delays.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a way round it or is it just me?

(Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask but it has really consumed my life and is a huge part of my experience here. It has really knocked my confidence and impacted my relationship)
Yes I am/was in a similar position. We arrived in September 2019 and my husband is on the talent visa while I'm on a partner of a worker visa. We're due to apply for residency this year, so some of these replies make me nervous! What the heck are INZ doing?!?

Anyway, when I found it difficult to get a job, I went self employed instead to sold the problem. I'm not a copywriter though. I worked in e-commerce but had a photography/graphic design side gig which I have been able to expand from home whilst being a SAHM. Obviously if you're looking to get out the house and experience NZ work culture it might not be the route you're looking for!

Last edited by Scheck; Feb 23rd 2021 at 3:23 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

no, same job but no word yet that ours will be extended. Instead we have to apply for a new wtr whilst residency visa being processed. 😪
Why do you have to apply for a new WTR visa thou?
I went to a immigration officer few weekz ago.
I'm in process of applying for my residence visa now i have done the 24 months already.
The immigration officer told me I just need a work visa till my residence visa is processed.
She quite cheap aswell if your looking for one.
She charged 3700 for me my wife and kids residence application. My baby visitor visa and my wife and my work visas that I need to see me through till I get residence.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 6:18 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you have to apply for a new WTR visa thou?
Yes. I am a bit confused on that.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Suzelah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Yes. I am a bit confused on that.
INZ advised that because our WTR (and all the othee visas tied to it) expires in Dec 2021, and we can't apply until June 2021 for residency, by the time residency visa has been processed, our curreny WTR will have run out. So to cover the shortfall we have to apply for a new one so we can stay in the counyry. So we have to pay because they have a backlog. It's rubbish but our hands are tied unless we want to leave the country whilst waiting for residency to come through.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

INZ advised that because our WTR (and all the othee visas tied to it) expires in Dec 2021, and we can't apply until June 2021 for residency, by the time residency visa has been processed, our curreny WTR will have run out. So to cover the shortfall we have to apply for a new one so we can stay in the counyry. So we have to pay because they have a backlog. It's rubbish but our hands are tied unless we want to leave the country whilst waiting for residency to come through.
I'm no immigration expert.
But I think someone is trying to fleece you out of money as the WTR visas are more expensive than a work visa.
I'm in the same situation and I don't need a new WTR. I just need a normal work visa to see me through till my residence visa has been granted.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 11:12 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no immigration expert.
But I think someone is trying to fleece you out of money as the WTR visas are more expensive than a work visa.
I'm in the same situation and I don't need a new WTR. I just need a normal work visa to see me through till my residence visa has been granted.

Yes. That would be my understanding here. A WTR visa is actually no different to a temp work visa . It is just the criteria that differs a little to enable the temp work visa/permit to lead to residency.
The other visas tag on to this.