Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

is "It Xmas Time " ?

is "It Xmas Time " ?

Old Dec 16th 2012, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future
Default Re: is "It Xmas Time " ?

I can't reconcile myself to having a barbecue for Christmas dinner. Very unfestive.

A cold glazed ham is the way to go. Suitable for the weather and traditional. Still, I'd give my right arm for goose.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 5:47 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Christmas in summer . What's to celebrate ?
Thats kind of missing the point eh? The point of the religious side of Christmas is valid wherever you are and whatever the weather, if you go with the timing of Christmas being set in order to break up the long Euro winter then that doesnt really apply here.

Its time off with the family, concentrate on that side of it and enjoy!
Old Dec 16th 2012, 6:03 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

everyone keeps telling us that it always rains on Christmas day, wots not european about that

I can tell you I won't miss the hail, the snow, couple of years ago had a family do and the roads were horrendous, cancelling get togethers cos some one has the flu/cold etc. mind you being on the other side of the world may just as well still be in the UK apart from the fact I don't think we would skype anyone if we were there.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Same here, I will go through the motions and try to whip up some festive spirit, but by crikey I'll have to dig hard this year. Feeling it less than ever.
Don't jump down my throat....but i have to ask - so what makes up festive spirit to you?

Originally Posted by love30stm
Yes this will be our 6th Christmas here, never the same but I will still enjoy spending time with my hubby and girls, eating drinking, watching movies and making the most if it, especially if the weather is good. But yes that Christmas feeling has gone since living here. I'm only glad that my kids had great memories of cold dark winter Christmases when they were little.

Just embrace it people its soon over.
Totally agree - nah it doesn't "feel" like Christmas but its about being with the people close to you and having a nice day - just here you get to do it in sunshine (hopefully). Its best to try and embrace what you have rather than keep pining after what you used to have.

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
My OH's aunt and uncle have been in NZ (from UK) for 30 years now and they say they are still not used to Christmas in the sunshine. We experienced a Kiwi Christmas last year and quite liked it. It felt weird in the sunshine but I liked the laid back approach. In the UK it's so commercial and all about presents and who's spending how much on who and who's getting who what. Tis all quite stressful TBH!
With you on this one too.....I'm not feeling very Christmassy and have always hated the pressure of this list of people I had to buy presents for and getting them something nice. If I give a gift I like to put effort into it so its something that the person will like and use and appreciate, rather something that gets shoved in a cupboard. I just found it so commercial and you must you must you must. This year, I've suggested to our friends - how do you feel about not doing presents? Everyone is on board....apart from one friend.

She said that to her Christmas is about giving presents to the people in your life that you love. (???) I told her not to get me anything as I am not buying presents for anyone . She said she will cause she wants to but not to worry as it will just be something cheap and homemade....hmmmm

Originally Posted by simonsi
Thats kind of missing the point eh? The point of the religious side of Christmas is valid wherever you are and whatever the weather, if you go with the timing of Christmas being set in order to break up the long Euro winter then that doesnt really apply here.

Exactly - as per my thing with my friend and the present. Just enjoy the time off. Its all very well Christmas in the UK falling in the middle of winter and giving most people a little break, BUT its not like you have great weather to go with it and the roads are jam packed full of people trying to get here there and everywhere.

I can't wait for Christmas....only another few days to go. We have approximately 20 "orphans" gathering at our friends house and its a big pitch in effort. One of the boys is bringing his marquee (just in case of some bad weather) and lights and other bits and pieces. Another of the boys is a chef - he's ordering all our food wholesale and has organised a whole pig on a spit. My and a mate are gonna do all the prep, a few roast chooks, stuff for the bbq and an array of salads and some other peeps are making some desserts. Its BYO booze and ice :-) No its not turkey and all the trimmings but this is gonna be just as festive but far more relaxing!

Boxing Day - instead of spending the day sitting at a friends house - We're off to the races!
A couple of days later we're off to Whitianga to see in New Years at a festival!

UK Christmas? cold
Old Dec 16th 2012, 6:51 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
everyone keeps telling us that it always rains on Christmas day, wots not european about that

I can tell you I won't miss the hail, the snow, couple of years ago had a family do and the roads were horrendous, cancelling get togethers cos some one has the flu/cold etc. mind you being on the other side of the world may just as well still be in the UK apart from the fact I don't think we would skype anyone if we were there.
It was hot Xmas eve, Xmas day and Boxing Day last year, think its going to rain this year but warm
Old Dec 16th 2012, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by _0v0_
I can't reconcile myself to having a barbecue for Christmas dinner. Very unfestive.

A cold glazed ham is the way to go. Suitable for the weather and traditional. Still, I'd give my right arm for goose.
We usually have a BBQ Christmas Eve, and I do a glazed ham on Xmas day and pavlova for dessert, yummy
Old Dec 16th 2012, 6:59 pm

Uk Christmas is all about who can spend the most on people, crowded shops, jam packed and no parking places! People getting hammered in the pubs and throwing up in the streets

I constantly see on my Facebook timeline about friends are shopping, panicking, cold. Then there is the very long cold January! Where as we look forward to summer! I think I can live with it

I'm off to the town later to get a few more things, always find a parking space and no jam packed shops, pleasure
Old Dec 16th 2012, 7:45 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi

Didn't make any reference what so ever to the religious aspect of Christmas. I'm a little bit annoyed to be told I was missing the point, but, Merry Christmas in your jandals anyway.

Just making a personal observation of my own view.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 7:58 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
I can't wait for Christmas....only another few days to go. We have approximately 20 "orphans" gathering at our friends house and its a big pitch in effort. One of the boys is bringing his marquee (just in case of some bad weather) and lights and other bits and pieces. Another of the boys is a chef - he's ordering all our food wholesale and has organised a whole pig on a spit. My and a mate are gonna do all the prep, a few roast chooks, stuff for the bbq and an array of salads and some other peeps are making some desserts. Its BYO booze and ice :-) No its not turkey and all the trimmings but this is gonna be just as festive but far more relaxing!

Boxing Day - instead of spending the day sitting at a friends house - We're off to the races!
A couple of days later we're off to Whitianga to see in New Years at a festival!

UK Christmas? cold
Sounds great!

Yes Christmas may be cold and festive in the UK and some of you may feel you are missing out on that. But it gets more and more commercial as time goes on. It rubs off on the kids and all they care about is presents, presents and more presents. I'm usually well into the Christmas spirit by now but it's difficult when you're stressing about presents and money! Never mind, I'll man up and get on with it

OK so Christmas may not be everyone's cup of tea in the sunshine but it can't be that bad and there are a lot of people in the world a lot worse off so lets count our blessings.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch

OK so Christmas may not be everyone's cup of tea in the sunshine but it can't be that bad and there are a lot of people in the world a lot worse off so lets count our blessings.
So very true, especially on recent events in the media
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:30 pm

Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:53 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

This will be our eighth (crikey) Christmas here.

Today it has just started to filter through that it is actually going to be Christmas next week. No shopping done, put up the tree though and the kids are getting hyper excited.

Meantime its currently 28 degrees outside, my wife is in denial (she is from Finland) and I am dreading heading to the supermarket this weekend.

But everything comes right on the day, based on previous years. We tend to make Christmas eve as the day of celebration, with a BBQ and some good wine. Christmas day is all about the kids and playing with their toys, eating leftovers, and taking it easy.

It is in its way a odd time of year, it took us a while to adjust and I think we are still finding our way. Hopefully in a couple of years we can take our kids to Lapland to see Santa and enjoy a Finnish Christmas (vodka, unspeakably bad food, 24 hour darkness....yay).
Old Dec 17th 2012, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MrsFychan;10436531]everyone keeps telling us that it always rains on Christmas day, wots not european about that

Not last year, twas baking hot on Paekok beach.
Kaz
Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:49 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Didn't make any reference what so ever to the religious aspect of Christmas. I'm a little bit annoyed to be told I was missing the point, but, Merry Christmas in your jandals anyway.

Just making a personal observation of my own view.
No, I didn't mean it that way, I meant there are only two things to celebrate at Christmas, one can't be moved cos of the religious aspect, the other was to break up the long Euro winter, which doesn't apply here so just take the opportunity for a few days off with the family - which is always good isn't it?

You asked "whats to celebrate?"....
Old Dec 17th 2012, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't care less for the religious aspects.

I like the build up to Christmas in the UK, the fun, the office parties and long boozy lunches.
I like the weeks of preparation baking cakes and making puddings with copius amounts of brandy
I like shopping in the cold, Christmas Carols, warm cozy house all full of Chrisitmas decos, pine cones, and trees and lights and fires.
I like the fuss, the cards, the presents and the extravagance.
Most of all I like sharing it all with people I care about and seeing family and friends, going visiting, seeing the littlies and being made a fuss of by the oldies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.