Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Xmas in New Zealand

Xmas in New Zealand

Old Dec 15th 2007, 10:18 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Xmas in New Zealand

So how many of you new arrivals are finding the whole idea that it's Christmas NEXT WEEK really hard????

I've tried everything from CD's, closing the curtains and pretending, to following the Sally Army at the local Xmas Parade last week and STILL I can't seem to make the connection of a) it's December b) It's summer!! and c) It's only 9 sleeps til Santa

Anyone else feel the same? Any ideas in how to find that Christmas spirit (that doesn't involve a bottle people!! )
Old Dec 15th 2007, 11:03 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xmas in New Zealand

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
So how many of you new arrivals are finding the whole idea that it's Christmas NEXT WEEK really hard????

I've tried everything from CD's, closing the curtains and pretending, to following the Sally Army at the local Xmas Parade last week and STILL I can't seem to make the connection of a) it's December b) It's summer!! and c) It's only 9 sleeps til Santa

Anyone else feel the same? Any ideas in how to find that Christmas spirit (that doesn't involve a bottle people!! )
Sarah, it's just not happening in my house. Maybe because the girl is not going to be here for the Christmas period - maybe because Christmas doesn't occur in summer.........for whatever reason, there is no Xmas fesitivity in my home...............I don't feel bad,sad or lonely or anything else: it's just not happening.............
Karen X
Old Dec 15th 2007, 11:04 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Our first one too. Tried all the same tricks but have given up. Can't recreate the Christmas 'feel' we're used to. But then I figured all the things that make it 'feel' Christmassy are simply things we became accustomed to because of where we were born and how we were brought up. Had we have been born in another country we'd be missing other/different traditions and smells and feelings. The true meaning of Christmas doesn't change wherever you are or however you celebrate it. So basically I guess I'm saying change your perspective and embrace this chance to enjoy new traditions and different surroundings; just go with the flow and enjoy it.

I am actually looking forward now to having the day to ourselves. I don't have to get up early to prepare the turkey, or panic that I don't have enough or the right kinds of food, sauces, creams, etc to please everyone. I don't have to have my day timed to perfection in order to please a bunch of people who, although I love them dearly, are only going to sit in my home complaining about Christmas tv and arguing over what to watch and then snoring their way through it anyway as I spend the day enslaved in the kitchen at their every beck and call and actually 'missing' Christmas day altogether. And there won't be all those dirty dishes, roasting tins, saucepans, best china and special jugs and bowls etc that only come out for show once a year to be washed and dried and put away again at the end of a stressful, strained day.

Am very much looking forward to starting our day ripping open all the presents without having to wait for relatives to arrive first, breakfasting in the hot tub, easy BBQ lunch at whatever time we damn well please and actually being able to play with kids presents and leave whatever we want lying around without having to tell kids to shove it all in their bedrooms as we need the space, no they can't open the box now as they need to clean up and put on best clothes and be on best behaviour etc so as not to upset any rellies. It's going to be so much more relaxed and laid back and so I am looking forward to it, whether it 'feels' like Christmas or not!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 11:46 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids are lying on the floor in front of the Chrissy tree, both with beanies and hoodies on (think I need to turn the air con up ) they're excited as anything about Christmas and already have their stockings ready for Santa and the sign outside the door. Both are high school age but that doesn't seem to worry them at all

Got the last of the pressies today and had them wrapped at the charity stall for a gold coin donation whilst listening to a jazz band strolling around Robina shopping centre playing christmas carols New Orleans style, very festive .
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

It's not our first Christmas in NZ and you do get used to it. We have had the carol service with Santa arriving on the fire truck, the local Christmas parade which is really festive, Christmas parties at work and the neighbours always come round with home made mince pies and a Christmas cake. Plenty of houses are decorated and have their Chrissy lights on and we do the full what we are used to Christmas dinner. The best thing we found is our employers close down so we get 2 weeks off...fab!

Last edited by phil01; Dec 15th 2007 at 7:31 pm. Reason: taken quote out
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Yep. Our first one too. Tried all the same tricks but have given up. Can't recreate the Christmas 'feel' we're used to. But then I figured all the things that make it 'feel' Christmassy are simply things we became accustomed to because of where we were born and how we were brought up. Had we have been born in another country we'd be missing other/different traditions and smells and feelings. The true meaning of Christmas doesn't change wherever you are or however you celebrate it. So basically I guess I'm saying change your perspective and embrace this chance to enjoy new traditions and different surroundings; just go with the flow and enjoy it.

I am actually looking forward now to having the day to ourselves. I don't have to get up early to prepare the turkey, or panic that I don't have enough or the right kinds of food, sauces, creams, etc to please everyone. I don't have to have my day timed to perfection in order to please a bunch of people who, although I love them dearly, are only going to sit in my home complaining about Christmas tv and arguing over what to watch and then snoring their way through it anyway as I spend the day enslaved in the kitchen at their every beck and call and actually 'missing' Christmas day altogether. And there won't be all those dirty dishes, roasting tins, saucepans, best china and special jugs and bowls etc that only come out for show once a year to be washed and dried and put away again at the end of a stressful, strained day.

Am very much looking forward to starting our day ripping open all the presents without having to wait for relatives to arrive first, breakfasting in the hot tub, easy BBQ lunch at whatever time we damn well please and actually being able to play with kids presents and leave whatever we want lying around without having to tell kids to shove it all in their bedrooms as we need the space, no they can't open the box now as they need to clean up and put on best clothes and be on best behaviour etc so as not to upset any rellies. It's going to be so much more relaxed and laid back and so I am looking forward to it, whether it 'feels' like Christmas or not!

You hit the nail on the head.
This is our 2nd Christmas, last year was wonderful, not Christmasy as we have known it but so relaxing. Kids were able to play with their new toys, then friends round mid afteroon for BBQ but we shared the food preparation so no stress.
The only down side if spending the first couple of hours phoning the UK speaking to rellies, then having to do it all again later that night or next morning for their Christmas.
Wouldn't swap for the UK Christmas at the moment.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:02 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Wouldn't swap for the UK Christmas at the moment.
Ditto that!

Kiwi Christmas carol!

Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

ditto too thanks for the carol mate It's lovely

some lovely photos from Welly
Attached Thumbnails Xmas in New Zealand-welly-water-front.jpg   Xmas in New Zealand-awelly_4_ship.jpg   Xmas in New Zealand-awelly_1.jpg   Xmas in New Zealand-awelly_2_oriental_bay.jpg   Xmas in New Zealand-awellingtons-most-central-beach.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Dec 16th 2007 at 11:02 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I always had my christmas shopping done by beginning of October cause I can't stand shopping in December (only time Carl knows I won't spend loads! LOL). Here I'm not finished and Christmas is NEXT WEEK !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jordan only has 1 present

ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I've been too busy sunbathing etc. and just 'forgot' Christmas is approaching fast
Old Dec 17th 2007, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

It's our third Xmas here and I've decided not to bother really. I've bought pressies for the folks back home but myself and OH would prefer to save up for something bigger like a spa

Can't get in the Christmas mood at all so have decided to treat it as a nice day off work instead...
Old Dec 18th 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

erm.. 7.30 pm... Great! I am always working late! I am really looking forward to the holidays!!! After a total of at least sixteen busy weeks of working on the cr*p project since mid-August, I'm ready to spend some time with my family back home again. Most of all, I can't wait to give my filthywork clothes a thorough washing, sleep a lot, take a walk on the beach and cook myself a nice meal. I'm even looking forward to shopping at the corner grocery at Petone, where I'll finally be able to find my favourite Arrabiata sauce and whole-grain pasta. It is indeed the small things which make all the difference.

It's our twelfth Xmas since my family moved to NZ and have never got in the Christmas mood anyway here, therefore why would I even bother?

I've also bought pressies for family and the folks back home but myself no big plans...just take things as they come and enjoy the time together.

Aaaarrrrghhhhhhh Yesterday was a super tired Blue Monday! Indeed, Lack of sleep does more than make us tired

Libby
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo

I am really looking forward to spending my xmas just like this.

Perfectly said. I can't wait.

Nici
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kev&sarah

Reckon we could dress Kev and Mark up in Santa suits
Now wouldnt they be happy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 1:31 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

With only few days to go now, have to say I am looking forward to Xmas day, have all pressies now, except wetsuits, will have to all go out together to get them, have a bit of lunch out and make it a nice day. Then just having a quiet day at home on THE DAY, we do want to venture to beach in afternoon aswell, just to see how many are about, kids will want to put wetsuits on i bet aswell. Have had stressful few weeks, securing job offer and visa's, so now can only relax and enjoy. Going on break aswell, taking overlander train from Auckland to Welly ,stay the night, and back up again, will be nice a relaxing for OH, no driving for him.
Hope everyone has great time, and us newbies don't miss home too much.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

PVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of lightPVFC is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=kev&sarah;5671306]So how many of you new arrivals are finding the whole idea that it's Christmas NEXT WEEK really hard????

Last edited by PVFC; Dec 19th 2007 at 1:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.