British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Xmas and Hogmanay in Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/xmas-hogmanay-auckland-770983/)

swmbo63 Sep 9th 2012 6:54 am

Xmas and Hogmanay in Auckland

Hi coming to Auckland for Xmas and Hogmanay.
What sort of things are happening at this time of year and any recommendations of things to do and see? Thanks

hazeandsteve Sep 9th 2012 7:13 am

Re: Xmas and Hogmanay in Auckland

You'll have a more Jockanese time in the South of the South.
If you feel the need to bring hogmanay half way round the world, could I also recommend a traditional Spanish or Greek fried breakfast and a pint of Tetley's on one of many Mediterranean islands.

swmbo63 Sep 9th 2012 7:25 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 10271113)
You'll have a more Jockanese time in the South of the South.
If you feel the need to bring hogmanay half way round the world, could I also recommend a traditional Spanish or Greek fried breakfast and a pint of Tetley's on one of many Mediterranean islands.

Not coming half way around the world just across the Tasman.
:huh:
Thanks anyway.

Justcol Sep 9th 2012 8:59 am

Errr....nothing happens, xmas is the middle of summer and most people are away on their summer holidays
New years is mostly "round to a friends party" so the city is really just pissed kids puking everywhere
followed by fireworks from the skytower that that last a couple of minutes, its all very underwhelming.....sorry :unsure:

Bo-Jangles Sep 9th 2012 9:09 am

Auckland is pretty dead at Christmas and New Year, as most will have headed out of town on summer holidays or overseas to be with families etc. The only thing that happens on NYE are a few fireworks at midnight from the Skytower. They're often a big disappointment and will probably be even more so this year, what with Kim Dotcom having a bit of a cashflow problemo and not having access to the readies this year.

Weather permitting, everyone who is left in Auckland seems to head for the beaches at the regional parks, so best to try and steer clear if you want avoid the crowds.

Hellie73 Sep 10th 2012 3:35 am

25th November Auckland city Santa parade, (smaller scale NY thanksgiving parade) but lots of fun for the family.
Always fireworks for new years down the quay side but it was a bit foggy last year.
Bring your sun cream and head for the beach christmas in the sunshine it has to be tried at least once.
Have lots of fun:D

hazeandsteve Sep 10th 2012 3:46 am

Like I said, you'll probably have more joy with the Hibbiddies down South.