Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Xmas gift ideas - help please

Xmas gift ideas - help please

Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:28 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Xmas gift ideas - help please

Hi there

Would like some ideas for Xmas voucher type gifts for NZ that we can buy from the UK.

Not sure it's possible, but would we be able to buy vouchers for Woolworths or Foodtown (or Farmers?) and send them directly to her; anyone know? Or can we send her money, without incorporating the £25 wire fee?

Not exciting I know; we'll send her a token gift to open on the day, but know she could do with the extra little help. I was thinking she could spoil herself with some wine and nice treats. I do have a good friend who lives about 25 minutes away from her who could facilitate this for me, but would prefer to do it myself if possible.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Alternatively, has anyone actually sent cash via a next dayish air mail service? I'm guessing cash may not be allowed, although many business and personal documents would be far more valuable than the $200 or so that we would like to send.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xmas gift ideas - help please

Have only sent Flowers through a web site, but they were brilliant, followed instructions to the letter and delivered them all the way up the very long track. If it's any help I'll find the web address?
Apart from that ,sent 'goodies' via normal mail, always made sure to put detailed customs note on and no problems so far!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:04 am

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Have only sent Flowers through a web site, but they were brilliant, followed instructions to the letter and delivered them all the way up the very long track. If it's any help I'll find the web address?
Apart from that ,sent 'goodies' via normal mail, always made sure to put detailed customs note on and no problems so far!

Thank you. We have sent gifts for years now, but wanted to send her something a bit more (financially) helpful this year.

Interestingly, I'm also about to send her some flowers, since she's just had an operation. Was thinking of using All Seasons Flowers in Mairangi Bay, unless I'm advised otherwise? Seem more reasonable than other ridiculously expensive florists I've found online. ($100 for 6 roses; who on Earth?! Not that I'm buying roses.)
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I used ReadyFlowers, not sure of prices this year or whether they cover the area you want, mine went to Helensville, north/west of Auckland.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

I have always sent money to my friends kids from Uk to NZ in a double envelope......and ???? naughtily not mentioned on the slip that money was in the envelope.......why draw attention to it??? It always got here intact. You may not want to take the chance though,but I never had a problem before.

Phyl x
Old Nov 1st 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hi there

Would like some ideas for Xmas voucher type gifts for NZ that we can buy from the UK.

Not sure it's possible, but would we be able to buy vouchers for Woolworths or Foodtown (or Farmers?) and send them directly to her; anyone know? Or can we send her money, without incorporating the £25 wire fee?

Not exciting I know; we'll send her a token gift to open on the day, but know she could do with the extra little help. I was thinking she could spoil herself with some wine and nice treats. I do have a good friend who lives about 25 minutes away from her who could facilitate this for me, but would prefer to do it myself if possible.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Alternatively, has anyone actually sent cash via a next dayish air mail service? I'm guessing cash may not be allowed, although many business and personal documents would be far more valuable than the $200 or so that we would like to send.
hi have you tried looking on there web sites, to send from within nz
Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

If you both had paypal accounts, I think you can use that to transfer money and then she could move it from paypal into her bank account. I'm not sure what charges if any apply though.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by concretepump
hi have you tried looking on there web sites, to send from within nz
No, but I will.

I was hoping to find out whether anyone had done something similar and if so, what. Usually someone would come up with something I hadn't thought of myself; like the Paypal option! I don't think she has a Paypal account though, but will check. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks guys.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Try sending them a giftcard www.giftstation.co.nz
Old Nov 1st 2009, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by sarahw
Try sending them a giftcard www.giftstation.co.nz

THAT IS IT! Thank you so much.

And is that Sarah from Peterborough living in Beachland/s (?), or a different Sarah? It's been a long while.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm bumping this because SarahW posted such a great linky.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
THAT IS IT! Thank you so much.

And is that Sarah from Peterborough living in Beachland/s (?), or a different Sarah? It's been a long while.
No different Sarah - that's SarahB you were thinking of
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:17 am
`

A little Santa bumpety bump for this thread.

--------------------------------
Your helpful Xmas NZ mods.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:20 am
`

I have just used Voucher Express to send a gift voucher back to the UK