Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

wwhoops how embarassing

wwhoops how embarassing

Old May 9th 2014, 11:36 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default wwhoops how embarassing

so on the way home after a rather excellent night out drove into a police check point. all good as not a drop had passed my lips. Only ever having had one breathalyser test before back in UK in my early 20's,with that you had to blow into a tube so I was a bit confused on what I was supposed to do as could not see a tube to blow down. finally understood that I had to just speak into the device, count to 10. well get to 4 and policemen said I could stop and showed me all clear. well that was the point it got kinda of got awkward and cringe worthy for me. The device had buttons on it, two grey ones next to each other and a larger pink one in the middle below them. So what do I do - start laughing and saying OMG it looks like a pig. god I could just curl up and die. luckily Mr Policemen did not take offence and sent us on our way.
Old May 9th 2014, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Toodles23 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wwhoops how embarassing

I got stopped during a holiday in NZ in 2006... I asked what I was supposed to do as he held it to my mouth as I couldn't see the tube. He just responded "you've done it". So I passed the alcohol check, not so sure my mental capacity to drive was confirmed though.
Old May 9th 2014, 4:28 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes have those mouth opens before brain kicks in moments.

I've only been breathalysed once and that was in Chch. I was also confused about what to do, I kept moving my head away to look for the tube. Why the policeman didn't explain what to do right from the start is beyond me, it would have taken much less time!
Old May 9th 2014, 7:18 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

That's one to tell your grandchildren.....

I've only been breathalysed in NZ. The police at the check point just asked for my name and address which I spoke into the device and got the all clear as I hadn't had a drop of alcohol.

I just thought it was a quick way of recording my details rather than writing it down. No, dear, I said to myself, that's a breath test !

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 9th 2014 at 7:21 pm. Reason: Thought of something else
Old May 9th 2014, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think those 'mic' things just detect a certain level of alcohol on your breath and if they do detect anything they then pull you over to do the full on breathalyser blow into the bag thing, before they can cart you off to the nick.

I always get lost for words and forget where I live.
Old May 9th 2014, 10:25 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
. The device had buttons on it, two grey ones next to each other and a larger pink one in the middle below them. So what do I do - start laughing and saying OMG it looks like a pig. god I could just curl up and die. luckily Mr Policemen did not take offence and sent us on our way.
I love it. Made me giggle .