British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wow!!! I can see.......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wow-i-can-see-443715/)

Yorksha Apr 20th 2007 6:21 pm

Wow!!! I can see..........

........ well almost:blink:

Just returned from having Laser eye surgery. The treatment was so fast ( about 2-3 mins per eye) Thing is I can't partake in any sport for a whole month:( on the other hand I can't have a shower either so that makes me happy( I like to smell manly):eek: I hate baths:( ( probably down to my Mum putting me in the sink when I was younger and pouring water over my head from a measuring jug. Left me with a phobia especially as there is six of us and I was the last in)

So out with the NHS glasses and bring on the beer goggles:beer:

I feel liberated:thumbsup:

Suicide Sheep Apr 20th 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Wow!!! I can see..........

Glad to here that all is well after the surgery :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Karma coming your way.:thumbup:

Maz1 Apr 20th 2007 9:52 pm

Hi, thats great news. I am thinking about it myself. If you don't mind here's a few question coming your way.
*Is it painful?
*Can you see straight away?
*Do you have to wear the eye patches at night?
*Where did you go?
*Cost per eye?
I understand if the last question is a it personal, feel free to pm me with the answers. Cheers.:thumbsup:

Lenmil Apr 20th 2007 11:31 pm

Let me know how it works, i am a goldsmith by trade and wear specks. Always wondered about having my peeps lasered. Anyway god luck to you, did you have this done in NZ?

BEVS Apr 21st 2007 1:05 am

I had this surgery done about ten years back to my badly damaged right eye. [ very bad RTA when I woz 19]
I have to say that the result was brilliant. :thumbup: oops should be :thumbsup: the other smilie has glasses on. :p

Yorksha Apr 21st 2007 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Maz1 (Post 4674831)
Hi, thats great news. I am thinking about it myself. If you don't mind here's a few question coming your way.
*Is it painful?
*Can you see straight away?
*Do you have to wear the eye patches at night?
*Where did you go?
*Cost per eye?
I understand if the last question is a it personal, feel free to pm me with the answers. Cheers.:thumbsup:

Thanks all!!:D

*No the initial surgery wasn't painful at all. Didn't feel a thing just a little pressure on the eye. Noticed a significant difference straight away :thumbsup: !!
* I have to wear some rather unflattering goggles in bed ( more like over sized sunbed ones) so I don't rub my eyes or catch them in my sleep. I do have to wear my sunglasses for a week as my eyes seem to be a little light sensitive at the mo.
* Optical Express! I had my first consultation at Sheffield and 2 weeks later surgery at Nottingham. I have to go back to Sheffield for a check up this morning and then others at regular periods from then on ranging from 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months etc
*It ranges but the marketing says from about £400 per eye. This depends on your own prescription and what type of surgery you want ( Lasek or Lasik). My prescription wasn't that bad and I was short sighted and only needed glasses for driving. The total cost was just over £2000 :eek: in the end ( for both eyes) as the surgeon recommended a different treatment on the day due to my sporting interests and cornea shape :confused: etc. I had Lasek in the end which unfortunately has a longer healing time but a bit cheaper!! Got a refund of £600.
* I can't shower or do any sport for a month and can't work for a week ( that doesn't matter as I'm taking a career break anyway)

The service was extremely professional and I'm glad I had it done. I am in a little pain ( eyes feel as though I've got grit in them) but have 4 different types of drops to put in over a monthly period. ( I'm writing this at 3.30am as I can't :zzz: due to wearing the goggles but eyes feel much better) Over all I will have saved on buying contact lenses and designer glasses in the end.

Hope this helps!!