Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wow Gas Central heating

Wow Gas Central heating

Old Jul 11th 2014, 8:44 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wow Gas Central heating

moonie are you on NG as well ?
Old Jul 12th 2014, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stormer999
moonie are you on NG as well ?
Yes
Old Jul 12th 2014, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

kiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to behold

I can't wait for my gas central heating - we settle on Monday and the house has heating already

Moonie I wonder if it's the person who used to own my house who fitted yours! Buying off an ex pat plumber
Old Jul 13th 2014, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

We are fairly open plan. When we renovated back in the day we looked into heating and went for a wood burner, a Metro Wee Rad. I think the cost including reasonably bespoke flue system was just under $3K. We've got the radiant one, and do cook on it quite often.

Wood costs are about $150-200 a year (2 or 3 cubic metres, depends on the year) delivered to the property. I just have to stack it.

The kids bedrooms have those flat panel heaters on a timer (usually one hour at 6am) + a boost very now and then at night-time. We also use heated blankets in the beds - those get put on maybe a dozen times a year for an hour before bedtime.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Hurtle is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interested in this topic, I guess the fact it's cold focuses your attention!
We bought a 1990 house in May 2013, which needed total renovation, as it had been rented out for about 6 years and definitely not loved.We had just started ripping it apart, when we were both made redundant (9 months after arriving in NZ to work for this company).
We are now 12 months on and have started a new business and are getting back on our feet. We've been using oil heaters and eco panels so far, but it's a bit primitive and most of the house is unheated. Hopefully by next winter we will be able to afford some proper heating (and carpets!), so I'm interested to hear about opinions of gas ducted heating and radiators. Installation costs, running cost pro's and con's generally.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
have you had a bill yet?
Got our first bill, $490, but it is the middle of winter and I have it on most days, we also have a spa pool to heat and our house is large, 2 storey, 260m2
Last months bill without the CH was $350 and the house was still freezing, so i am more than happy paying that bit extra for a toasty warm house, it has also stopped any condensation on the windows, the dehumidifier is no longer on as it wasn't collecting any water and the whole house is drying out, so no damp.

Last edited by moonie2011; Jul 26th 2014 at 2:45 am.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:38 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

so does that bill cover just the gas central heating or does it include the electric (heating spa ?) so basically is that the overall cost for all your utilities this last month? or are you expecting another bill
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

so does that bill cover just the gas central heating or does it include the electric (heating spa ?) so basically is that the overall cost for all your utilities this last month? or are you expecting another bill
that's it, both gas and electric, inc heating the spa
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:28 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

that doesn't seem that bad then
how many rads did you get, 5?
Old Jul 26th 2014, 3:50 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Um, perhaps I shouldn't say this but from 17th June to 16th July i.e. our current bill is for $320.83 Discount of $48.13 for prompt payment means that $272.70 is due on 1st August.

Electricity $202.66
Natural Gas $76.32

Other charges and of course, GST make up the rest of the bill

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 26th 2014 at 3:53 am. Reason: rest of the bill
Old Jul 26th 2014, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

that doesn't seem that bad then
how many rads did you get, 5?
Old Jul 26th 2014, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Um, perhaps I shouldn't say this but from 17th June to 16th July i.e. our current bill is for $320.83 Discount of $48.13 for prompt payment means that $272.70 is due on 1st August.

Electricity $202.66
Natural Gas $76.32

Other charges and of course, GST make up the rest of the bill
I am assuming snap shot that you don't have a spa, maybe a smaller house, and don't have two kids that leave the tv on, don't turn off lights and sleep with lights on all night!!!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by moonie2011
10? but how many are you running, not all 10?, you're not heating the rooms downstairs you are not using?

also is that an actual reading or estimate? if estimate how far off are the numbers on the meters?

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jul 26th 2014 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2014, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

10? but how many are you running, not all 10?, you're not heating the rooms downstairs you are not using?

also is that an actual reading or estimate? if estimate how far off are the numbers on the meters?
All of them, downstairs they are all on low as the kids use the rumpus to play in, and the bathroom and bedroom Paul's uses it early every morning.

It's an actual reading as I saw the man checking the meters a week or so ago
Old Jul 27th 2014, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Got our first bill, $490,
check with your provider that your on the best rate, if you have lots, or large gas appliances
you can go on a better rate where the gas costs less per unit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.