British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Would you want grocery discount for your recycling? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/would-you-want-grocery-discount-your-recycling-919364/)

Stuck in Auckland Nov 18th 2018 3:39 am

Would you want grocery discount for your recycling?

Do you see value in your grocery packaging?

Online grocer is offering discount on further purchases if you place your waste back in the reusable delivery boxes the groceries are initially delivered in.

They drop off and pick up at a time you want

Gordon Barlow Nov 18th 2018 3:31 pm

Re: Would you want grocery discount for your recycling?

Well, I think this would be a purely token effort. We're having a bit of a discussion in the Caribbean section on the topic of plastic, and none of us feels too strongly about it. There is so much plastic used these days that absent a world government (which God forbid!) that outlaws all plastic usage, nothing significant is going to happen.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 18th 2018 10:44 pm

No I prefer to choose my own groceries. I'm out.

Bo-Jangles Nov 19th 2018 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12595119)
Do you see value in your grocery packaging?

Online grocer is offering discount on further purchases if you place your waste back in the reusable delivery boxes the groceries are initially delivered in.

They drop off and pick up at a time you want

No. Which online grocer are we talking about?

I don't know that we can actually trust anyone here to recycle stuff at the moment, as the facilities are simply not available and last I heard we had trash piling up all over the place hoping to find some other country who is willing to pay the right price to take it of our hands.

Charismatic Nov 20th 2018 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12595401)
There is so much plastic used these days that absent a world government (which God forbid!) that outlaws all plastic usage, nothing significant is going to happen.

Most plastic waste (circa 60%) in the ocean originates in one of six countries (China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam). Most waste in developed countries is buried in landfill or recycled.

What we should really do globally is tariff exports from countries an amount sufficient to remediate the issue each causes.

Gordon Barlow Nov 20th 2018 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12596227)
Most plastic waste (circa 60%) in the ocean originates in one of six countries (China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam). Most waste in developed countries is buried in landfill or recycled. What we should really do globally is tariff exports from countries an amount sufficient to remediate the issue each causes.

Your last sentence is practical only if there is a world government to enforce the necessary laws. Well, we have an enforcer in the shape of the US/Western military-industrial complex, whose military is always ready to bully the producers of the raw materials from which plastic is made. Please, please, let's not have any more of that!

Let's face it: mankind in general is inventive enough to utilise any and all kinds of naturally occurring materials, but not smart enough to un-invent what it has invented. Those six countries you mention - if they are indeed the originators of plastic waste, and not just selected as scapegoats - can only be "brought into line" by Western armies. Would it be more morally defensible if the Western governments were to regulate the production (and use) of all plastics? No. And why not regulate the production and use of all metal products, while we're at it? God forbid!

Stuck in Auckland Jan 19th 2019 3:10 am

60% is from ex processing countries of worlds recycling

Over last 3 years that export has stopped with lower hemisphere material being stored in warehouses

Northern being shipped for burning

Ex Bristol Jan 19th 2019 6:41 pm

Countdown deliver online groceries in paper bags.

Gordon Barlow Jan 19th 2019 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol (Post 12624140)
Countdown deliver online groceries in paper bags.

What goes around, comes around, eh? I can remember when - only 40 or 50 years ago - paper-bags were a no-no because they depleted the rain forests. We were all encouraged to switch to plastic! I wonder how long the preference for paper will last this time...

Ex Bristol Jan 19th 2019 10:04 pm

This has only started within the last couple of weeks I have been using the bags for rubbish but putting the wet rubbish in the veggie bags. If they give a credit I will use it and buy some bin liners.There's no way they can send groceries out loose, but they charge enough for the service.

Bo-Jangles Jan 20th 2019 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol (Post 12624205)
There's no way they can send groceries out loose, but they charge enough for the service.

The My Food Bag and Bargain Box type delivery services put veggies and stuff loose in a box; I tried for while but didn't like it much as everything gets wet with condensation from the cold stuff and ice packs.