Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Would you support Gareth Morgan's new Political party

Would you support Gareth Morgan's new Political party

Old Nov 9th 2016, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Would you support Gareth Morgan's new Political party

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Flat rate tax? with a reasonable personal allowance which NZ doesn't have (every dollar is taxed, except for messy family credit rebates), a flat rate tax can indeed be fair. The richer do pay more, rather than finding ways to avoid things.
Likewise a capital gains tax, again fair.

Pensions - sorry I don't see your point. 'The government issues the currency, so it is never financially constrained, only resource constrained', you suggesting when we can't afford to pay the increased cost of pensions because we're not providing for things now or warning people in advance that the state retirement age will be going up in a staged manner (like most other reasonable countries have done), instead we simply issue more money later, that's simply going to create inflation, no such thing as free money, unless your numbers have come up in tonight's lottery.
Re pensions: The government doesn't need to save money (as in the Cullen Fund) as the government is the source of the NZ Dollar. Why would it need to save it's own money?

Having a national fund doesn't make resources suddenly appear at some future date, and is in fact a handicap as it is suppressing needed growth now.

Inflation is indeed a limiting factor on government's ability to net spend, but as you know, countries around the world are desperate to create some inflation, but seem unable to do so using central bank policy alone.

Mainstream economists don't actually understand macroeconomics as their models are based on microeconomics.
Believe it or not, they don't even include money or banking, nor do they understand basic accounting.

I suggest you read some MMT to get an understand of how governments actually function financially in the economy.

A good starting point would be Eric Tymoigne's "Money & Banking"

Money & Banking - New Economic PerspectivesNew Economic Perspectives
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Now they have published one policy. Their only policy so far.

It is well thought out and well explained. I do like it and so won't write them off as a personality cult which I might otherwise have done.

But it remains to be seen whether a single-issue party can have much of an impact on politics here, but with the representative system in place here it is possible.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think he did a very poor job of explaining and if there was even the vaguest hope of him getting my vote, this just killed it stone dead:

Tax policy bust up: Gareth Morgan trades insults with Paul Henry | Politics | Newshub

I would agree with a capital gains tax but not at all on board with the idea of people being taxed on their home or other assets that they have bought with income that has already been taxed. What incentive is their to do anything other than spend all your income on holidays and having a good time.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think he did a very poor job of explaining and if there was even the vaguest hope of him getting my vote, this just killed it stone dead:

Tax policy bust up: Gareth Morgan trades insults with Paul Henry | Politics | Newshub

I would agree with a capital gains tax but not at all on board with the idea of people being taxed on their home or other assets that they have bought with income that has already been taxed. What incentive is their to do anything other than spend all your income on holidays and having a good time.
Just as vacuous as the rest of them. Sent the party a very uptempo e mail, bigging them up and how much I believed in the man. Sent another missive asking to join the party. What happened? Diddly squat! Nothing. Not a dicky bird. You would have thought, at the inception, bearing in mind only 200 folk joined in the 1st week, that in the last few months they would have found the time to get back to me, just out of sodding couresty eh? I was wrong. This party is not different. Just the same as the rest. Don't give a toss. Mr Morgan you have lost both a supporter and an admirer. You have not lost a member however as your party could not be arsed to join me up. Not a good look is it???? Goodbye.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Yeah, agree with your sentiments.

Though the same self interested interviewing from virtually all commentators last time round that saw Labour's Capital Tax sunk, with them all peddling the myth that included first homes, which neither it nor the Greens alternative did.

You do wonder how National's mouthpieces, Paul Henry & Hosking will survive without their weekly interviews with John Key, maybe they will need counseling.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
Absolutely no way. I can't recall anyone who came across as more of a know-it-all as Morgan.

Anyone remember his attitude to the buying of the beach in Abel Tasman for public use? Said he'd give some money as long as he could have part of it for his own private use. Smug pr1ck.

Gareth has such a large ego its not gonna fit the beehive

No Strings Attached = Genuine

Anything else = Scheming
Old Dec 15th 2016, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Having just listened to his views on immigrants, Im putting him in the Donald Trump / Pauline Hanson basket.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 5:55 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Having just listened to his views on immigrants, Im putting him in the Donald Trump / Pauline Hanson basket.
In with a chance then?
Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Good point JMH. Lol.