Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

would you pay tv licence in NZ

would you pay tv licence in NZ

Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default would you pay tv licence in NZ

Take a look at this link for the Times newspaper and then answer this.....
If NZ tv is as bad as people say, if you were possible, would you pay for a tv licence in NZ like in Britain?
Are the BBC as good as they say they are? With value for money?
Do you feel that its fair having to pay for the BBC for their channels? which we have to pay whether you watch BBC programmes or not, and when all the other channels are free, or you can choose to pay to receive them.

Don't forget to take into account £170 in NZ would be over $400 a year.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...820568,00.html
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: would you pay tv licence in NZ

Originally Posted by planty
Take a look at this link for the Times newspaper and then answer this.....
If NZ tv is as bad as people say, if you were possible, would you pay for a tv licence in NZ like in Britain?
Are the BBC as good as they say they are? With value for money?
Do you feel that its fair having to pay for the BBC for their channels? which we have to pay whether you watch BBC programmes or not, and when all the other channels are free, or you can choose to pay to receive them.

Don't forget to take into account £170 in NZ would be over $400 a year.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...820568,00.html
I'm pretty sure the TV licencing fee has been scrapped in NZ (no one was paying it anyway).
Old Oct 11th 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelvynd
I'm pretty sure the TV licencing fee has been scrapped in NZ (no one was paying it anyway).
The point I'm trying to get at is for the people who have made the move to NZ, and do they now consider the BBC to be good value? In comparison to NZ tv. I know you can get sky over there, but we can get that here, and the tv licence is only for the BBC tv and radio, the other channels do good and bad programmes as well, but of course they have adverts to fund them.

In the UK we generally get annual pay rises in line with inflation, over the past few years all household utilities have been rising at a much higher rate leaving less money in our pockets, I feel that with low interest rates in the UK, company's are taking advantage, knowing we're paying less on our mortgages they can get away with taking a bit more. However, should interest rates rise, with all the extras these company's have been adding to their bills, people's monthly incomes will be gone with nothing left for life's little luxuries. Bankruptcies and bad debts are already on the increase, and in the long term looks to continue. The real winners are the directors, management and shareholders, and the loosers are the paying public.

That's my opinion

Let me off this rock before it sinks
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:17 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Need a hand?
Old Oct 12th 2005, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

In the old days I would have said the bbc was great value for money. Think of all the classics, how many are bbc made? I used to work for bbc and at the time, bbc was 80 squid a year, compared to ITV, which cost you 400 squid on all the stuff you bought, eg, 1p on every can of coke, was for TV advertising etc. You think ITV is free?

Nowadays, my old mates from the beeb tell me it really is going to the dogs now, same as every company. Everything bought in, it is basically becoming a facilities house. I blame generation X and Y.... yeah for babyboomers. We know how to spoil a planet properly with non of this mamby pamby, holier than thou cr@p. Who decided that along the way that marketing should call the shots? And why does everyone think that HR are there to help people and not just management tools, there to be obstructive? And whose round is it anyway,.. hic.

Still hell of a glad that bbc are still going. Kiwis can't make telly to save themselves. The only saving grace is they buy in a lot of british stuff, something the Aussies are more reluctant to do. They still can't make telly, but are more proud of their cr@p.

The point I'm trying to get at is for the people who have made the move to NZ, and do they now consider the BBC to be good value? In comparison to NZ tv. I know you can get sky over there, but we can get that here, and the tv licence is only for the BBC tv and radio, the other channels do good and bad programmes as well, but of course they have adverts to fund them.

In the UK we generally get annual pay rises in line with inflation, over the past few years all household utilities have been rising at a much higher rate leaving less money in our pockets, I feel that with low interest rates in the UK, company's are taking advantage, knowing we're paying less on our mortgages they can get away with taking a bit more. However, should interest rates rise, with all the extras these company's have been adding to their bills, people's monthly incomes will be gone with nothing left for life's little luxuries. Bankruptcies and bad debts are already on the increase, and in the long term looks to continue. The real winners are the directors, management and shareholders, and the loosers are the paying public.

That's my opinion

Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:46 am
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

No I wouldn't pay for the TV other there, totally abysmal with advert after advert.. even Sky was crap over there too! only got that cos the tv's wouldn't work. Probably should have binned them and had done with it gone climbing mountains instead
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree with much of what the above poster has said.
Far too many adverts, every 10 minutes, its so annoying and the adverts are a complete laugh to be honest.
I would not want to pay a TV licence here, I think it should be free all over the world!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:18 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

No way would I pay for NZ tv it is rubbish.
We tried Sky for a while but that was only for the news channels cos the NZ news is so rubbish and shallow.
Not that I watch tv much here anyways ... did watch 'Fair Go' the consumer programme last night and was falling about laughing at that couple who had put up with their car being in the garage for repair for TWO years :scared:
Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sky
No way would I pay for NZ tv it is rubbish.
We tried Sky for a while but that was only for the news channels cos the NZ news is so rubbish and shallow.
Not that I watch tv much here anyways ... did watch 'Fair Go' the consumer programme last night and was falling about laughing at that couple who had put up with their car being in the garage for repair for TWO years :scared:
Didn't they have a courtesy car?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:46 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Lol ... erm nope