Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Would you like to go back to FPTP-system?

Would you like to go back to FPTP-system?

Old May 8th 2010, 2:27 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you like to go back to FPTP-system?

Now that the UK election is over and it produced a hung Parliament but with the usual completely disproportionate distribution of seats compared to the share of votes between the various parties, there is new talk about the need for an electoral reform.

I think you in NZ are experts on this issue as you also used to have the FPTP-system but ditched it in favour of your current two-tier system. You have had five elections under the new system.

What is the view in NZ on this issue? Are you happy with the new system? Or that is a silly question, no-one is ever happy with the existing system but would you like to go back to the FPTP-system?
Old May 9th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you like to go back to FPTP-system?

The NZ system is crap, it doesnt matter who you vote for the Maoris get in power.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
I think you in NZ are experts on this issue as you also used to have the FPTP-system but ditched it in favour of your current two-tier system. You have had five elections under the new system.

What is the view in NZ on this issue? Are you happy with the new system? Or that is a silly question, no-one is ever happy with the existing system but would you like to go back to the FPTP-system?

Quite frankly I think you are asking the wrong people, I don't think anyone here could claim to be an expert in NZ politics. The majority on this forum are recent or impending immigrants to this country and there may be just one or two people around here who could compare to the previous system some fourteen years back.

The present NZ system is a farce and there's always talk of electoral reform, basically it is nigh on impossible for any one party to form a Government without relying on other parties joining a coalition. There will be a further referendum in 2011 to see whether NZ should keep MMP. The biggest issue with MMP is that hardly anyone (myself included) understands how it actually works.
Old May 9th 2010, 6:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Congratulations.
You have reached 200 posts.
Old May 9th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Don't like FPTP.... but then MMP is too complicated and confusing, PR for me...