Would this work?

Old Feb 21st 2017, 7:06 am
Just Joined

Myotai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would this work?

Hi everyone!

So, I'm a qualified Psychotherapist with 10 years experience as a CBT therapist. Member of all the relevant bodies etc...

Looking to jump ship from UK!

Can't get to Oz as I am 52...Didn't want to go anyway ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ So me, my Estate Agent wife and the kids 3, 16 and 23 are looking at NZ now.

If we sell up we'd have around 20/30k to come out with. Not quite the 3 million someone mentioned...But who has that type of dosh!

Question is, is there a demand for my experience/qualifications out there? I imagine my wife would struggle to get work too.

Just looking to get a general it 'Hell yeah' or 'Nahhhh' really?

Ta!
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:39 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would this work?

Psychotherapist is on the list of skilled occupations and you need to be 55 or under.

To work as a Sales Person for your wife she would have to complete training and pass an assessment to be able to gain a licence to enable her to work.

As for you 23 yr old you would need to apply for him before he gets to 24 as the child dependant visa is for 24 or under.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:41 am
Just Joined

That sounds promising!

What about the ยฃ's....would a budget of around ยฃ25k be sufficient to make a start with my family?
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Myotai
That sounds promising!

What about the ยฃ's....would a budget of around ยฃ25k be sufficient to make a start with my family?
Your first problem will be getting your qualifications accepted.

CBT services will be very different to the UK.....it is nowhere near as developed nationwide.

Most public services will require you to be employed in a core profession and private practice will require you to be able to get indemnity insurance.

Do you have a core profession?....are you qualified to Master's level?

I have not worked in NZ but have been a CBT Therapist for nearly 40 years.
I worked in Australia as a Nurse as that was my core profession.
I did not work privately as the system required you to be either a Psychologist, social worker or an Australian accredited mental health nurse to be able to access the Medicare rebate.

You will find there are a lot of vested interests in healthcare.

Good luck

Look here http://www.pbanz.org.nz/index.php?Pa...toRegistration

Last edited by Grayling; Feb 21st 2017 at 10:00 am.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:05 am
Just Joined

CBT Therapist for 40 years?? Wow, you must have been there the day Beck invented it!

So are you saying that a Post Grad Cert in CBT and a Post Grad Dip in Humanist Counselling won't cut it in NZ?

Does this man NZ qualifications supersede those acquired in the UK?

Last edited by Myotai; Feb 21st 2017 at 10:13 am.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

CBT Therapist for 40 years?? Wow, you must have been there the day Beck invented it!

So are you saying that a Post Grad Cert in CBT and a Post Grad Dip in Humanist Counselling won't cut it in NZ?

Does this man N qualifications supersede those acquired in the UK?
I don't know....your qualification will need to be assessed by the relevant accreditation agency....and usually this done by the relevant professional body....CBT is not a 'profession' so you will need to find who that is.

No qualifications are directly transferable....they all need to be assessed.

....and Beck did not invent it...there were plenty of other people working in the field.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Pioneered it then....
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... If we sell up we'd have around 20/30k to come out with. .....
A tidy chunk of that will be taken up by shipping costs and/or purchase of furniture and appliances.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Pioneered it then....
Cognitive therapy,maybe,but Behaviour therapy has been around a lot longer.
In fact The BABCP was originally the BABP when I joined.

You should, perhaps, contact a few practitioners in NZ to see if they can help you
Old Feb 21st 2017, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Cognitive therapy,maybe,but Behaviour therapy has been around a lot longer.
In fact The BABCP was originally the BABP when I joined.

You should, perhaps, contact a few practitioners in NZ to see if they can help you
I thought you were a practitioner? My mistake!
Old Feb 21st 2017, 11:04 am
Bitter and twisted

I thought you were a practitioner? My mistake!
I am / was but not in NZ, as I said earlier,...I worked in Australia for several years but as a MH nurse.....there was no option to work as a CBT therapist without jumping through too many hoops.

I am now retired in England.....I was simply pointing out some of the difficulties you may face

It is only in the last decade or so that non core professionals have been able to be accredited in the UK.

There is nothing like the IAPT initiative in NZ or Australia.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you but you do need to be aware that there are differences in health care systems in different countries and the transition is not always that easy
Try here Welcome ยป AnzaCBT

Last edited by Grayling; Feb 21st 2017 at 11:13 am.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks again...A little work to then.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Does this mean NZ qualifications supersede those acquired in the UK?
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Any overseas qualification/ degree needs to meet the standards set by NZ unless considered exempt.

Question is, is there a demand for my experience/qualifications out there?
ANZCO 272314 - Psychotherapist

Does not appear on any of the NZIS shortage lists here. However all the NZ District Health Boards are NZIS accredited so that means that if they had a vacancy they could offer a suitably qualified , experienced overseas person a position if they so wished.

You would need to be assessed by and registered with Psychotherapists Board of Aotearoa New Zealand & have a practicing license.

An NZQA IQA may well be needed to start the process.

Originally Posted by Careers NZ
Job opportunities -
Chances of getting a job as a psychotherapist are poor due to limited recognition and funding in the public sector.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Great info thanks...
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

So, I'm a qualified Psychotherapist with 10 years experience as a CBT therapist. Member of all the relevant bodies etc...

Looking to jump ship from UK!

Can't get to Oz as I am 52...Didn't want to go anyway ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ So me, my Estate Agent wife and the kids 3, 16 and 23 are looking at NZ now.

If we sell up we'd have around 20/30k to come out with. Not quite the 3 million someone mentioned...But who has that type of dosh!

Question is, is there a demand for my experience/qualifications out there? I imagine my wife would struggle to get work too.

Just looking to get a general it 'Hell yeah' or 'Nahhhh' really?

Ta!
My honest opinion? I do not think that is enough capital to make a new start. Back in 2005 it cost me and my mrs, three kids and a 40 ft container well over 12k GBP to get here. There were shit loads of other costs too, car/s and well, just loads of shit to spend money on.

Sorry to be negative, but money problems appear to be one of the BIGGEST issues with things going tits up, and I am afraid that, especially with FOREX at C$1.70, 20/30k will go so, so quickly. Maybe if the excahnge rate was 2.70 it may be doable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.