Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Would I move to NZ tomorrow if I knew what I know now?

Would I move to NZ tomorrow if I knew what I know now?

Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would I move to NZ tomorrow if I knew what I know now?

Probably not. There is just too much out of kilter for my liking being here in NZ (I know no where is perfect). Great for my kids now all aged 10 or thereabouts, but for the future? I dunno. I reckon if I could go back in time I would have chosen Tasmania or maybe somewhere very remote in Ireland or the UK.

We might have a very good quality of life on our doorstep but I am reflecting on the counrty as a whole and how I feel I fit in..or don't as the case may be........just does not seem right to be here at the present.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would I move to NZ tomorrow if I knew what I know now?

Oh god Genesis. Seriously you need to change the record. I for the life of me can't understand why you stay? Weren't you on the cusp of moving back to the UK?!?!

I know you probably use this site to vent, and I don't want to take that right away from you BUT don't you need to be happy as an adult too. The things you state are not going to change (overnight anyway) so you have two choices. 1. Move! 2. Sort your head out and change your approach or your way of thinking. The constant negativity must be exhausting (or are quite a cheerful chap in real life?)

Do you work, or are you still with the kids full-time?

I don't see how NZ can be so good for your kids if you don't like it. I don't buy into the crap about one or other country being better to grow up in. At the end of the day it is more about your parenting, your values, what YOU expose your children to. There are plenty of great places in the UK to raise children - what are you scared of? After all these years it seems you still don't see yourself fitting in culturally (and that doesn't mean yours or their culture is right?!? Just different). The UK is full but there are places I'm sure where it's not busy ALL the time. Have you ever considered Wales?

Without being too harsh (because I understand your perspective) you need to grow a pair and get back to the UK pronto.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry couldn't add why you don't make changes, you sound miserable which is no way to live!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:40 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Probably not. There is just too much out of kilter for my liking being here in NZ (I know no where is perfect). Great for my kids now all aged 10 or thereabouts, but for the future? I dunno. I reckon if I could go back in time I would have chosen Tasmania or maybe somewhere very remote in Ireland or the UK.

We might have a very good quality of life on our doorstep but I am reflecting on the counrty as a whole and how I feel I fit in..or don't as the case may be........just does not seem right to be here at the present.
I have to admit mate, I am getting a bit tired of your whisy washy attitude to your own life and why you feel the need to get all EMO about everything.

One minute it's shite in NZ, next minute its the best place for kids, then your standard of living is fantastic but Hey!.... we should have moved to Tasmania!

Give it a rest because I can't take you seriously any more.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:46 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Have you ever considered Wales?
Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

I hate it where we live in the UK but thankfully I have plans to leave and go and come home to NZ.
BUT while I hated it here, I joined local council and tried to make a change. If people don't like something. Leave or make a difference. If an expat ran for govt in NZ and spoke sense. I'd vote for them.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 5:11 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Oh please God, NO!
There's far too many immigratnts turning up on committee's with the "In Aussie they do.....", or "In Britain, we used to...." comments, and trying to enforce changes.
We came here because here's here. If Genesis is that desperate about the place, then a remote Father Ted style barren windswept shithole in the South Atlantic could probably use him.
(Malvinas is culturally insensitive Big G.)

My brother and his family regularly holiday in a family farmhouse on the island of Valentia off the SW coast of Ireland. Genesis, please, please never go there!
Best of luck with yout future mate, maybe a bit more getting out instead of sitting at your computer staring at financial reports might help clear the blues. We're off skiing again this weekend.....smiling about it already.

Last edited by hazeandsteve; Aug 16th 2012 at 6:13 pm. Reason: Spelling.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Oh please God, NO!
There's far too many immigratnts turning up on committee's with the "In Aussie they do.....", or "In Britain, we used to...." comments, and trying to enforce changes.
We came here because here's here. If Genesis is that desperate about the place, then a remote Father Ted style barren windswept shithole in the South Atlantic could probably use him.
(Malvinas is culturally insensitive Big G.)

My brother and his family regularly holiday in a family farmhouse on the island of Valencia off the SW coast of Ireland. Genesis, please, please never go there!
Best of luck with yout future mate, maybe a bit more getting out instead of sitting at your computer staring at financial reports might help clear the blues. We're off skiing again this weekend.....smiling about it already.
Nice.

Where in Taupo you live. I used to live there in the 90s. Was on the original crew and the bungy setting it up etc and used to raft the Tongariro. My Parents have a batch at Hatepe so can't wait to spend a lot of time there.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I have to admit mate, I am getting a bit tired of your whisy washy attitude to your own life and why you feel the need to get all EMO about everything.

One minute it's shite in NZ, next minute its the best place for kids, then your standard of living is fantastic but Hey!.... we should have moved to Tasmania!

Give it a rest because I can't take you seriously any more.

NZ can be lots of things good and bad and I have a perfect right to feel unsettled. If you don't take me seriously that is fine. I am talking about feelings here. You can think what you like of me.

Last edited by Genesis; Aug 16th 2012 at 7:04 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I will, it,s getting a bit boring now mate, will he ? won,t he ? u just don,t sound happy mate I don,t think this place is for you

Neil
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I will, it,s getting a bit boring now mate, will he ? won,t he ? u just don,t sound happy mate I don,t think this place is for you

Neil
Ignore it then. Posts are supposed to start debate and thought. I am very touched that you all seem so concerned about my happiness but you really need not. The ignore button works very well so I am told.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

... I wouldn't. No, never, ever.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

in the UK houses are as cheap as they've been since 2007 in most of the country and the exchange rate is perfect to return to UK.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:59 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genesis

Well after me winging about NZ I'm glad I don't live here in the UK, great shops and vibrancy but I feel I don't belong anymore, Northampton Is still a dump, I can't wait to get back to wangas to husband and Kids and I feel if your not happy in yourself you won't be happy anywhere, make the most of the beautiful country we Live in!

Last edited by love30stm; Aug 16th 2012 at 9:26 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:18 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Dannigirl's points. Remember Genesis, being a parent at times can be hard and tedious. You're tied down in a way you wouldn't be otherwise and stuck for what seems like forever. Without them you not doubt would have gone back to the UK, hated it and then ping ponged back for a few years before deciding where to settle. You can't do that with children in tow. As a parent you make sacrifices for your kids which are entirely reasonable, but you feel trapped all the same.

It occurs to me that you keep looking backwards rather than forwards. You and your wife need to look to the future and plan. This may include a move to another country, or maybe a move to somewhere else in NZ. In the grand scheme of things your kids will be off and away in no time at all and you will be free to do what you wish. Start planning for it now. Maybe that would be an idea for a new thread: "what are people planning to do when they've got rid of the kids".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.