Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it worth taking our car?

Is it worth taking our car?

Old Jun 14th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all
Default Is it worth taking our car?

We are considering taking a car over to NZ with us and were wondering about the process involved.

The car has a small 1 litre engine and I've seen that most cars over there have larger engines. My thinking is that a smaller car will equal less running costs.

However, I am unsure about how we will be taxed and what we would need to do.

Also, in your opinion is it financially worth while doing this taking into account the cost of cars in NZ?

I would be grateful for any info that you may have.
Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:02 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth taking our car?

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks
We are considering taking a car over to NZ with us and were wondering about the process involved.

The car has a small 1 litre engine and I've seen that most cars over there have larger engines. My thinking is that a smaller car will equal less running costs.

However, I am unsure about how we will be taxed and what we would need to do.

Also, in your opinion is it financially worth while doing this taking into account the cost of cars in NZ?

I would be grateful for any info that you may have.
Thanks
We were advised by the good people on here not to bother taking a car ... don't expect me to remember why ...other than cleaning costs! look up under the equivalent of MAF here ...

And then don't do what I did once here and buy a European import ... costs a bleeding fortune. $2,000 for a new air conditioning thingumybob ... pants! I have to excuse myself at every business meeting with "I did brush my hair but can't afford air con so have to drive with windows open" ... The Shame ...
Old Jun 14th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt bother taking it.
there are plenty of small 1ltr cars for sale on trade me and they are
not overly expensive.
There are some pretty strict regulations to pass and you'll have to pay for
it to be cleaned
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

What about a 4 litre Mustang?? Mate selling his and thought it would be cheap to run in NZ.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

What about a 4 litre Mustang?? Mate selling his and thought it would be cheap to run in NZ. When are you going Jason?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
I wouldnt bother taking it.
there are plenty of small 1ltr cars for sale on trade me and they are
not overly expensive.
There are some pretty strict regulations to pass and you'll have to pay for
it to be cleaned
Likewise..don't do it. Cars are cheap as chips here. The aggro and cost does not make it worth while. looking after a UK spec'd car in NZ would be potentialy a nightmare. I know robclubley did it but it was not without issues and it was a 'special ' car he was attached so I understand. Look, its one less thing to worry about. Look at www.trademe.co.nz (our ebay) under the car section and you will see the vast array on offer. Jap imports are the best value. They are cars that start life in Japan and come here to be sold second hand after a number of years on the Japanese highways and byways.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by malcoltom
What about a 4 litre Mustang?? Mate selling his and thought it would be cheap to run in NZ. When are you going Jason?
Mal
We're going over in December. Just accepted an offer on the house so fingers crossed everything should go to plan. Squeeky bum time now!!!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends how much the car is worth..if you bought it brand new last year then it may be worth bringing rather than buy an older car here...given how much they depreciate.

I have no idea what the import costs/taxes would be so you'd have to take those into account PLUS what would you do while you are waiting for your container to arrive? Hire a car - could be expensive.

I was in a right-hand drive EU country before coming here so didn't even look into bringing the car even though it was only 3 years old with a low mileage.

The make is also worth taking into account re spare parts etc etc...check there is a dealer near where you plan to live at least.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks
Mal
We're going over in December. Just accepted an offer on the house so fingers crossed everything should go to plan. Squeeky bum time now!!!
We put our house on the market 2 weeks ago and had our first viewing booked for today(sunday) but cancelled it on Saturday by taking the house back off the market.
Found a colleague that wants to rent it long term starting in October when his current tie in ends.(getting divorced). He wants to rent it for 2 years with an option to buy at the end. We know it will be looked after cos this guy is so fastidious that he uses a spirit level on every picture or bit of decorating he does. Also will save us paying an agent etc.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:12 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I say leave your car there.

Here's my thread from not long after mine arrived:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438805

Last edited by RobClubley; Jun 16th 2008 at 2:15 am.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:38 am
Just Joined

scunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nice

Hi Jason

We brought our car over with us. You have to get a certificate of compliance, then fill out paper work for customs.

We didn't get charged any duty on the car even though it was a year old, however the car has to under go a WOF test and registation before the car can go on the road. This cost us about 300 GBP.

Our car is a diesel and we didn't realise before we came that you have an extra diesel tax here in New Zealand.

Some times we regret bringing our car, but we were going to lose 5000 GBP on it, as it was a new car, so it was worth it for us.

However we bought a second car here for only 4000 GBP, Cars are relative cheap, they just have different names to what they do in the UK, for example we had a toyota Yaris in the UK, great car, here they are called Vitz.

If i was you i would buy a car here, small cars are readily available and relatively cheap.
Look on trade me, it will give you an idea of price.

Hope this helps.

donna
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everybody for the advice.
I think that I have decided that we will leave it here and buy one when we land.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:18 am
Just Joined

mad cycling fan is an unknown quantity at this point

hello jason.
Just a quick one to say im also from SYP and going over in February. Where do you work from so we can have a chat. Dont take your car would be my advice. They are cheap as chips in NZ