Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it worth stocking up on anything?

Is it worth stocking up on anything?

Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is it worth stocking up on anything?

Don't like the sound of the "fisty drunks" Sugo . I was hoping it would be quieter there than it is here!!! Where have you had trouble?

JaneAS
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:55 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sugo
If you get a container bring shoes with you. Lots of em,

They are expensive here, the same pair of men’s merrels I got from millets in the UK cost twice the amount here in most shoe shops, shoes are not cheap, even on the British pound, clothes can be purchased cheaply though, Farmers seems value for money, reminds me of debenhams, and the menswear is similar to M+S.

Interestingly though decent all weather coats I have found to be cheaper here, north face and Columbia jackets can be purchased about 30-50 cheaper here than back in the UK south coast, however once my UK cash has gone they will feel more expensive, but no worries, seems most of the things that last like shoes and quality coats do cost but that’s no big deal really unless your an aspiring emelda marcos or carrie bradshaw. In the summer I would imagine I will be going native and will be in flip flops or sandals anyway, on a sunny day its hot here and summer hasn’t started yet,

Saying that I am getting my work boots shipped from the UK, cant find em here yet, my hitec magnums have got me out of a few tight spots with the fisty drunks so are a must have item.

Also computer monitors are relatively expensive too, I was going to bring mine with me from the UK but the weight allowance didn’t make it feasible, since my hand luggage already weighed around 10kg, but after getting through Heathrow then onto Singapore, spent 2 days thinking about it in Singapore cos they are well cheap there then did an impulse buy at changi airport and risked it, amazingly I got onto the flight from Singapore with hold luggage weighing 24kg, hand luggage 11kg (a few gadgets extra in the bags from Singapore) , a new camera plus bag, coat and a 19 inch flat screen monitor lol.

Had one comment from a senior air trolley dolly, I call her that cos she had a face that could stop a clock and was well patronizing to a German lad, bet he speaks better English than she does German. At Sydney the all kiwi Qantas crew were totally different, so easygoing, the lead air crew came over and put fragile stickers all over the screen box and walked it down to a separate luggage hold on the smaller airbus aircraft, she also smiled and she apologized to me, Christ I was the one taking the Mick made me feel guilty but thats how people are here really nice.

Sorry went off topic a bit but remember expensive shoes
Sugo

Don't apologise for going off topic I think it's great and I enjoy reading about your escapades

It sounds like your enjoying it

Tell us some more...... Pleeeeeeeeeease

p.s I didn't think they wore shoes in NZ

Cheers

K9
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Trixabelle will become famous soon enoughTrixabelle will become famous soon enough

Yes Sugo is right.. although off topic! as I am now!sorry but it got me thinking!.. the kiwi people in service occupations are just lovely! Everywhere you go they seem to want to do anything for you.. nothing is too much trouble!. Very pleasant, unlike their British counterparts who just grunt at you if they notice you at all! mmm definitely one thing I DONT miss about UK, shop assistants thinking they are doing YOu are Huge favour by serving you. all huff and puff!.... used to make me mad..

Anyhow, just wish the native 'neighbourly' Kiwis were as nice.. havent met very many that are! can you tell you now that when I was out riding my bike, i took a breather and stopped by a shop, a woman in her 40's was smiling at me and asked me where I had been on my bike. I answered her and upon hearing my English accent, looked at me, paused, and asked if was on vacation. When I replied 'No, I live here " .. she looked at me, her smile vanished and walked off in a huff!!!

That wasnt the first time either.. my mothers doctor said to my Mum- upon hearing that I was coming over- 'Oh! I hope not to stay .. there are far too many of you here now.. you can come and visit and spend your pound, but we dont want anymore of you coming here"....!!! That was a doctor !

Anyway, I digress and apologise just wanted to say how nice the Kiwis in service are ! Thanks!

They are expensive here, the same pair of men’s merrels I got from millets in the UK cost twice the amount here in most shoe shops, shoes are not cheap, even on the British pound, clothes can be purchased cheaply though, Farmers seems value for money, reminds me of debenhams, and the menswear is similar to M+S.

Interestingly though decent all weather coats I have found to be cheaper here, north face and Columbia jackets can be purchased about 30-50 cheaper here than back in the UK south coast, however once my UK cash has gone they will feel more expensive, but no worries, seems most of the things that last like shoes and quality coats do cost but that’s no big deal really unless your an aspiring emelda marcos or carrie bradshaw. In the summer I would imagine I will be going native and will be in flip flops or sandals anyway, on a sunny day its hot here and summer hasn’t started yet,

Saying that I am getting my work boots shipped from the UK, cant find em here yet, my hitec magnums have got me out of a few tight spots with the fisty drunks so are a must have item.

Also computer monitors are relatively expensive too, I was going to bring mine with me from the UK but the weight allowance didn’t make it feasible, since my hand luggage already weighed around 10kg, but after getting through Heathrow then onto Singapore, spent 2 days thinking about it in Singapore cos they are well cheap there then did an impulse buy at changi airport and risked it, amazingly I got onto the flight from Singapore with hold luggage weighing 24kg, hand luggage 11kg (a few gadgets extra in the bags from Singapore) , a new camera plus bag, coat and a 19 inch flat screen monitor lol.

Had one comment from a senior air trolley dolly, I call her that cos she had a face that could stop a clock and was well patronizing to a German lad, bet he speaks better English than she does German. At Sydney the all kiwi Qantas crew were totally different, so easygoing, the lead air crew came over and put fragile stickers all over the screen box and walked it down to a separate luggage hold on the smaller airbus aircraft, she also smiled and she apologized to me, Christ I was the one taking the Mick made me feel guilty but thats how people are here really nice.

Sorry went off topic a bit but remember expensive shoes
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:27 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by Trixabelle
Yes Sugo is right.. although off topic! as I am now!sorry but it got me thinking!.. the kiwi people in service occupations are just lovely! Everywhere you go they seem to want to do anything for you.. nothing is too much trouble!. Very pleasant, unlike their British counterparts who just grunt at you if they notice you at all! mmm definitely one thing I DONT miss about UK, shop assistants thinking they are doing YOu are Huge favour by serving you. all huff and puff!.... used to make me mad..

Anyhow, just wish the native 'neighbourly' Kiwis were as nice.. havent met very many that are! can you tell you now that when I was out riding my bike, i took a breather and stopped by a shop, a woman in her 40's was smiling at me and asked me where I had been on my bike. I answered her and upon hearing my English accent, looked at me, paused, and asked if was on vacation. When I replied 'No, I live here " .. she looked at me, her smile vanished and walked off in a huff!!!

That wasnt the first time either.. my mothers doctor said to my Mum- upon hearing that I was coming over- 'Oh! I hope not to stay .. there are far too many of you here now.. you can come and visit and spend your pound, but we dont want anymore of you coming here"....!!! That was a doctor !

Anyway, I digress and apologise just wanted to say how nice the Kiwis in service are ! Thanks!
Trixabelle
Can I ask were you live

K9
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Trixabelle will become famous soon enoughTrixabelle will become famous soon enough

Near Hamilton K9,

Originally Posted by K9s
Trixabelle
Can I ask were you live

K9
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:58 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixabelle
just wanted to say how nice the Kiwis in service are ! Thanks!
LOL that's cos they were taking money off of you
Old Oct 16th 2005, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Hahaha. yeah.. you are more than likely right about that Sky! I have never been so broke in my life!! and still 'they' want more money..
Why couldnt I bring my NHS status with me??? two colleagues have just gone off to Britain stating that they ' are going to make the most of your NHS' ... should be a card we can take with us anywhere in the world.. have hardly needed NHS in UK but since leaving/.. stress=doctor = empty pocket!!! hahaha.. digressing again! sorry

Originally Posted by sky
LOL that's cos they were taking money off of you
Old Oct 16th 2005, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sugo]If you get a container bring shoes with you. Lots of em,

Hey have got to admit, as a kiwi family living in the UK, yep shoes are not cheap in NZ so girl's shop up for you, kids and hubby before arriving. Or if going via the States do it there cause that is 'well cheap'.
KAZ
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=kaz Hen]

Hey have got to admit, as a kiwi family living in the UK, yep shoes are not cheap in NZ so girl's shop up for you, kids and hubby before arriving. Or if going via the States do it there cause that is 'well cheap'.
KAZ
Hi all , nah not had any trouble here, but work in AE or Emergency dept here, we kind of attract trouble from our regular cliantel, have been warned by the kiwi nurses not to go out at night alone, but its relative, and common sense, not like there is an actual constant danger.

havnt had any anti immigrant yet although am sick of answering why ive come here and for how long, am tempted to say 'well the bodies were filling up under the patio back home, the neighbours noticed a smell and now the police are after me so decided to travel to the other side of the world where patios are bigger and if i live in Rotorua people wont notice the smell.'

other than that have found most really nice here, but i live near the city do its a bit more cosmopolitan, sure not everyone is friendly and you still get the typical t**sers but people tend to smile more and are generally helpful, although the letting agent ive been seeing trying to find somewhere to rent looks like she has been slapped with a rancid cold wet haddock. Keep on wanting to ask when her dog died.

for all of you who find my warped rants funny i will eventually lol get round to starting a new thread and will add some pics, ive taken photos of the beehive in welly far too many time so wont bore you with them.

Another thing you notice is how good looking the people are here, town is full of hotties walking around, very unnerving,

also the teenagers who actually speak, hold doors open for people behind them and manage whole sentences rather than grunts and smile, then there are kids, it seems kids here are allowed to live like kids and play safely,
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sugo]
Originally Posted by kaz Hen

am sick of answering why ive come here and for how long, am tempted to say 'well the bodies were filling up under the patio back home, the neighbours noticed a smell and now the police are after me so decided to travel to the other side of the world where patios are bigger and if i live in Rotorua people wont notice the smell.'

........but the people in Rotorua would notice you.......beware, "this is a local town for local people"

Gill Rotorua and loving it.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

you are quite right there Gill Rotorua!!!... the towns I have been in here are very much for 'local people' and goodness do they let you know it!

I thought I came from 'country yokel' town in the South West of England, but nooooo nothing in comparison!!
Hey ho.. and here we are,

[QUOTE=Gill and Rob]

........but the people in Rotorua would notice you.......beware, "this is a local town for local people"

Gill Rotorua and loving it.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sugo]
Originally Posted by kaz Hen

Hi Sugo
I'm a new member & I laughed at your post, It was nice to hear more positive stuff, I've been reading back at previous threads, and although life is what you make it wherever you live, there does appear to be alot of doom and gloom from some members. Other members talk of the site being very quite at the moment, lighten up and there'll be more replies. Most state how hard up they are now in NZ, how many of you left UK for NZ to be financially better off. I'm sure most went there for a better life style, more laid back with warmer weather and simply to get out of the rat race. We are hoping to arrive in January, I've done abit of research and I know we'll be alot worse off financially, but I'm still hoping for that quality of life.
Boopy

Hi all , nah not had any trouble here, but work in AE or Emergency dept here, we kind of attract trouble from our regular cliantel, have been warned by the kiwi nurses not to go out at night alone, but its relative, and common sense, not like there is an actual constant danger.

havnt had any anti immigrant yet although am sick of answering why ive come here and for how long, am tempted to say 'well the bodies were filling up under the patio back home, the neighbours noticed a smell and now the police are after me so decided to travel to the other side of the world where patios are bigger and if i live in Rotorua people wont notice the smell.'

other than that have found most really nice here, but i live near the city do its a bit more cosmopolitan, sure not everyone is friendly and you still get the typical t**sers but people tend to smile more and are generally helpful, although the letting agent ive been seeing trying to find somewhere to rent looks like she has been slapped with a rancid cold wet haddock. Keep on wanting to ask when her dog died.

for all of you who find my warped rants funny i will eventually lol get round to starting a new thread and will add some pics, ive taken photos of the beehive in welly far too many time so wont bore you with them.

Another thing you notice is how good looking the people are here, town is full of hotties walking around, very unnerving,

also the teenagers who actually speak, hold doors open for people behind them and manage whole sentences rather than grunts and smile, then there are kids, it seems kids here are allowed to live like kids and play safely,