Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it worth stocking up on anything?

Is it worth stocking up on anything?

Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough
Default Is it worth stocking up on anything?

I am wondering if it will be worth stocking up on anything to take across to NZ, that can't be bought over there? I'm already planning to take PLENTY of M&S undies / tights, and probably GAP t-shirts, and maybe a good stock of my favourite toiletries.

What else do you think? I'd love to take a pile of Galaxy and Cadbury's but I don't think they're allowed

Has anyone else done this? Or is it just my paranoia at being away from M&S?

JaneAS
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth stocking up on anything?

Originally Posted by JaneAS
I am wondering if it will be worth stocking up on anything to take across to NZ, that can't be bought over there? I'm already planning to take PLENTY of M&S undies / tights, and probably GAP t-shirts, and maybe a good stock of my favourite toiletries.

What else do you think? I'd love to take a pile of Galaxy and Cadbury's but I don't think they're allowed

JaneAS
Take your favourite clothing, don't even think about bringing anything edible, it's not allowed, my MIL came to visit and thought she would bring her favourite tea bags, they were taken from them at the airport along with SIL babies milk powder.
KAZ
Old Oct 15th 2005, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya.... we went to cash and carry before coming here and got a massive box of Bisto Gravy Granules....arnt we sad! lol It went in the container and arrived fine.

Mum sends my tetley tea bags from home to me as I just dont like the ones here. I have to have de-caff and the ones here just taste funny to me.

I also did a massive shop for my little boy and bought all the next size up clothes for him....from NEXT....my fav shop.

You can get most stuff here so dont panic!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Trixabelle will become famous soon enoughTrixabelle will become famous soon enough

Well I will advise you to ship stock cubes (knorr) gravy granules, brillo pads and fairy liquid.. yeah I know it sounds pathetic.. but if you are a clean freak like me.. you may find the equivalents here insipid. For example those plug in freshners.. just DONT SMELL... the fabric conditioner is insipid..etc etc. actually I bought a new bottle of my favourite perfume and even that was weaker smelling...Tea bags!! yeah I can agree with the previous poster.. We buy PG tips from New World.. not decaff though.. although Lipton yellow tea is strong too. you dont need to use four tea bags in a pot.. (yes old fashioned me I still like to use a pot!)
so really it depends on what you can do without!...
You can get anything you want here, you just have to adapt to the differences in the products. Shame I couldnt bring my gas central heating and double glazing with me!! hah Love New Zealand really..!!
Good luck with your move!!
Almost summer !hurray!

JaneAS

Last edited by Trixabelle; Oct 15th 2005 at 2:49 am.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixabelle
Well I will advise you to ship stock cubes (knorr) gravy granules, brillo pads and fairy liquid.. yeah I know it sounds pathetic.. but if you are a clean freak like me.. you may find the equivalents here insipid. For example those plug in freshners.. just DONT SMELL... the fabric conditioner is insipid..etc etc. actually I bought a new bottle of my favourite perfume and even that was weaker smelling...Tea bags!! yeah I can agree with the previous poster.. We buy PG tips from New World.. not decaff though.. although Lipton yellow tea is strong too. you dont need to use four tea bags in a pot.. (yes old fashioned me I still like to use a pot!)
You can get anything you want here, you just have to adapt to the differences in the products. Shame I couldnt bring my gas central heating and double glazing with me!! hah Love New Zealand really..!!
Almost summer !hurray!
LOL..... yeah I agree about the washing up liquid!!! I'm sorry to say but all the bottles I've had here are total pants.....its weak as hell and just does not clean!!! You gotta laugh!!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 9:59 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Take your favourite clothing, don't even think about bringing anything edible, it's not allowed, my MIL came to visit and thought she would bring her favourite tea bags, they were taken from them at the airport along with SIL babies milk powder.
KAZ
I have trouble believing that, was her suitcase stuffed full!!!
No way would they take tea bags and baby milk off you if it was for personal use!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:01 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
LOL..... yeah I agree about the washing up liquid!!! I'm sorry to say but all the bottles I've had here are total pants.....its weak as hell and just does not clean!!! You gotta laugh!!
Buy the cheapest shite on the shelves, it would strip paint! ... honestly I'm not kidding. Bottom shelf in pak and slave is where you will find the decent stuff
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:04 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Trixabelle
Almost summer !hurray!
Hi I recommend Dilmah it is lovely, give it a try anyways
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:10 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
Buy the cheapest shite on the shelves, it would strip paint! ... honestly I'm not kidding. Bottom shelf in pak and slave is where you will find the decent stuff

Don't bother with palmolive that is shite, just buy the cheapest
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sky
Don't bother with palmolive that is shite, just buy the cheapest
Palmolive was next on my list to try....I wont bother now youve said that. I go to Pac n Save sometimes so yeah I'll look on the bottom shelf.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:30 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by SarahB
Palmolive was next on my list to try....I wont bother now youve said that. I go to Pac n Save sometimes so yeah I'll look on the bottom shelf.
Go for the cheapest rubbish, honestly it is the best
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Trixabelle will become famous soon enoughTrixabelle will become famous soon enough

LOL glad there are others out there like me!! My kiwi friends think I am being picky until I 'allowed' them to try a miniscule squeeze of my last bottle of fairy!!!! yup! disbelief!!! hahahah....Will 'check out'-no pun intended!!- the bottom shelf washing up liquid in pak n save soon. Thanks for the tip!

anyone seen milton fluid or decent sterilising tablets anywhere???? cant get rid of the smell of eggs on my dishes! ... thanks! Missing mothercare and usual supermarkets for those.. (told you in my original post am a clean freak!!! )...

Originally Posted by sky
Go for the cheapest rubbish, honestly it is the best
Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough

So I should be safe to take tea bags in the container? Like SarahB I only drink Tetley's Decaff - I can't find another that tastes decent.

Hurrah!

JaneAS
Old Oct 15th 2005, 1:09 pm
sky
Banned

So I should be safe to take tea bags in the container? Like SarahB I only drink Tetley's Decaff - I can't find another that tastes decent.

Hurrah!

JaneAS
In the container yes.
I would pack in what you will miss and what you can but I wouldn't declare just pack your tea bags with your kitchen stuff.
My mum has posted me stuff since I have been here but honestly it's not worth the postage. There are lots of expats shops springing up all over the country so you should be able to get what you crave from them.
After 20 months here I don't crave much now though
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

JaneAS
If you get a container bring shoes with you. Lots of em,

They are expensive here, the same pair of men’s merrels I got from millets in the UK cost twice the amount here in most shoe shops, shoes are not cheap, even on the British pound, clothes can be purchased cheaply though, Farmers seems value for money, reminds me of debenhams, and the menswear is similar to M+S.

Interestingly though decent all weather coats I have found to be cheaper here, north face and Columbia jackets can be purchased about 30-50 cheaper here than back in the UK south coast, however once my UK cash has gone they will feel more expensive, but no worries, seems most of the things that last like shoes and quality coats do cost but that’s no big deal really unless your an aspiring emelda marcos or carrie bradshaw. In the summer I would imagine I will be going native and will be in flip flops or sandals anyway, on a sunny day its hot here and summer hasn’t started yet,

Saying that I am getting my work boots shipped from the UK, cant find em here yet, my hitec magnums have got me out of a few tight spots with the fisty drunks so are a must have item.

Also computer monitors are relatively expensive too, I was going to bring mine with me from the UK but the weight allowance didn’t make it feasible, since my hand luggage already weighed around 10kg, but after getting through Heathrow then onto Singapore, spent 2 days thinking about it in Singapore cos they are well cheap there then did an impulse buy at changi airport and risked it, amazingly I got onto the flight from Singapore with hold luggage weighing 24kg, hand luggage 11kg (a few gadgets extra in the bags from Singapore) , a new camera plus bag, coat and a 19 inch flat screen monitor lol.

Had one comment from a senior air trolley dolly, I call her that cos she had a face that could stop a clock and was well patronizing to a German lad, bet he speaks better English than she does German. At Sydney the all kiwi Qantas crew were totally different, so easygoing, the lead air crew came over and put fragile stickers all over the screen box and walked it down to a separate luggage hold on the smaller airbus aircraft, she also smiled and she apologized to me, Christ I was the one taking the Mick made me feel guilty but thats how people are here really nice.

Sorry went off topic a bit but remember expensive shoes

Last edited by Sugo; Oct 15th 2005 at 10:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.