Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Old May 17th 2005, 9:41 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 91
tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

As someone who's really interested in emigrating to NZ, I was wondering what you expats think. Is NZ a great place to live i.e. for families,single people etc.? Would you recommend it and would you still emigrate there if you were able to turn the clock back?


tottefan.

Last edited by tottefan; May 17th 2005 at 9:44 pm.
tottefan is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 9:46 pm
  #2  
Give us a kiss
 
Biddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Peka Peka - Kapiti Coast - Nice!
Posts: 3,140
Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by tottefan
As someone who's really interested in emigrating to NZ, I was wondering what you expats think. Is NZ a great place to live i.e. for families,single people etc.? Would you recommend it and would you still emigrate there if you were able to turn the clock back?


tottefan.
There's a loaded question if ever I've heard one! Prepare yourself for plenty of useful information!
Biddy is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:12 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
sunshine_and_rain's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: BOP, NZ.
Posts: 373
sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by tottefan
As someone who's really interested in emigrating to NZ, I was wondering what you expats think. Is NZ a great place to live i.e. for families,single people etc.? Would you recommend it and would you still emigrate there if you were able to turn the clock back?


tottefan.
Crikey - that is a loaded question. You'll get heaps of differing replies too as it is different for all of us - some positive some negative - they are all as valid as one another too.

Myself, and my family - we love it here. Lifestyle is awesome, (we live in Rotorua), so have lakes, and beaches and skiing and shopping etc all close by. I like the changing seasons so thats a plus for me, but maybe not for some - and it does rain a whole lot in NZ - hence why it so green and lush. We, as a family are financially better off, but afte reading some of peoples experiences on here I realise that thats is simply not true for some. Hubby is a doctor here and so for us its been a better move financially. I can see how for some though, after being here and on reflection would find it expensive to live here. Life is far less materialistic here though than the UK. It doesn't matter what car you or your neighbour or your best friend drive, just that you join in life and have fun! I love that outlook on life. We have mdae lots of cool friends and been to some great places. Kiwis are great, and I hav yet to meet anyone who has made me less than welcome in their country.

Fresh food and meat is great here (except sausages - LOL), and my children live a fairly carefree and active lifestyle that I could not imagine them getting at home. I feel they are much safer here. Outdoor living is HUGE, so if you like beache, BBQ's, Boating, waterskiing, swimming, skiing, tramping, running, marathon running, sports in general - you'll LOVE NZ!

As for being single - well here in Rotorua not sure it would be too great. I loved being young free and single in the UK. I don't think you can beat the nightlife in the UK and Europe anywhere in the world (save for USA) when you are young enough to be out clubbing, however I am way tooooo old for all of that now. The nightlife here is great - but very different. Even in Auckland its different to home. I find it to be more of a cafe/resteraunt culture. People like to go out with friends and eat good food and drink good wine and maybe go to a waine bar with a dance floor and DJ etc. As far as I am concerned its great - but might not suit others who are still looking ot be out 3 nights a week clubbing!!!!! (oh - those were the days).

AKL and Welly has more of a nightclub scene, but as I said just on a different level/scale to UK and Europe. I don't miss that at all, as 1 I am too old, and 2. you quickly grow out of it!! I love the socialisising here, BBQ's, pot-luck dinners, lunches at the lakeside, resteraunts, wine bars and meeting loads of people from all around the world. We went to a comedy club show last night with someone from UK, OZ, NZ and had a blast, I laughed so much it hurt.

I would definately come back again if I had the chance again. Our lives are more laid back, less rushing, we're happier, and as I said my kids are safer and living a very active and full lifestyle.

I do miss some things about home, and I guess I always will but, the positives for us outweigh the negatives so here we are, for now, as I never say never. Who knows what tomorrow holds hey!

Hope some of this helps - remember though this is ONLY my experience of NZ - others will be different and we all right in our opinions. I can only say - you have to give it a go to truly see its for you, its the only way to know.
sunshine_and_rain is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:31 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 91
tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Thanks for that sunshine_and_rain.


tottefan
tottefan is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:36 pm
  #5  
Don't let me get me....
 
Pinkie Pie's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Teetering on the edge...
Posts: 1,964
Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Crikey - that is a loaded question. You'll get heaps of differing replies too as it is different for all of us - some positive some negative - they are all as valid as one another too.

Myself, and my family - we love it here. Lifestyle is awesome, (we live in Rotorua), so have lakes, and beaches and skiing and shopping etc all close by. I like the changing seasons so thats a plus for me, but maybe not for some - and it does rain a whole lot in NZ - hence why it so green and lush. We, as a family are financially better off, but afte reading some of peoples experiences on here I realise that thats is simply not true for some. Hubby is a doctor here and so for us its been a better move financially. I can see how for some though, after being here and on reflection would find it expensive to live here. Life is far less materialistic here though than the UK. It doesn't matter what car you or your neighbour or your best friend drive, just that you join in life and have fun! I love that outlook on life. We have mdae lots of cool friends and been to some great places. Kiwis are great, and I hav yet to meet anyone who has made me less than welcome in their country.

Fresh food and meat is great here (except sausages - LOL), and my children live a fairly carefree and active lifestyle that I could not imagine them getting at home. I feel they are much safer here. Outdoor living is HUGE, so if you like beache, BBQ's, Boating, waterskiing, swimming, skiing, tramping, running, marathon running, sports in general - you'll LOVE NZ!

As for being single - well here in Rotorua not sure it would be too great. I loved being young free and single in the UK. I don't think you can beat the nightlife in the UK and Europe anywhere in the world (save for USA) when you are young enough to be out clubbing, however I am way tooooo old for all of that now. The nightlife here is great - but very different. Even in Auckland its different to home. I find it to be more of a cafe/resteraunt culture. People like to go out with friends and eat good food and drink good wine and maybe go to a waine bar with a dance floor and DJ etc. As far as I am concerned its great - but might not suit others who are still looking ot be out 3 nights a week clubbing!!!!! (oh - those were the days).

AKL and Welly has more of a nightclub scene, but as I said just on a different level/scale to UK and Europe. I don't miss that at all, as 1 I am too old, and 2. you quickly grow out of it!! I love the socialisising here, BBQ's, pot-luck dinners, lunches at the lakeside, resteraunts, wine bars and meeting loads of people from all around the world. We went to a comedy club show last night with someone from UK, OZ, NZ and had a blast, I laughed so much it hurt.

I would definately come back again if I had the chance again. Our lives are more laid back, less rushing, we're happier, and as I said my kids are safer and living a very active and full lifestyle.

I do miss some things about home, and I guess I always will but, the positives for us outweigh the negatives so here we are, for now, as I never say never. Who knows what tomorrow holds hey!

Hope some of this helps - remember though this is ONLY my experience of NZ - others will be different and we all right in our opinions. I can only say - you have to give it a go to truly see its for you, its the only way to know.
Hi there, fairly new to this game. You paint a glowing picture of NZ and it is lovely to hear. I can almost picture it in my head.
Pinkie Pie is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:40 pm
  #6  
Account Closed
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 459
Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi there, fairly new to this game. You paint a glowing picture of NZ and it is lovely to hear. I can almost picture it in my head.
No need to picture it in your head - take a trip to the photo thread

Cheers

Fergus McAlistair VII
Sega Mad is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:42 pm
  #7  
Don't let me get me....
 
Pinkie Pie's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Teetering on the edge...
Posts: 1,964
Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
No need to picture it in your head - go to the photo thread

Cheers

Fergus McAlistair VII
thanks Fergus, I've just been and had a look. There are some amazing pictures on there.
Pinkie Pie is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:43 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
sunshine_and_rain's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: BOP, NZ.
Posts: 373
sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi there, fairly new to this game. You paint a glowing picture of NZ and it is lovely to hear. I can almost picture it in my head.
Hi Pinkie Pie

Welcome to the forum - my daughter loved your picture! Look forward to seeing you in other threads, and hope you make heaps of friends here
sunshine_and_rain is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:45 pm
  #9  
Don't let me get me....
 
Pinkie Pie's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Teetering on the edge...
Posts: 1,964
Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Hi Pinkie Pie

Welcome to the forum - my daughter loved your picture! Look forward to seeing you in other threads, and hope you make heaps of friends here
Hello Sunshine or are you rain? My daughter helped me pick it! It seems like a really good place for meeting people and there is a lot of information on here that you just can't find anywhere else isn't there. Thanks for the welcome.
Pinkie Pie is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:47 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
sunshine_and_rain's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: BOP, NZ.
Posts: 373
sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hello Sunshine or are you rain? My daughter helped me pick it! It seems like a really good place for meeting people and there is a lot of information on here that you just can't find anywhere else isn't there. Thanks for the welcome.

Well, mostly I am sunshine. Sometimes I feel a little rainy - not often though. I think I might change my name to sunshine actually as I don't really like the 'and rain ' bit anymore, not that I ever really did.
sunshine_and_rain is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:48 pm
  #11  
Give us a kiss
 
Biddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Peka Peka - Kapiti Coast - Nice!
Posts: 3,140
Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Well, mostly I am sunshine. Sometimes I feel a little rainy - not often though. I think I might change my name to sunshine actually as I don't really like the 'and rain ' bit anymore, not that I ever really did.
How about 'Ray of' as a first name eh?

Welcome Pinkie!
Biddy is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:50 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 91
tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

I think forums like this are great. Any more opinions on NZ, be they positive or negative will be welcomed.

I'm a 22 year old student by the way.

tottefan.
tottefan is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:53 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
sunshine_and_rain's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: BOP, NZ.
Posts: 373
sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by Biddy
How about 'Ray of' as a first name eh?

Welcome Pinkie!
Thanks Biddy - I will do - like that one! - just trying to find a clip art to include.
sunshine_and_rain is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:54 pm
  #14  
Give us a kiss
 
Biddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Peka Peka - Kapiti Coast - Nice!
Posts: 3,140
Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by tottefan
I think forums like this are great. Any more opinions on NZ, be they positive or negative will be welcomed.

I'm a 22 year old student by the way.

tottefan.
I'd give you my opinion but I've not been there yet - however I have nothing but positive thoughts about it!
Good luck with the studies! Hey shouldn't you be out drinking and running over cars and getting your arse out?
Biddy is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 10:55 pm
  #15  
Don't let me get me....
 
Pinkie Pie's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Teetering on the edge...
Posts: 1,964
Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth the effort of moving to NZ?

Originally Posted by Biddy
How about 'Ray of' as a first name eh?

Welcome Pinkie!
Thank you Biddy. I've been looking at the site for a while but was a bit scared to join in - just finding my feet. I loved the game that you did, that A-Z one, there were some great pictures on that too and it was really informative as well as being fun. Well done to you. Have you got any more like that.

Pinkie
Pinkie Pie is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.