Is it worth it?

Old May 26th 2005, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

markncol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth it?

Is it worth lugging a load of not so old pine furniture half way around the world to NZ if you can buy it there for cheaper? Is NZ wooden furniture, sofas etc any cheaper than the UK? My wife doesnt seem to think so. But my guess is it is given that labour costs are less. This is a really dull question but the answer to it could save me a fortune.
Old May 26th 2005, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it worth it?

From what I have seen, I think furniture is alot more expensive in NZ. It depends how much stuff you have. If you have enough furniture ( ie a house full) You would be able take it all for around £2500. Pickfords pick it all up from your home and deliver it to your NZ address.
Old May 26th 2005, 8:27 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
From what I have seen, I think furniture is alot more expensive in NZ. It depends how much stuff you have. If you have enough furniture ( ie a house full) You would be able take it all for around £2500. Pickfords pick it all up from your home and deliver it to your NZ address.
All the advice I've had is take everything even if you think you won't need it. Buying it over there won't be any cheaper and it's a lot of hassle.
Old May 26th 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markncol
Is it worth lugging a load of not so old pine furniture half way around the world to NZ if you can buy it there for cheaper? Is NZ wooden furniture, sofas etc any cheaper than the UK? My wife doesnt seem to think so. But my guess is it is given that labour costs are less. This is a really dull question but the answer to it could save me a fortune.

Welllllll, I hate to disagree with the others but I think furniture is cheaper here?? If you yu put the cost int pounds, its a lot cheaper - but - again its dollars we're earning not pounds! I guess like th others have said if you can afford to bring it then do - saves you buying new for a bit - but if not sve the money and buy new! I'm a complete shopoholic so I wante an excuse to shop for new! As an idea have a look at www.farmers.co.nz and then have a look at the catalogues tab - and look at winter home catalogue on line - a rough idea as some shops are cheaper and others more expensive. NZ sells some really beutiful furniture that you can't get at home - and wooden furniture, good quality and the wood nicer than most at home at a reasonable cost. You don't often see Pine here, well not a lot as tend to use harder woods for funiture and also import a lot from Asia. Hope this helps????
Old May 26th 2005, 10:03 pm
pompeymike

Furniture is definitely cheaper here than in the UK but if you've already got your furniture then ship it over, in fact bring absolutely everything - we wasted thousands on new stuff when we first arrived, besides if you sell your furniture in the UK you'll only get peanuts for it.

Mike

Old May 26th 2005, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

I go along with the idea of taking as much as possible with you. If you have to pay a couple of grand for a containter to take your 'precious things' you may as well stuff absolutely all and sundry in as well. Its the little things that cost money. Remember the old adage 'Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves'. I reckon that could apply as a parallel to the bits of old junk that you take over with you.

Regards
Old May 26th 2005, 11:24 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
I go along with the idea of taking as much as possible with you. If you have to pay a couple of grand for a containter to take your 'precious things' you may as well stuff absolutely all and sundry in as well. Its the little things that cost money. Remember the old adage 'Look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves'. I reckon that could apply as a parallel to the bits of old junk that you take over with you.

Regards
I'm going to rename you Mr Thrifty (starting google search as we speak for a picture!!!)

I fully intend to pack my children in the container...damn site cheaper than paying for their airfares...only joking before anyone calls Childline...