Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Old Nov 25th 2017, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Default Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

With a number of posts (myself included) of people thinking of moving back I thought it would be really interesting to see what people who have either moved back to the UK full time or gone back and forth between New Zealand and the UK recently have found to be positive and negative about going back.

Would be great to get some of this from people who have recently made the move back to the UK

Here's a few things for me when I moved back to the uk some 12 years ago (I have been back in nz for 10 years since):

Worst: higher competition for jobs, people everywhere, dirty cities, civil unrest in your face, Bad coffee, bad weather, expensive car insurance, dark by 4 PM in the winter.

Best: better houses, beer, pubs, banter, open countryside for all to roam, europe close by, history, British music, House parties where men and women mixed, cold Christmases, double glazing, football, British tv, family close by.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Cons: Traffic, car insurance

Pros: Gigs and festivals, bustling cities, lots of things to see and do, everything is close by, great pubs, affordable beer, groceries less than half price, cheap utility bills, well built houses, affordable housing, warm housing, central heating, double glazing, 39p cucumbers, real news, great tv, cheap vehicles, better weather (Yorkshire v Dunedin), comedy gigs, proper sense of humour, 39p cucumbers, nightlife options, family days out, having money in my bank account, BBC6Music, London, holidays, cheap flights to Europe, budget hotels, noisy football matches, great clothes shops, being able to walk my dog wherever I want, fresh food, Aldi, motorways, facinating historic building and places, many job opportunities...... and 39p cucumbers.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 8:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Cons: Traffic, car insurance

Pros: Gigs and festivals, bustling cities, lots of things to see and do, everything is close by, great pubs, affordable beer, groceries less than half price, cheap utility bills, well built houses, affordable housing, warm housing, central heating, double glazing, 39p cucumbers, real news, great tv, cheap vehicles, better weather (Yorkshire v Dunedin), comedy gigs, proper sense of humour, 39p cucumbers, nightlife options, family days out, having money in my bank account, BBC6Music, London, holidays, cheap flights to Europe, budget hotels, noisy football matches, great clothes shops, being able to walk my dog wherever I want, fresh food, Aldi, motorways, facinating historic building and places, many job opportunities...... and 39p cucumbers.
Barnsleymat you forgot to mention about the price of cucumbers
Old Nov 25th 2017, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Jon.B is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm planning on making the move to NZ next year and it's interesting that 'being able to walk my dog wherever it want' and 'open countryside for all to roam' both crop up.
I've been on holiday to NZ 5 times (only North island) and never noticed any restrictions on dog walking or access to the countryside. Can someone please explain what I am missing?

Thanks
Old Nov 25th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs are not allowed in areas administered by DOC. This includes campsites, conservation areas, wildlife refuges and walking tracks and trails.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat

Pros: Aldi,

Now I know you're just making it up and taking the piss. . . .
Old Nov 26th 2017, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon.B
I'm planning on making the move to NZ next year and it's interesting that 'being able to walk my dog wherever it want' and 'open countryside for all to roam' both crop up.
I've been on holiday to NZ 5 times (only North island) and never noticed any restrictions on dog walking or access to the countryside. Can someone please explain what I am missing?

Thanks
Whether you notice it or not I guess depends on where you've been, whether you had a dog with you and whether you looked for it or not. Many towns dont allow dogs into the CBD, national parks and some beaches also have restrictions. Bear in mind NZ doesnt have a right to roam or the public right of way footpaths that the uk has. You may find yourself in an area where all you can see is green pastures, paddocks, hills covered in native bush and you will not be allowed access to any of it as its all privately owned. Dogs that may worry livestock or chase / harm native species are a concern. You need to be careful of areas where 1080 drops have occurred as it can linger for months. That said, there are still plenty of places where dogs are welcome and people can wander where ever they want

This might help
(you need to zoom right in for all legend details)

https://www.wams.org.nz/wams_desktop/index.html
Old Nov 26th 2017, 7:22 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What's with the car insurance in NZ? On the Canadian forum, many decry the expensive Canadian car insurance vs the cheap insurance in Blighty.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

its not a legal requirement
Old Nov 26th 2017, 9:04 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
its not a legal requirement
Any insurance or just comprehensive?
Old Nov 26th 2017, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol

Now I know you're just making it up and taking the piss. . . .
One of my nz mates just commented on one of my Facebook posts saying cauliflowers are $7.50 at Countdown. Trust me, i love Aldi. I take sandwiches
Old Nov 26th 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree barnsleymat ... Aldi & Lidl are great!
Old Nov 26th 2017, 7:22 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Any insurance or just comprehensive?
Any, no legal requirement to have any insurance in NZ - so its extra good to have it in case you are involved with an uninsured driver.

Apparently the take-up rate is comparable with countries having compulsory insurance (where cars/drivers still not 100% covered), but I don't have first hand info on that.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

So back to the original thread....

Best and Worst things about moving back to the UK from NZ Thanks so far BarnsleyMat
Old Nov 27th 2017, 4:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Are you asking re UK as yours seems to be about the UK. Not NZ.

Shouldn't there be 4 lots.

Best/Worse UK : Best/worst NZ

I originally thought this was better placed in the UK forum but see you may have ping ponged?

When are you moving back then.

confused.com.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.