Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The worst 9 months of my life in NZ

The worst 9 months of my life in NZ

Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The worst 9 months of my life in NZ

yjx1nt7, you poor bugger! You have indeed had some bad luck on top of bad luck!
I’m not alone I’m sure in wishing you much MUCH better luck for the future, whether you stay put or go back.

Earthquake’s aside, we have found NZ to be a hotchpotch of enigma’s for want of a better way of putting it. Barnsleymat calls it rip-off central, and in many ways I would agree with that. Genesis goes on to say that “We have been ripped off (big time) on a number of occasions, suffered at the hands of lazy, good for nothing builders, plumbers, lawyers, financiers…etc” but he stills finds things are on the whole better here… I could have written that myself, and couldn’t agree more. Then there are a few who still see NZ as a slice of heaven, which I would think are in the minority, but good for them anyway, and I don’t mean that to be sarcastic. I think though that maybe all of us come for a better life, a fresh start, call it what you like. And with that, the effort we put in, the money we spend, the friends we leave behind, well, we naturally expect to get something for that effort. When we don’t get the return that we expect, we get upset or angry, why wouldn’t we?

I admit that I still struggle with being here. Some days I feel fortunate, others I feel we could have done better moving to a different country, or even moving to a different part of the UK…. But we didn’t, so it actually is an unknown! There is one thing for sure, unless you do try it for yourself, and I don’t say that lightly, then you will never know. Everyone who has made the effort, including those who feel it has been the wrong move, well you (we) all deserve a pat on the back for trying.

Some may disagree with my next statement, but not many I’m sure, and that is the majority of those who emigrate will find it much harder than they expect. The physical upheaval of moving a household load of “stuff” will pale into insignificance when you compare it with such realisms as adjusting to new culture, complete different attitudes of others including co-works, bosses, new acquaintances etc. Different standards of “things” ie infrastructure, services, entertainment… the list is endless. Don’t get me wrong, some of the changes are positive ones, but for many, they only seem to register the bad ones, as they are the ones that keep you awake at night!

One last thing I would like to say is that people should sometimes take a minute before harshly criticising a poster for putting up what appears to be a bad or negative post. If that poster has something to say, good or bad about their experience of moving, they have at least earned the right to say it. That said, maybe we could all be a little more forgiving, as those who have dreams and expectations of their planned move giving them a better life, well its human nature, they don’t want to think they may be making a mistake do they.

Peace to everyone.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Ygx, I agree with the above poster, and pleae don't feel you have to tone down your original comments in order to fit into a more positive mode. Folks say what they feel at the time - doesn't mean they won't feel better the next day. But I'd rather have a spontaneous expression of feelings any day than an affected or bland comment. In fact, that's one of the things that really gets me here, how the Kiwis will blank out anything they perceive as negative, without understand the context in which it is said. Whereas, the Brits come from a culture of saying what they truly feel, whether positive or not, and that's a basic different between them and one which leads to many misunderstandings of how the Brits think..

Anyway, I'm glad things are looking up and please keep posting to tell us now you are.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevin
yjx1nt7, you poor bugger! You have indeed had some bad luck on top of bad luck!
I’m not alone I’m sure in wishing you much MUCH better luck for the future, whether you stay put or go back.

Earthquake’s aside, we have found NZ to be a hotchpotch of enigma’s for want of a better way of putting it. Barnsleymat calls it rip-off central, and in many ways I would agree with that. Genesis goes on to say that “We have been ripped off (big time) on a number of occasions, suffered at the hands of lazy, good for nothing builders, plumbers, lawyers, financiers…etc” but he stills finds things are on the whole better here… I could have written that myself, and couldn’t agree more. Then there are a few who still see NZ as a slice of heaven, which I would think are in the minority, but good for them anyway, and I don’t mean that to be sarcastic. I think though that maybe all of us come for a better life, a fresh start, call it what you like. And with that, the effort we put in, the money we spend, the friends we leave behind, well, we naturally expect to get something for that effort. When we don’t get the return that we expect, we get upset or angry, why wouldn’t we?

I admit that I still struggle with being here. Some days I feel fortunate, others I feel we could have done better moving to a different country, or even moving to a different part of the UK…. But we didn’t, so it actually is an unknown! There is one thing for sure, unless you do try it for yourself, and I don’t say that lightly, then you will never know. Everyone who has made the effort, including those who feel it has been the wrong move, well you (we) all deserve a pat on the back for trying.

Some may disagree with my next statement, but not many I’m sure, and that is the majority of those who emigrate will find it much harder than they expect. The physical upheaval of moving a household load of “stuff” will pale into insignificance when you compare it with such realisms as adjusting to new culture, complete different attitudes of others including co-works, bosses, new acquaintances etc. Different standards of “things” ie infrastructure, services, entertainment… the list is endless. Don’t get me wrong, some of the changes are positive ones, but for many, they only seem to register the bad ones, as they are the ones that keep you awake at night!

One last thing I would like to say is that people should sometimes take a minute before harshly criticising a poster for putting up what appears to be a bad or negative post. If that poster has something to say, good or bad about their experience of moving, they have at least earned the right to say it. That said, maybe we could all be a little more forgiving, as those who have dreams and expectations of their planned move giving them a better life, well its human nature, they don’t want to think they may be making a mistake do they.

Peace to everyone.
Thanks Kevin ,, Could nt of put it better myself
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:08 am
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Awsome post Kevin.
Very true.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:25 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Worth remembering that life chucks shite at good people all the time and in all places - and there is no letup just because you have emigrated. But neither is it because you have emigrated.

It is hard, try not to knee-jerk react to either the good or the bad, we did temp emigration to Saudi in the mid-nineties (you obviously can't perm emigrate to Saudi...). Found same there, some great aspects, some pants. Finding same here, some aspects great, some pants. Trick is finding somewhere where the great outweigh the pants - and that is true of wherever you go....

All the best and :fingers crossed: it works out/gets better for you.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

gilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant future

I for one am extremely glad to read this post because I know its going to be hard emigrating to NZ and posts like this help form realistic expectations.

I was in NZ in October and was shocked at how expensive it was compared to 10 years ago and to the UK. I would stay in the UK if it was not for my kiwi boyfriend who has had enough. Its only fair after 3 years for me to try NZ. From reading these posts I am under no illusion that life in NZ is going to be easy. By the sounds of it, its going to be very very hard. I hope to god I meet like minded people because I don't care how beautiful NZ is, I like to have a laugh.

So I welcome these honest comments because I WILL now be doing that 3rd car boot as I'm going to need every penny when I'm over there, I will not be shocked when coming across the racism, I'll expect my car to get a few designer key marks down the side of it and in general I'll keep a lid on my expectations in the hope that it makes the first few months easier.

See you all soon...
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:03 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gilliano77
From reading these posts I am under no illusion that life in NZ is going to be easy. By the sounds of it, its going to be very very hard.
I'm sat here in my lush-as house, ok weather isn't tops today but last week it was serious competition for British summer, garden is full of growing things that would struggle in Britain, just dropped daughter off at wonderful school- she's doing milo cricket today, have super cup of coffee to enjoy while I get cracking on my (cheap as chips compared to the UK) degree. That's just 'right now'- heaps more about being here that is tops. It's not all bad, not by a loooooooong shot
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:11 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I'm sat here in my lush-as house, ok weather isn't tops today but last week it was serious competition for British summer, garden is full of growing things that would struggle in Britain, just dropped daughter off at wonderful school- she's doing milo cricket today, have super cup of coffee to enjoy while I get cracking on my (cheap as chips compared to the UK) degree. That's just 'right now'- heaps more about being here that is tops. It's not all bad, not by a loooooooong shot
Same as every country, good for some,,,shit for others.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:19 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthbum
Same as every country, good for some,,,shit for others.
No, I think my point was (if you read the thread) that it's good in parts and shit in others. I'm the first to say I have mixed feelings about NZ but the poster I was replying to is feeling a bit worried reading a lot of negativity.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

I for one am extremely glad to read this post because I know its going to be hard emigrating to NZ and posts like this help form realistic expectations.

I was in NZ in October and was shocked at how expensive it was compared to 10 years ago and to the UK. I would stay in the UK if it was not for my kiwi boyfriend who has had enough. Its only fair after 3 years for me to try NZ. From reading these posts I am under no illusion that life in NZ is going to be easy. By the sounds of it, its going to be very very hard. I hope to god I meet like minded people because I don't care how beautiful NZ is, I like to have a laugh.

So I welcome these honest comments because I WILL now be doing that 3rd car boot as I'm going to need every penny when I'm over there, I will not be shocked when coming across the racism, I'll expect my car to get a few designer key marks down the side of it and in general I'll keep a lid on my expectations in the hope that it makes the first few months easier.

See you all soon...
Sounds like you are emigrating with your eyes open. Hope it doesn't compromise your relationship with your kiwi boyfriend. Don't expect his homeland to be your homeland i.e. he has history/family here like you have history/family in UK. Just before I got engaged to my kiwi boyfriend in 1992I knew in my heart that we would live in NZ one day. Although I made it clear to him that I was not interested in living in NZ. I didn't put those two thoughts together until we emigrated here in February ! Whoever said there are things you can't possibly think/feel/say until you get here irrespective of how much research you do was right.
Hope your experience of NZ is as Kiwi as and totally NZ Bro.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

wendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nicewendy_woo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
Deep, deep pockets. Which amazes me that the forex subject gets virtually ignored. Your capital you come with will be the make or break in many cases. The kiwi is still well below 2 for 1. It amazes me that anyone is prepared to emigrate at these historically ruinous rates. $2.20 is more what it should really be..maybe even as high as 2.30..but 1.93!!!!!!!!????

How does anyone reconcile making a major exchange at this rate??? I think I would rather take my chances and stay in the UK. There is no way I would have cashed in my UK equity at these rates. I know I only got 2.64 in 2005 and in 2001/2 $3.80 was on the table but I knew that 2.70 was a 10 year median then thus I knew I got a good rate. But the rate now it akin to robbery. I guess if you want a new life that bad you will swallow it eh?
Interesting - Moving to NZ has to be a life style choice not for the money, having said that we are praying the exchange rates will improve between now and when we plan to come (18-24 months)!

But remember how things are in the UK right now and if you think you can come back and it will be cheap - forget it! Air tax is going up 25% in a couple of months, CPI is 4.5% this month (NOT RPI!) the unions are going on strike, Greece pulling the Euro down and effecting the UK businesses, riots, phone hacking, robbers now snatching clothes left out for charity off your doorstep as there is not much else to rob, and then our rugby team - its really important, I think, not to look back at the UK through rose tinted spectacles and think because it used to be better it isn't - good luck and chin up to everyone in NZ, we cannot wait to get there!
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:30 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

and yet none of my and my husband's extended families or friends back in the UK are in complete and utter despair. They are still going about their daily lives. Still having holidays. Still have jobs. Weren't touched by the riots. Not having their houses burgled , cars nicked and the like every time they blink.
I doubt many of us look at the UK and Europe with 'rose tinted glasses' . Family and friends + access to news keeps it relative and real.

Maybe what some of us out here do is not keep NZ real for our rellies and friends back there.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:41 am
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

Hope its the end to your bad luck and the next 9 months are better.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Worth remembering that life chucks shite at good people all the time and in all places - and there is no letup just because you have emigrated. But neither is it because you have emigrated.
Very true, I've had extreme ups and downs in my 3 years here yet its definitely the place I call home.
all the shite the OP has gone through could have happened where ever they were, it didnt happen because they were here.

I'm currently on holiday overseas but am looking forward to coming home to my little place on the beach
Old Sep 14th 2011, 4:36 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

....I'll keep a lid on my expectations....
....better to keep an eye on your fella's social life! After work beers are generally a male affair.
Our mates are now used to the fact that we do pretty much everything together. Got some weird looks when Haze was the only female on our Friday out, but eventually they grew used to it.
To us, coming as a couple has pulled us together, probably made the bad shit more bearable......or maybe it's just Taupo....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.