Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

worried about emigrating

worried about emigrating

Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

pinky2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: worried about emigrating

okay okay i get the drift i have looked and read the immigration site easy to navigate, it wont be our first time just rocking up in a country but it is the same as a holiday when you go on holiday dont you get a feel of the place, whether you like it or not i think the six month visa is great in the sense it would give us enough time to try?
as for the boys that is what we want outdoor life for them, britian just does not offer this type of sane living, basically we are just simple people who dont really require much, just a house and a job any job really it is just to get the boys started there if they want to stay ok, but i know we will leave
my husband is a skilled auto precision machinist and a trucker and bus driver i am a secretary, but why we chose NZ is because it is laid back and has life besides material things, We are not big on education but we want the boys to get it in NZ coz we believe they will be taught properly,
I have not got rose colored glasses on, but i think it is doeable, all migrants must struggle before they find they feet, we like the fact that you can have a yard to grow stuff and can hunt and fish, we also know that it has low salaries but that does not bother us, as we were not after money just lifestyle, I really want my boys to get appys in NZ or College,
Yes i have read alot on this country even how they hate the asians and are racist, but what i want is proper education for kids. I think it can offer us what we want. Of course we will struggle but that is life you struggle here in the UK just paying bills and trying to live, with no life, its not for us maybe others, we like nature. NZ is far and we have thought long and hard between NZ and USA/Canada which would be easier, but we think NZ can offer the boys more. And no we dont have lots of savings either but look at it as an adventure, I know you all mean well but, some people have to have things in place before they move, Jobs, money etc, but we are not those type of people, we are like backpackers what comes, comes, I trust in God who holds all life. Thankyou all i really appreciate your replies and have laughed with some, just thinking how some people sit at the computer and give their info makes me smile i am doing the same thing to a stranger, but we seem to somehow trust each others words, if you all did not care you would not be replying think about that, but i think you do, to take time from yourselves just to give me a reply makes me really feel appreciated,

I know it will cost alot the money just paying airfares is a killer but well if all is lost well we tried, i always think of CHCH earthquake, so many people lost, so much destroyed many left that area, never to return, same with JAPAN they could not predict the future, life is more than money and jobs but you need both.
I have taught my boys that no-one person owns anything, you will all leave it oneday anyway, just live and enjoy life whereever in any country, If NZ does not want us well we will go somewhere else, its that simple.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinky2
and USA/Canada which would be easier,
I'm sorry but you really know very little about migrating to various countries. The US is nigh on impossible to get into unless you're married to an American or have an impressive skill and resume. As for Canada, it is not easy to get into but is easier than the US which is not saying much. Most people wait years to get into Canada.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:40 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are missing a lot of points Pinky2! You say you just want to rock up and what will be will be. You can't do that in NZ. It's not like the UK where we let anyone into our country until it becomes overcrowded, jobs become difficult to come by and resources become strained. NZ immigration think carefully about who they let in and it's not an easy process. I guess that process is in place to weed out the ones who aren't determined to really make a go of it. I say good on 'em really, I wish the UK took more of a stance like NZ when it comes to immigration then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Anyway back on topic. You say the airfares are hugely expensive. But then you're willing to fly out to NZ with no plan like "backpackers", which probably means you'll have to pay lots of money just to fly back to the UK again because non of you have the correct visas. That'll cost you a fortune! And with two teenagers in tow this will be anything but a chilled way of life. If I was a teenager and my parents were dragging me from pillar to post all around the world without much thought I would be anything but relaxed.

There's also the aspect of obtaining the correct visa, which you seem to be brushing under the carpet. In order for me to get the correct visa I had to get a chest xray, medical and a police report before I even applied. You and your family will have to get the medicals, xrays and a police report. This cost me about £300. If you intend to work out there (which it seems like you do) and don't arrange medicals and xrays before you get to NZ they will expect you to get this done whilst you are out there and it's much more expensive in NZ than the UK.

But hey, you don't seem to be taking much advice on board so just come over, wing it, be backpackers and it will all fall into place perfectly....! You'll both get jobs, your sons will fit in and getting an apprenticeship will be a breeze, you'll have a lovely house and loads of disposable income. If that's what you want to hear despite it being very unlikely then there it is!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

i know alot about migration okay this is what i kow
1 USA at this current moment, Baltimore, Chicago, Philidelphia are looking for migrants as they say that they need more no questions asked they are even looking for spanish migrants - check internet
2. Canada is easier as sep/oct they do let people in have lived there for 3 yrs, currently alberta is digging for oil needs people took alot of irish gave visa,
3 Australia - Perth is booming oil was found desperate for migrants needs various skills relaxed visa applications
4 NZ desperate for migrants population is aging needs youg people only 5m
5. UK has jobs gives it all to eastern euro and chasing out africans from commenwealth nations
6 China is booming was there for six weeks offered job cheap place to live and travel great people fantastic country
7 Angola is booming wealth unbelievable most people from portugal gone there
8. Africa welcomes most people from all over the world people make loads of money
9. Venuazuela/SA have free medical, free school, free dentist, free university, petrol is cheapest in the world and you can sell food outside your door, welcomes foreigners, so does brazil which is booming and fantastic country
I could go on, if you think i am naive then i think this post says it all, I am not a person that gets bogged down by little things
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Who says they are desperate??? Try getting a Visa, that'll show you just how 'desperate' they are...NOT
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite reached 5m
According to statistics NZ population clock at this moment in time: 4,441,367

Source: www.stats.govt.nz
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:08 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes NZ is so desperate for young people they have taken away the visa application for young adult sons and daughters of people who are already here.
I think your research is in all the wrong places and you NEED to be looking at the correct government Immigration sites for each country.
I must say dragging your family round the world on a whim or an adventure is not something I personally would recommend.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:18 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

It's OK everyone Pinky2 has googled "immigration USA" so she obviously knows what she's talking about.

From that little immigration rant you have shown just how naïve you really are. The reason SA give out free everything is because it's such an unstable country where you run the risk of being shot or raped every day! Venezuela is also politically unstable! But if you think these other countries are so great then why not go there instead of NZ?

You're not the kind of person who gets bogged down with little things. Because visas, kids education, housing, job and affordable living are all "little things", hmmmm!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:22 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Many countries want and need migrants but generally they need to bring specific skills or investments with them. You are naive as you seem to be expecting to turn up on NZ's shores and just find a job, live the perfect life and settle right in. You have no right to expect any foreign country to give you that, you are always dependent on their immigration policy and some countries will be easier than others. For you, NZ is probably not going to be easy.
You may not like to get bogged down by the 'little things' like visa applications but that is what will determine how successful you are [By successful I mean finding a job and getting to live the lifestyle you want]
Though of course you may consider a 6 month 'holiday' living off the smell of an oily rag a success as well Do your children understand the full implications of this move?; that they may not be able to get an education or job for the time you are here?

I suppose if you all want it and you have the cash to do it and don't mind losing it all and starting again elsewhere then go for it. It might just work but at least do it with your eyes wide open. None of us are being purposefully pessimistic but this isn't the land of milk and honey and jobs are not always easy to come by. Unfortunately money is king and we all need an income of some sort to live life.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, not desperate and does not need 'young' people, they need certain skilled and educated people to do certain things. Apparently all our young people prefer it in Australia and your boys may well be drawn to those bright lights too, once they are in a position to make up their own minds.

You, my dear, simply need to prove to a whole bunch of people that you and your family meet with the exacting requirements of Immigration New Zealand, suss out what visa you're going to apply for. If you have qualifications, a business proposition or a job, are healthy and able to prove your worth then you should have no problems.

Why don't you start getting on with the 'minor details' and get your application underway now with the hope that you could be in NZ within a twelve to eighteen month time frame, instead of trying to figure out how to do it in the next 12 to 18 days.

Presumably you are already sorted with your packers and flights, if indeed you are planning on coming next month..
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:27 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
It's OK everyone Pinky2 has googled "immigration USA" so she obviously knows what she's talking about.

From that little immigration rant you have shown just how naïve you really are. The reason SA give out free everything is because it's such an unstable country where you run the risk of being shot or raped every day! Venezuela is also politically unstable! But if you think these other countries are so great then why not go there instead of NZ?

You're not the kind of person who gets bogged down with little things. Because visas, kids education, housing, job and affordable living are all "little things", hmmmm!
Ah yes the USA; such an easy, user friendly and open armed approach to immigration
The naivety is stunning but never say never, Pinky2 may come on here in a years time and tell us just how easy moving to NZ was...
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
The naivety is stunning but never say never, Pinky2 may come on here in a years time and tell us just how easy moving to NZ was...
Only if they introduce a hard of understanding category.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

i really dont know why you guys are attacking me well it seems that way are you trying to put me off from coming there, well you might just succeed, if NZ has such pessamistic depressing people who wants to be around such but i think it must have rich and interllectual people also. Surely there must be lovely people in NZ,
Anyway to be honest it was not up to the british population whether they wanted immigrants or not and neither is it up to the NZ people whether they want it or not, the gov will do what it thinks fit, just like it happened to britian, america australia and now NZ, and if you think that it is easy to get into britian think again, when you stand in line to enter the plane in any country they check to see if you have a visa to come to britain. I for one definately value the Bpasport it is the key to many doors, england education is valued in many countries, i am not a person who degrades countries or people, england is one of the best countries in the world i am not saying that because i hold the passport but it has a lot to offer, people kill to get into this country by any means, but it does not have what i personally want. I dont understand why you are trying so hard to put me off.
For your information if you hold a african passport and you get into america, they will give you six months and a B1/B2 visa which is tourist business visa which allows you to start a business,
If you only know one way to get into a country then you read, but who is to say i will not want to start a business in NZ.

As i have said before i will be on the losing end if it does not work out, i am the one to suffer so wish me well
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

oh i forgot to ask?
If it does not work out can i come and couch sit/crash by your houses are any one of you willing to be christian/charitable and to show the NZ spirit?

i have a wicked sense of humour
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You could try:

http://www.aucklandcitymission.org.nz/

Although not sure of their policy on non-residents / illegal immigrants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.