Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

worried about emigrating

worried about emigrating

Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:56 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worried about emigrating

Originally Posted by pinky2
I know from reading the forums that it will be hard going but at least i got to try and it is for the boys, they need to chillout in a slow country
You need to consider whether this move is going to help them then. How will it chill them out if you can't get work or visas, they end up missing some part of their education [and yes they could do it later] and you are both stressed because of lack of money and uncertainty. You may have a big lump of savings that can tide you over for 6 months but NZ is not that cheap to live in and it will take a big dent out of that.

Unless either of you have other qualifications or there's something you're not telling us that bump up your points score then you cannot apply for residency as skilled migrants.

The only way you could get residency is via a Work to Residence visa and that would require you or him finding a job with an accredited employer that earns at least $55K pa. Truck drivers are not on the Long term shortage list which is another route onto the WTR visa

If you're happy with a Work Visa then you have to find a job first and that means living where you can get a job and being flexible about which part of NZ you are willing to live in. This is not permanent and if your visa expires and truck drivers come off the Immediate shortage list then your visa may not be renewed and you could end up having to leave NZ. You may be ok with that of course.

If you are serious about coming here then you need to know HOW you can work here and that means what visa you can apply for [looks like only the work visa or WTR would be available to you unless you can invest]. You need to have an idea how you're going to achieve that ie how you're going to find work as that is what you need. You need to have a really solid plan in place and know what you're aiming for. Could you cope with living over here for 6m with no income and then having to leave if it came to that?

Get all this straight in your head first and then consider coming over for a visit. You need to know as you may need to explain to any potential employer how exactly it is that you will get that all important visa that allows you to work.

We are not trying to be harsh; just realistic. The visa is the most important part of this, if you can't get one then you can't stay [and you may have to be in NZ to find a job] Catch 22!

Last edited by Persephone; Sep 11th 2012 at 1:58 am.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:01 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Sorry, when I said 'here' I meant Aus. You won't get on a plane to Aus unless you have an Aussie passport or a visa in another passport. I'd have thought they'd have been the same being as the two counties are joined at the hip Interesting to know, thanks!
Is that the ETA? I last went to Aus in 2008 and the travel agent did that for me-no cost and nothing stamped in my passport apart from an entry stamp.
Has it changed since then?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:01 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

on another point coming over on a 6mth "holiday" visa does not entitle you to look for work, so you would need to be careful on entering the country because if they assume you are over to actively look for work they may not allow you to enter
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:03 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Is that the ETA? I last went to Aus in 2008 and the travel agent did that for me-no cost and nothing stamped in my passport apart from an entry stamp.
Must be http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAInfoFAQFrameEn.html. seems very similar to the ESTA you need for USA
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:06 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
on another point coming over on a 6mth "holiday" visa does not entitle you to look for work, so you would need to be careful on entering the country because if they assume you are over to actively look for work they may not allow you to enter
Forgot to mention that- a very important point
Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Must be http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAInfoFAQFrameEn.html. seems very similar to the ESTA you need for USA
So it's no longer free then
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So it's no longer free then
Not free, well the visa is, but the service charge is $20 - bit of a con really, and it only gives you three months. There are other Tourist Visas as well that give you longer, cost more etc etc but you can't just rock up and shout you're British.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is like combined sketch from Facejacker and Come Fly With Me.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:22 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandJMay

I have found that NZ looks after its own first and for employees to recruit form overseas they have to jump many hurdles.
Quite right too, hey
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is like combined sketch from Facejacker and Come Fly With Me.
Good afternoon Madam, My name is George and I am calling from your building society....
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Chris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond reputeChris-Napier has a reputation beyond repute

Hi..... from what you have said, you do not want to stay in UK. How long have you lived there then? I know you have a British passport but as others have said, you would need the correct visa's to come and live and work here. If you come on a 'visitors visa', you would not be able to work and I am not sure what your two sons would do to be honest. They couldn't just start college or school if you are 'visiting'. It is not as easy as you think I'm afraid. Your husband is a truck driver and even if he did manage to get a job, jobs are pretty hard here as well. When we came here in 2007, we knew a guy from UK who got a job here as a truck driver but after less than 2 years, they told him they didn't need him anymore and he ended up going back to UK. Personally, I think the cost of living is high here and salaries are low. Maybe, you have plenty of savings that you could live on if you came over but I do believe you need to go through the proper procedures with immigration. They will tell you what you can and can't do etc. I truly think that October is not enough time. I know you do not want to pay more rent where you are but you should stay and get more information before taking the leap. Whatever you do decide to do though, I wish you luck!!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not free, well the visa is, but the service charge is $20 - bit of a con really, and it only gives you three months. There are other Tourist Visas as well that give you longer, cost more etc etc but you can't just rock up and shout you're British.
I applied online for the Australian ETA for my British passport last year and it didn't cost me anything and I was told it's valid for 12 months. When did they start charging?

The USA ESTA is free but carries a $14 'tourist tax' (it did when I got mine earlier this year) and it's valid for 18 months!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:20 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
that's quite interesting to know. i thought you could always just work wherever, but i'd never looked into it in detail given that I don't speak another language.
I should have specified that having a proper job gets you free health coverage as your taxes and contributions etc. are automatically removed from your salary.

People who just want to live and retire here have to prove sufficient savings or income and private health insurance in order to become legal residents. It's to stop people becoming a burden to other memeber states although there are some reciprocal agreements in place for pensioners.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I applied online for the Australian ETA for my British passport last year and it didn't cost me anything and I was told it's valid for 12 months. When did they start charging?

The USA ESTA is free but carries a $14 'tourist tax' (it did when I got mine earlier this year) and it's valid for 18 months!
Lordy, don't ask me, I've not had one for 30 years. I was just going by the DIAC website which states there's the 20 buck service charge - how long it's been in place or whether they actually charge it I have no idea. You can't stay for 12 months though, you can only stay up to three months at a time although you can come in again and stay for another three months etc within that 12 months.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe it, this thread got to three pages long and nobody has said 'Yeah why not, come on over, she'll be right, the water and scenery are so lovely, you hardly need a job at all.'

Some people bumble along, do no research, fall in shit and come up smelling of roses. So you never know your luck, you might be one of them, or you could end up on Border Patrol.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

hes taking the p*ss if you ask me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.