Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

World's most peaceful country.

World's most peaceful country.

Old May 26th 2011, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default World's most peaceful country.

By contrast to yesterday's thread of gloom here is today's news.

No its not us..we are 2nd. Yes NZ is the 2nd most peaceful country on earth. Iceland beat us and Japan came 3rd.

Browner will be thinking 'bollocks', indeed he is correct. This accolade refers to 'less violent' rather than 'quiet'.

So there you go. And we got this wonderful pat on the back inspite of the fact that the world is a MORE violent place generally.

Some how, someone somewhere has worked out that violence in 2010 cost the world $8.12 trillion US give or take the odd $$.
Old May 26th 2011, 5:09 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World's most peaceful country.

Got a link to the source? Might be useful to those potential immigrants worried by reports of constant gang violence....
Old May 26th 2011, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi View Post
Got a link to the source? Might be useful to those potential immigrants worried by reports of constant gang violence....
Just google it. Add 2011 to the title of this post. Sorry I don't know how to do links. So that's forex and IT I know sod all about......and a shit load more I can or rather can't tell you about!!
Old May 26th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's not hard to find it, because NZ will always make a big song and dance about it year after year and I can't believe it has come around so quickly. NZ will always do well because of it's not involved in the sale of arms, military investment is minimal and is a low risk terrorist target.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10728194

However when you delve into the nitty gritty that makes up individual indicators; you might note that for example in terms of violent crime NZ doesn't actually fare so well. Being on scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being very low and 5 being high

UK and USA got a score of 1, NZ got a 2 and South Africa gets a 5

http://www.visionofhumanity.org/gpi-data/#/2011/CRIM

NZ also has a higher jailed population than the UK and just like the UK the jails are rammed full to capacity; being probably one of the few growth industries over recent years in terms of new building and capital investment.

I am sure some would argue until the cows come home about differing regimes for sentencing; but lighter sentencing, home detention and some very poor decision making around early release and parole seem to be the order of the 'Justice' systems in both countries, because there simply isn't enough room to keep them all incarcerated.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; May 26th 2011 at 7:43 am.
Old May 26th 2011, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post

No its not us..we are 2nd. Yes NZ is the 2nd most peaceful country on earth. Iceland beat us and Japan came 3rd.

Browner will be thinking 'bollocks', indeed he is correct. This accolade refers to 'less violent' rather than 'quiet'.
I havent read it, but how do they define 'peaceful'?
It aint the middle east, we all know that. We dont have drones lying overhead or many terrorist attacks. We dont have the drug beheadings of Colombia or Mexico.So in that respect I guess we must be quite up there.

But I have to say in my entire life I have never been near a terrorist attack, drug beheading, bomb attack, drive by shooting, exocet missile attack, invasion by a foreign power, genocide, or suicide bombing.

So maybe Im lucky?
Old May 26th 2011, 8:50 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Just google it. Add 2011 to the title of this post. Sorry I don't know how to do links. So that's forex and IT I know sod all about......and a shit load more I can or rather can't tell you about!!
Jeez, you could just state where it was, no IT skills required, costs nothing to be helpful.

You going to refer to our Forex disagreement in all other threads now????

Can´t ever see how NZ is twice as bad as the USA for violent crime though.....

Last edited by simonsi; May 26th 2011 at 8:58 am.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeez, you could just state where it was, no IT skills required, costs nothing to be helpful.

For God's sake I answered your question..I have no idea where it was..all I did was google it..Christ YOU are touchy. 'Costs nothing to be helpful' FFS..what are you on? Why don't you just put me on ignore..better still I'll put you on it!
Old May 26th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Bo- Jangles,

Point taken on incarceration. You do, however, need to be careful when just looking at the stats of each country in isolation. The reason being that countries vary greatly on how quickly you get thrown in jail & indeed, how long you stay there. You will probably be aware of the California '3 strikes & you're out', law- which NZ has replicated in some forms. As a result, CA has a very high rate of incarceration. The other point is how many developing countries stats would you really trust.

In any event, maori rates of imprisonment are a sad indictment on NZ. NZ like to piously hold up the point that their aboriginal people have better rates of education, housing, etc......but it's like comparing the living standards of Somalia & Zimbabwe. The figures themselves, are abysmal & should not be a point of celebration, which leads to what the maori people & the NZ govt are doing about it (rates of incarceration). That's a whole other story.
Old May 26th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

So there you go. And we got this wonderful pat on the back inspite of the fact that the world is a MORE violent place generally.

Some how, someone somewhere has worked out that violence in 2010 cost the world $8.12 trillion US give or take the odd $$.
Is it even fair to include iceland ......... apart from volcanoes and ice there is not much else there
Old May 27th 2011, 2:14 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

For God's sake I answered your question..I have no idea where it was..all I did was google it..Christ YOU are touchy. 'Costs nothing to be helpful' FFS..what are you on? Why don't you just put me on ignore..better still I'll put you on it!
If I could just mention this is meant to be a "Peaceful" thread (see what I did there ... )

It would be more beneficial if you could respect each others very differing points of view as this sniping between the two of you, on this and other threads, is often detracting from the topic and just devalues your own personal viewpoints. I am also concerned it can be very off putting for others wanting to join in an interesting debate, especially new members.

This and the "Does NZ Have a Future" threads are producing some interesting discussion, let's try and keep it to that.
Old May 27th 2011, 3:01 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The real questions should be why isn't New Zealand first this year, is it a freeloader and what about family violence?

The Economist, in publishing the index, admitted that, "the index will run into some flak."

Specifically, according to The Economist, the weighting of military expenditure "may seem to give heart to freeloaders: countries that enjoy peace precisely because others (often the USA) care for their defense."

The true utility of the index may lie not in its specific rankings of countries now, but in how those rankings change over time, thus tracking when and how countries become more or less peaceful.

The Peace Index has been criticised for not including indicators specifically relating to violence against women and children.

Riane Eisler, writing in the Christian Science Monitor, argued that, "to put it mildly, this blind spot makes the index very inaccurate." She mentions a number of specific cases, including Egypt, where she claims 90% of women are subject to genital mutilation and China, where, she says, "female infanticide is still a problem," according to a 2000 UNICEF study.
Because I'm a helpful type and because some get twitchy about this sort of thing I'll add the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

Of course this could spark off a another debate about violence to women and children in New Zealand, about which there are many scholarly articles.

https://researchspace.auckland.ac.nz...pdf?sequence=1

http://www.rethinking.org.nz/assets/...20Violence.pdf

http://www.waitematadhb.govt.nz/Link...id=167&mid=572

And I'm sure people are well aware of the smacking legislation that we fought so hard to keep

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; May 27th 2011 at 3:13 am. Reason: added link
Old May 27th 2011, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Peace Indicators

Level of organized conflict
Armed services personnel
Weapons imports
Military expenditure
Number of conflicts fought
Jailed population
Deaths from conflict (internal)
Potential for terriorist actsLevel of violent crime
Political instability
Military capability/sophistication
Disrespect for human rights
Number of homicides
UN Peacekeeping funding
Number of heavy weapons
Number of displaced people
Neighbouring country relations
Weapons exports
Deaths from conflict (external)
Violent demonstrationsAccess to weapons
Perceived criminality in society
Security officers & police

Reading the peace indicators above it's not too hard to see why NZ would be near the top, however I suspect some of them cancel out some we are not doing so well at.
IMO these such rankings are usually selectively interpreted about how one feels about a place.
The jail population is always an interesting debate, especially around Maori figures here in NZ. Working within the criminal justice system as I do it is promising to see the way mind sets are slowly turning towards why people are offending and looking for more effective interventions. Of course one could always excuse the increase of prison inmates in NZ is due to better rates of reported crime and more effective Police investigations.

At the end of the day reactions around Country rankings etc such as this depend mostly on how the reader feels about the country they live in (or don't live in)

For anyone one who is interested in up to date crime stats for NZ

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/monthly-statistics

Genesis you may be interested in getting this sent to you

http://www.tenone.police.govt.nz/tenone/default.htm
Old May 27th 2011, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
If I could just mention this is meant to be a "Peaceful" thread (see what I did there ... )

It would be more beneficial if you could respect each others very differing points of view as this sniping between the two of you, on this and other threads, is often detracting from the topic and just devalues your own personal viewpoints. I am also concerned it can be very off putting for others wanting to join in an interesting debate, especially new members.

This and the "Does NZ Have a Future" threads are producing some interesting discussion, let's try and keep it to that.
He's on ignore..for ever, it won't happen again Miss.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:47 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

He's on ignore..for ever, it won't happen again Miss.
Good boy.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post

Sorry, did make me laugh out loud the irony of it all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.