Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The world's fastest indian!

The world's fastest indian!

Old Jul 2nd 2009, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice
Default The world's fastest indian!

What a great film, just caught the end of it... I never realised that Burt Munro was from Invercargill NZ and that it was filmed on location there

may just have to watch it again...!!
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 5:39 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The world's fastest indian!

Watch it again, it restores your faith in humanity.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 5:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

...but then you realise it's just a film .
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Watch it again, it restores your faith in humanity.
Lol! That's much needed sometimes!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:13 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave77
Lol! That's much needed sometimes!
Yeah, brilliant film, was on TV around Christmas, watched it then and just had to watch again! Faith in most of humanity restored ...
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dave77
I never realised that Burt Munro was from Invercargill NZ
Is it a real story?
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Is it a real story?
Yeah check the link out!

http://www.indianmotorbikes.com/feat...unro/munro.htm

At the end of the film it mentioned one of his land speed records still stands today!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:15 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

And, in case anyone was wondering - the accent is incredibly accurate. It's kind of a weird accent in the sense that very few people actually speak that way now. It's more than just rolling of the 'r' which is common in the deep south. But also a kiwi meets scottish grandmother kind of accent. My family is from there and my grandfather had nearly the exact same accent. My greatgrandmother was the same - it's spooky. It seems to have died out a bit though, which is a pity.

Sorry, i just thought I would throw that out there. I got into a heck of a barney with someone a while back over that accent - he spent time in Dunedin whilst at university and professed to be an expert. Nope. Dunedin is different.

In fact, few people from Invercargill unless they were born and raised there and are now 80 years old plus probably speak with that accent. My cousins who live there now (in their 20s and 30s) don't sound like that.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
And, in case anyone was wondering - the accent is incredibly accurate. It's kind of a weird accent in the sense that very few people actually speak that way now. It's more than just rolling of the 'r' which is common in the deep south. But also a kiwi meets scottish grandmother kind of accent. My family is from there and my grandfather had nearly the exact same accent. My greatgrandmother was the same - it's spooky. It seems to have died out a bit though, which is a pity.

Sorry, i just thought I would throw that out there. I got into a heck of a barney with someone a while back over that accent - he spent time in Dunedin whilst at university and professed to be an expert. Nope. Dunedin is different.

In fact, few people from Invercargill unless they were born and raised there and are now 80 years old plus probably speak with that accent. My cousins who live there now (in their 20s and 30s) don't sound like that.

Lol! I just presumed Hopkins had 'improvised' with the accent... kind of like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:17 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Nah it's weird. You need to find someone who was of the same vintage - even older - who preferably didn't really leave the invercargill/gore/mataura area and you will hear it.

Apparently his son and family heard Sir Anthony Hopkin's voice on camera and were spooked.

As an example - my great-grandmother spoke with a 'scottish' accent. Not actually scottish obviously as she was born in NZ, but the accent of her parents and all their parents.

Very odd.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future

My FiL knew Burt Munroe, was a young whippersnapper in his later days. Said the guy was quite arrogant following his achievements, but seriously: who wouldn't be after that?!

I thought the accent must have been made up too *lol* so did hubby!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:46 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I agree its less obvious these days, but you can still tell the odd Southlander by their accent. Like you I grew up there and moved away. And I lived in the Uk for 10 years so that took care of most of my own accent.

I still have a cousin who is now 50, and she moved away from Southland when she was in her teens. Her accent is still distinctly Southland. She lives in another rural part of the South Island, so that might explain it...

ps.. old Burt was my dad's cousin, but I don't ever remember meeting him. As the movie shows he didn't spend a lot of time with his wife, let alone the rest of his extended family. But I grew up with stories of how he was a world beater, so its rather nice to see the story so wonderfully told.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:43 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I thought Antony Hopkins was just doing a really dodgy NZ accent as well. Got to the end of the film and told Mr Sue that it was a great film "pity about the accent" and he just laughed at me!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:09 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The world's fastest indian!

I liked the shelf he has which said "Sacrifices to the god of speed" and his version of mowing the lawn with petrol , propper blokey stuff .
Old Jul 9th 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southerner
I agree its less obvious these days, but you can still tell the odd Southlander by their accent. Like you I grew up there and moved away. And I lived in the Uk for 10 years so that took care of most of my own accent.

I still have a cousin who is now 50, and she moved away from Southland when she was in her teens. Her accent is still distinctly Southland. She lives in another rural part of the South Island, so that might explain it...

ps.. old Burt was my dad's cousin, but I don't ever remember meeting him. As the movie shows he didn't spend a lot of time with his wife, let alone the rest of his extended family. But I grew up with stories of how he was a world beater, so its rather nice to see the story so wonderfully told.
cool! ur dad's cousin eh?! thats something to tell the grandchildren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.