British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   World Cup Predictions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/world-cup-predictions-831624/)

gazmac Apr 18th 2014 11:42 am

World Cup Predictions

As Scotland have once again opted to allow 32 other nations to complete for this much sought after trophy I find myself at odds as who to support.

Obviously there are Italy, Costa Rica and Uruguay who at various point I will no doubt find myself cheering for but looking at a an overall winner i think im going to stick my neck out and say.....

Germany

Bring it on...

TommyLuck Apr 21st 2014 11:21 pm

Re: World Cup Predictions

Somewhat surprisingly to myself, as a previously ardent Tottenham fan as a season ticket holder, the lack of Football in my life has been refreshing.

That said, it seems you are not immune to the Scottish footballing inferiority complex :rofl:

It's almost as if you'd rather see the English fail than Scotland succeed. England will almost certainly fail.

Mind you the Scots are tight (allegedly), so betting on a sure thing creates some comfort eh ;)

As it is, I love my sport and will look forward to the big games. It's a shame the Spain v. Netherlands game on the 14th of June is the 1st game in the group for either team.

Of course I'll get behind England, but not expecting anything. I'm old enough to have been young and stupid enough to be hopeful and have my heart broken in 1990 and 1996 (although not a Word Cup of course, that one) and being a Tottenham fan, I know the feeling of disappointment very well.

I think Brazil might be prove a very difficult challenge at home, although I imagine Argentina will be up for claiming victory in the realms of their old enemy.

Only once has a team from Europe won a World Cup outside of Europe, albeit in the last World Cup, it was a 'new' footballing country which was unfamiliar to everyone who realisitcally had a chance of winning.

I just think in a Football stronghold such as Brazil, the South American teams will thrive.

gazmac Apr 24th 2014 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 11228446)
It's almost as if you'd rather see the English fail than Scotland succeed.

When it comes to national football I love to see England fail, just as much as i do France.

I would like to see Scotland succeed but Scotland failed to qualify over 12 months ago, so I have to have something to look forward too.

From an banter point of view its much more fun being on the other side, especially when I play football with a lot of English lads.

You lot give just as much as you get back.

Besides a penaly shootout in the semi final is great entertainment for the neutrals.

barnsleymat Apr 24th 2014 11:04 pm

I'm looking forward to it, it's been an awful season for my team Barnsley so hopefully this WC I'll have something to cheer about. I'm guessing it'll be totally overlooked by NZ media just like the Winter Olympics due to NZ not taking part. Which is crazy as anyone that lives here knows the massive amount of interest football has in this country, as the years roll past the more football is edging towards the dwiddling national sport Rugby Union in popularity. It's just a lot of people totally deny it especially the media.

We've got no chance of winning or even coming close but I'm hopeful we'll give it everything we've got.

As for the Scots not wanting us to do well, fair play. I never want to see them or the Irish do well in anything.

snaps Apr 24th 2014 11:42 pm

Looking for to England winning by know it is a dream. Happy for any decent team to win, well some ofthem anyway.

I worked with a Scot and also worked in Dublin for a while they all appeared to be ABE. I'm now ABI or ABS totally.

gazmac Apr 25th 2014 12:33 am

Ill be in the UK for the whole thing, should be decent.

I dont think all Scots are ABE but when football and rugby are concerned I certainly do enjoy supporting the other side...

barnsleymat Apr 25th 2014 12:35 am

Originally Posted by gazmac (Post 11233358)
I dont think all Scots are ABE but when football and rugby are concerned I certainly do enjoy supporting the other side...

I'm ABE when it comes to Englands Upper Class Rugby Union side.

TommyLuck Apr 27th 2014 9:31 pm

I couldn't give a monkeys how well anyone else does, I never understood the glee people derive from someone elses failure.

snaps Apr 27th 2014 11:49 pm

TL - go work in Dublin for a while, you may change your tune.

TommyLuck Apr 28th 2014 2:16 am

I can sympathise with the Irish, we (the English) have treated them with a heavy hand over the past few centuries.

They've got something to have beef about, that's for sure.

I should clarify that I 100% and wholly do not sympathise with terrorist activity.

snaps Apr 28th 2014 2:51 am

Exactly... as the Romans did to the English all those years ago too, but I don't keep bringing it up every time I have a London Pride or Spitfire. ;o)

TommyLuck Apr 28th 2014 2:56 am

What did the Romans ever do for us ... ?

snaps Apr 28th 2014 4:54 am

Not a great deal really, here is a short list:
Here’s a list of some of the things the Romans introduced to Britain:

The calendar we still use today.
The census – the practice of counting a population.
High-quality straight roads
Central heating
Aqueducts (water bridges)
Indoor plumbing
Towns
Cabbages
Peas
Public libraries
Public noticeboards
Firemen
Police
Stinging nettles
Cats
Grapes
Pears
Paved streets
Turnips
Carrots
Cement
Bricks
Heated baths
Language (Latin)
Golf?
Bagpipes?

TommyLuck Apr 28th 2014 9:43 pm

We are both referencing Monty Python, right ... ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foi342LXQE

snaps Apr 28th 2014 9:44 pm

I was and I guessed you were too.

Great sketch from the film.

Brilliant.