Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

World Cup Predictions

World Cup Predictions

Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup Predictions

Aaah football, one of my favourite topics when the wife is away

I can't see anyone but Spain winning it. They are just too good I'm afraid. I think they'll beat Brazil in the final or perhaps an underdog like Uruguay. I do fancy the Uruguyans to have a very good tournament. Semi finals I think they'll get to I reckon.

England will do well to get out of the group stages. They have to attack, Roy cannot play a wall of 11 men behind the ball like he did against Italy and the Ukraine to be fair in 2010. There are some decent attack minded players in the England team, give that ball to Ross Barkley or Adam Lallana and let them do their work. Those two players are going to be stars and I hope produce it for England as well as their respective clubs.

I think Theo Walcott missing the world cup is a huge blow to us. His intelligence, running off the ball and getting inside the defence will be missed. I doubt any of those sad Tottenham fans will agree, given their mummy crying outrage when he gestured at them. Awww poor little Tottingham

I'm looking forward to watching it whether here or in Australia. I just hope we give a good account of ourselves, unlike the last world cup where we were an absolute embarrassment. Yes Rooney it was you footballers that were the embarrassment, not the fans. Stick to granny bedding than commenting about supporters.

Barnsleymat - see you next season. You've got a decent manager there that was treated like dogs excrement at Bramall Lane, all because he played for the dark side. He was very unlucky not to get us promoted in the first or second season. I hope he does well for you and wish him all the best
Old May 6th 2014, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see a title with World Cup in it talking about real footy for a change.

Sadly I can't see England doing much, we'll do well to get out of the group stage with Uruguay and Italy in it. Seem to have a fair number injuries, Townsend who shone in the last few qualifiers and Walcott both not going.

TV coverage of the last World Cup in 2010 was decent, on one of the free local channels, with plenty of matches shown and reasonable highlights package.

This time though it's on Sky only, and the times aren't great either, all being morning fixtures, so doubt I'll see much.

I see Germany taking it out.
Old May 12th 2014, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Well Mr Hodgson has named his squad. Delighted that Ross Barkley is included. He's looked quality this season, shame he's had links to the dark side but nevermind

I suppose Smalling is only in the squad because he can play anywhere across the back 4. Even though I think Harry Maguire is 20,000 times better than him. I would have preferred the other young Evertonian lad John Stones to go instead. Mmmmm Stones best bitter, yum yum!

A shame that Ashley Cole has missed out as despite his age, I'd prefer him to go than Leighton Baines (never really rated Baines). Delighted that Shaw is there as well, up coming young talent. I hope Roy uses him instead of what Sven did when he took Theo to Germany.

I'm a little more optimistic than before but I still think we won't get out of the group. It all depends on the match v Italy. Win that and you never know. Uruguay I can't see us getting anything against as I fancy them to do well.
Old May 15th 2014, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

BlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to all

Been struggling to work out who's playing and when (NZ timings). Best I can find is this BBC site where you just add 11 hours.

10 a.m. Sunday the 15th should see a few sports bars (and Italian restaurants) full to bursting (in Auckland anyway).

Also apparently NZ SKY are showing all games live plus there are 11 on free to air I believe.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Nice to see a title with World Cup in it talking about real footy for a change.

Sadly I can't see England doing much, we'll do well to get out of the group stage with Uruguay and Italy in it. Seem to have a fair number injuries, Townsend who shone in the last few qualifiers and Walcott both not going.

TV coverage of the last World Cup in 2010 was decent, on one of the free local channels, with plenty of matches shown and reasonable highlights package.

This time though it's on Sky only, and the times aren't great either, all being morning fixtures, so doubt I'll see much.

I see Germany taking it out.
Sad to see my prediction about England not making it out of the group stage was correct, with the 3rd game being irrelevant. That said it was not as depressing as South Africa four years ago, a tad unlucky against what was admittedly a poor Italian side, and we've often played worse and gone further in the tournament.
Right to stay with Hodgson

Time to pick out 2nd team to follow, I'll go with Dutch having forecast a Germany v Holland final from the start.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Time to pick out 2nd team to follow, I'll go with Dutch having forecast a Germany v Holland final from the start.
A Germany v. Netherlands final would be awesome.

I can't see two European teams making the final however.

Mexico go into the game with the Dutch complete underdogs, nothing to lose, but are arguably one of the form teams given the group they came through. They have only conceded one goal and that was at the end of a game they'd already won.

Should be a cracker. If Mexico go toe to toe with the Dutch I can see an upset.

As this World Cup has proved, nothing is a foregone conclusion - though if there is going to be a 'new' winner (i.e a team who hasn't won it before) the Dutch are the only real contenders for that. Although Chile, USA, Mexico, Belguim and even perhaps Costa Rica placing themselves all as dark horses!!

To put the positive on it now, England are out at least I can watch games not worrying about how England might deal these lot.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I had USA in the office sweepstake. Belgium look a handy team on paper, and prob could've monstered the USA, but there were plenty of chances to take it out from both sides.

So, I'm left having to choose a new loyalty. I can't go with the Germans, although it is probably odds-on that they will make the final (I can't see Brazil beating Colombia to be honest). So, assuming the Belgians fall to Argentina, let's go for the Dutch. Having said that, Robben has got to cut out the diving - it's making him look stupid.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

I'd like Colombia to win it

There's a fantastic documentary about Colombia called 'The Two Escobars'. Well worth watching if interested. It's one of the 30 on 30 programmes ESPN did. How football was in the 80s and early 90s in Colombia.

As long as the Argentinians go out, that's all that matters. Even though a former Blade is their manager. It means there won't be a media masturbation session over Messi as they generally love having.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
I'd like Colombia to win it
That would be fantastic. I wasn't impressed when the greeks won the Euros, but, yes, I am all for Colombia winning the world cup.
Back to USA - I said when they held the tournament that they would win it in my lifetime. Still waiting. And, God their fans are so dreadfully try-hard.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

...and so the German machine marches on. Quelle surprise say their opponents. Rally looking fwd to the next game in an hour. Just off for a dip in the spa in the meantime. Is it too early for a beer?
Old Jul 10th 2014, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

...I'll go with Dutch having forecast a Germany v Holland final from the start.
Very nearly!!
Old Jul 11th 2014, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Very nearly!!
Yeah, I had predicted the 4 semi finalists so wish I'd put money on that line up. The Dutch can have few complaints missing out on the final on pens, as they hadn't managed a goal in their last 240 of football.

Seems strange supporting the Germans, but despite Messi there's no way I'd back Argentina after '86.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Seems strange supporting the Germans, but despite Messi there's no way I'd back Argentina after '86.
I wouldn't say I was rooting for the Germans, I was rooting for a good game, but my preference was a German win.

Argentina are left to rue some golden opportunities to take the lead in the first half, notably the Higuain miss from Kroos misdirected, or underhit header.

Higuain, I'm sure, would score that 100 times out of a 100 for Napoli. Funny what affect a World Cup Final has on a person. After all they are people, like you and I. Can't believe he missed the target completely. Too much time, perhaps?

The rest is history, as they say, and if you completely obliterate the host nation en route to the Final, you probably deserve to take the spoils.

Well done Germany.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:05 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a huge fan of Germany of course even though they play a coquette and don't write back to my letters . One more reason to embrace EU federalism and a United States of Europe, it's Britain's best chance of ever winning another world cup .

Honestly I though Germany where ferocious against Brazil, 5-0 first half was one thing but to add a couple more in the second half...there does not appear to be a German word for contrition.

However I was much disappointed by England. I think they need to go back to the drawing board and look again at every aspect from grass roots player development upwards. England have consistently underperformed their potential while teams like Germany and the Netherlands have consistently out performed. I don't think these problems can be attributed to team selection or management, it's a systematic issue.