Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

World Cup - Merged Threads

World Cup - Merged Threads

Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:02 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meat Pie Sausage Roll Come On England Give Us A Goal

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
How about this for the team against Algeria?

Hart - GK

Johnson - RB
Terry - CB
Dawson - CB - he's the fastest we've got
Cole, A - LB

Barry - DMFD - hope he isn't injured still
Lampard - AMFD
Cole, J - LM - played there with success in the last WC - and if it doesn't work...swap him with Gerrad
Lennon, RM - better than SWP

Gerrad - CF - just behind Rooney

Rooney - Str
Seems like the best set-up to me with Barry back and I'd take Gerrard in the free role behind Rooney over Heskey for the reasons you stated earlier.
Also with you on Lenon vs SWP :-)
If Joe Cole can dig deep he'd be my first choice in left mid. Surprised Chelsea are letting him go but then I suppose he is expensive to keep in reserve.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:23 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pestman
Dear eee me!

whats with all the bad feeling Lardyl twas just an opinion, I dont need Wiki to have one do I?
Yep you can have your opinion but when you come on the thread and suggest that we England fans are all beered up, face painted hoolis then you will expect a response.
Especially when you offer views and then when someone disagrees you either deflect or tell us all that is what you said in the first place.
In fact you took issue with my positive post on this thread and tried to make out that those of us who are behind the England side are all unthinking, uncultured sheep which we are not.
And the comment about a British team, well that was either a straight wind-up from trolling central or so misguided it isn't worth commenting further about.
Anyway have a nice day and enjoy the football.
Remember those who can do, those who can't teach and those who can't teach write books. Some might say that those who can't do anything end up reffing or finally running the line - and that is coming from someone who reffed plenty of men's and midgets games over the last few seasons.
When that happens over time or for injury then that's understandable but when it's from their youth you have to wonder if their judgement is clouded by bitterness of failures past.
I know and have played with lads who were apprenticed by top clubs and then thrown on the scrapheap at 17 or 18 and some of them didn't want to go near a ball for years. I can understand why they might be bitter over these "overpaid" players.
Feel free to tell us where you ft in......and why you think that the England players are such overpaid/over-hyped wasters. Or are you just repeating what the press tells us?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:30 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Those who can do,
Those who can't teach
Those who can't teach write books
Those who can't write books....become lecturers!

....and I've seen lads thrown on the scrap heap far earlier than 17....one young keeper was told at 12 that he would never be a proffesional because he was too small ....not by a medically qualified person who maybe took some key measurements, but by the goalkeeping coach at Southampton who used as his evidence the size of the lads Mum and Dad! I'd love to say the lad went on to prove them wrong but I'm afraid he too dropped out of football.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:38 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Those who can do,
Those who can't teach
Those who can't teach write books
Those who can't write books....become lecturers!

....and I've seen lads thrown on the scrap heap far earlier than 17....one young keeper was told at 12 that he would never be a proffesional because he was too small ....not by a medically qualified person who maybe took some key measurements, but by the goalkeeping coach at Southampton who used as his evidence the size of the lads Mum and Dad! I'd love to say the lad went on to prove them wrong but I'm afraid he too dropped out of football.
pity for him - remember Paul Cooper - Ipswich Town's keeper, under 6 foot and the smallest in Div 1 at the time - he was from Brierley Hill, just down the road from where I was brought up in Dudley. He did pretty well for them in the 70s. Won FA cups and UEFA cup.

one of my team mates got the shove from the Bhoys at 17 as a keeper and never kicked a ball in anger for 10 years.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:44 pm
you dewty owld maan!

We lived in a village close to the Ryton training ground and had a couple of Stoke scouts living there. One of the neighbours kids had at age 8 approaches from Man U, Leicester and the Villa.
For me that's too young for the kids to be pressured into performing and parents to see all those pound signs.
I coach 8, 9, and 10 year olds and some of them will not amount to much at all but they love playing and want to develop. For me they are in almost a better position than the rep kids some of whom are being ordered around by coaches and parents.
Having said that our kids results this season may reflect a slightly laid back attitude from the coach. But for me getting the basics of controlling the ball, shielding it (holding onto it) and findind space/a pass is what I need to concentrate on and let the game teach them the rest, once they can be confident receiving and playing the ball
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

Default Re: World Cup

Originally Posted by weejie
Prefer to be an egg chaser Already put in our request for Dunedin venue tickets for me,OH and 2 boys. Will also be applying for tickets for Scotland match in Invercargill....how else would a girl celebrate her 16th wedding anniversary?

Phyl x
good on ya - Horth Harbour was a little expensive for us - prefer the winter tests as you can get to Eden Park on the bus and tickets are reasonable
Old Jun 14th 2010, 1:09 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

heck Lardyl you certainly dont like being disagreed with do you.

This isnt a contest as to who did what in their youth and I could go on with my acheivements in the way of football but I will leave you to do that as it clearly makes you feel able to have a superior point of view based around yours.

Being a reff or running the line was for me a case of experiencing ALL aspects of the game and yes from an early age and through my playing days as well,and I would say made me a better player all round.

No the British team wasnt a wind up.What is wrong with that idea?

Times move on but our 'game' stands still I say lets do it and get a pick of the entire british isles for a team.We are a fraction of the size of France,Germany and a few others yet are divided up and that limits choice.

Yeah yeah what about being English well what about it.A combined team wouldnt stop the flags flying or people cheering on the team.

Clearly I realise not ALL English fans paint faces or drink,please get real on that front!

Fact is it's football, a game and like it or not we are not a patch on other teams.

Hope I end up eating my posts but doubt it will change, maybe it's the coaching thats at fault
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pestman
No the British team wasnt a wind up.What is wrong with that idea?
I dont think the scottish, welsh or northern ireland FA's would want anything to do with that idea.
Its not as simple as the English saying its what we want.
Personally i dont want a combined team and can you seriously imagine a scotsman cheering on
a team of englishmen.

Can we stop with the pissing contest please. everyones opinion is just as valid as the next.
I've only played at jumpers for goalposts level and i'm sure many have a far greater in depth knowledge
of the finer points of the game than i do but the great thing about the beautiful game is that
it is a global language that unites us all in our love for the game itself far more than it divides us
through our national loyalties. Lets not forget even waring countries national teams put differences
aside to compete in a mere football match.
Now anymore from you lot and you'll be off, its my thread so that makes me the ref.
So keep it civil please, shake hands and get on with it or the red cards coming out, Final warning
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by colandros
I dont think the scottish, welsh or northern ireland FA's would want anything to do with that idea.
Its not as simple as the English saying its what we want.
Personally i dont want a combined team and can you seriously imagine a scotsman cheering on
a team of englishmen....
exactly!
and I agree with the rest of the post too mate.
/extends hand/
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Calm down lads .. nothing like footie, especially at international level to bring out all the testerterone ! No wonder D.V rates go up when matches don't go the right way. Everyone is entitled to an opinion ,even us girlies who love football , so lets keep it nice & friendly and support our boys.
Are you feeling the love yet
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:14 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
exactly!
and I agree with the rest of the post too mate.
/extends hand/
Well I can only think of a few players that would have improved an England team...

George Best
Ryan Giggs
Denis Law
Neville Southall (although at the time England was blessed with sublime 'keepers not like now)

Anyone care to name a current British, non English player that would make the squad....cause I can't think of one (except Giggsie who'd still be an improvement on what England currently have)
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not i actually think Stephen Ireland would fit into the squad.
Very skillful midfielder with a good workrate on the pitch. and i would love
to see Craig Bellamy play along side Rooney.
I admit this through clenched teeth as a manchester born and bred red.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 5:04 am
Cow on the Beach

Believe it or not i actually think Stephen Ireland would fit into the squad.
Very skillful midfielder with a good workrate on the pitch. and i would love
to see Craig Bellamy play along side Rooney.
I admit this through clenched teeth as a manchester born and bred red.
That'd be a great trio, Rooney, Ireland and Bellamy....they'd not finish a single game without one of them getting sent off!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

That'd be a great trio, Rooney, Ireland and Bellamy....they'd not finish a single game without one of them getting sent off!
I know but imagine how fantastic that ten minutes before the first red card would be.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 5:40 am
you dewty owld maan!

I know but imagine how fantastic that ten minutes before the first red card would be.
or the first punch from one of them to another - LOL

training ground would be an interesting place too mind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.