Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The World Cup campaign kicks off

The World Cup campaign kicks off

Old Sep 7th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default The World Cup campaign kicks off

I see the real World Cup campaign kicks off this weekend.

England away to Moldova overnight, I can't see any coverage anywhere :-( and then home to Ukraine on tuesday.

Whereas NZ All Whites have begun away against the might of New Caledonia tonight with a 2-0 win, again no tv coverage.
Then it's the Solomon Islands in Auckland tuesday, might pop along, at least there is tv coverage of this one. So it's either watching it live or the pub.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:01 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The World Cup campaign kicks off

Struggling to find a f--k to give about this!
When part of the highlight includes Moldova, I'm afraid either Tony Hancock or Peter Sellers comes to mind!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
I see the real World Cup campaign kicks off this weekend.

England away to Moldova overnight, I can't see any coverage anywhere :-( and then home to Ukraine on tuesday.

www.wiziwig.tv - i managed to get a stream from ITV - clear as a bell

When my beloved Manchester United arent on the TV down here (which isnt that often. League cup and the odd champions league tie) I get on the net and pit it throught the tv. FA cup is on ESPN this season from 3rd round onwards too
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

In 4 years I have only seen 2 england games on tv (apart from the world cup finals)
I think england have specific broadcasting deals that prevent them being shown everywhere.

Great result against Moldova, yes they are an minor nation but 5-0 is a good start from an under strength squad
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Justcol
I think england have specific broadcasting deals that prevent them being shown everywhere.
or more like that Sky NZ dont show International football from europe outside of tournaments. And ESPN show a range of countries, very rarely England unfortunately. Not a problem. I get to watch em when I want
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:55 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The World Cup campaign kicks off

I don't think Moldova can tell you much.

The decimal odds of England winning the next world cup are currently...21.

New Zealand rate as 2501...so...
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:48 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

From my understanding, England games abroad are usually only shown if Sky have them. Sky provide worldwide coverage when world tournaments are on.

Whether Sky New Zealand will show any is another thing. Football is becoming more and more popular amongst the kids but there's absolutely buga all coverage. I think the game really needs to kick off in this country in order for this to happen. I would have thought New Zealands performance would have done this but apparently not.

I hope that New Zealand soon has a competitive league that might attract the Pheonix to play in the league instead of the Australian league. Hopefully in 5 perhaps 10 years, this will happen when football becomes a big sport here. As long as they attract the right mixture of players as well from abroad as well. I can't be doing with hearing star striker and Francis Jeffers ever again, or this season it might be leading midfield star and Nicholas Montgomery. My ears, my ears, my ears!!!!

But surely it's a positive not having England matches being shown live? Your ears must be relief not hearing Clive Tyldsleys commentary or the Leeds United band playing some stupid song every 20 seconds?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:16 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Have they changed bands?
It was always the Wednesday band when we left.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom1983
From my understanding, England games abroad are usually only shown if Sky have them. Sky provide worldwide coverage when world tournaments are on.
Sky UK dont provide worldwide coverage (legally). Skys territory is the UK and Ireland only - for EPL and FA Cup, League cup and they bid on home international teams be it home or away.

Thats not to say Sky UK isnt obtainable - One can get sky as far away as Cyprus (was based there for 3 years) with a 4.5metre dish if you have the box and card (jumped through a few hoops to get various sports channels during my team in cyprus - used to run a sports club with many satellite systems.................anyways.

The rights for England home games are sold by the FA to whoever wants to bid on them. If no-one down here wants it (which the TV companies dont) then it aint happening. Thank god ESPN are here even with Tommy smyth with a Y) as they show the odd england game (rare) champions league and theyre coming back with FA Cup after an absence of a couple of years (bar the semi and final).

Again the England away games rights are sold by the home country ie in this case Moldova. Nothing to do with Sky UK at all.

Saying that - you will hear commentators like Martin Tyler from time to time on EPL games because not only does he work for sky but also the company that produces the worldwide package of EPL games (TWI I think it is - Trans world international) .......that each country buys the rights to (SkyNZ for example). So when he's not doing Super sunday at 4pm , he'll do a saturday game for the premier league.

with the availability of t'internet though - its not a nightmare scenario.......unless you cant watch the game live