World Cup 2010

Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

v1cky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default World Cup 2010

Although I am not new to New Zealand (I have lived in Auckland for 3 years), this is the first World Cup that I will be here for, and the thought is making me pretty homesick!

I am used to watching the England matches in my local pup, cheering on the team with other fans. Does anybody know of any places that will be showing England games, where there is likely to be a bit of atmosphere?
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:21 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World Cup 2010

Originally Posted by v1cky View Post
Although I am not new to New Zealand (I have lived in Auckland for 3 years), this is the first World Cup that I will be here for, and the thought is making me pretty homesick!

I am used to watching the England matches in my local pup, cheering on the team with other fans. Does anybody know of any places that will be showing England games, where there is likely to be a bit of atmosphere?
I did some research and heres your answer...

The best place for any of us to watch the England games is...unfortunately...England...in a nice pub with a few pints and our mates...

Everything else will have to do but will still be second best...

Try this and go from there...maybe call the local footie club and ask them..

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/loca...arbricks-watch

p.s. Check out the recipe thread...cook up some good brit food, get the beer in, have your friends over and tune in the Satellite dish or whatever you have...
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:43 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Good question, and also what is the time difference between SA and NZ? Am I going to have to quaff Bolly at 5AM?
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I think SA is the as GMT. So the games are showing on sky I think at 1am and 5am. Not great drinking times for me, especially on a work day
Seems I'm talking out of my arse...some are at 8am ish too

Last edited by pricklykina; Jun 5th 2010 at 10:50 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Any time is a good drinking time
Old Jun 5th 2010, 10:51 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil View Post
Any time is a good drinking time
Seeing as I get Employee of the Month every month as well as Employer of the Month every month I can call myself and pull a sickie!
Old Jun 5th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/calendar.html

23.30, 2am and 6.30am are the kick offs
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:09 am
Just Joined

zappamax is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone mentioned Mad Dogs and Englishmen on the North Shore but I don't know if they'll be open or serving beer. Might be worth giving them a ring tho'.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Yeah the times are pretty awful. I think I've worked them out to be
England v USA 13th 0630
England v Algeria 19th 0630
England v Slovenia 24th 0200

I've seen an advert for http://www.thebluestoneroom.co.nz/default.aspx but dunno if they're showing all matches.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

foxes ale house will be showing them all too

http://www.foxsalehouse.co.nz/

I thin Ill be at home for the 1st round games and take it from there if England/NZ progress
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by zaras dad View Post
foxes ale house will be showing them all too

http://www.foxsalehouse.co.nz/

I thin Ill be at home for the 1st round games and take it from there if England/NZ progress
Thats a good call about fox's thanks. I think I'll be the same watching the first rounds at home through particular internet connections

Then as England progresses to win the cup I'll partake in Fox's hospitality
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by owen View Post
Thats a good call about fox's thanks. I think I'll be the same watching the first rounds at home through particular internet connections

Then as England progresses to win the cup I'll partake in Fox's hospitality
the majority of big games are on tvnz. have a look at their website
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zaras dad View Post
the majority of big games are on tvnz. have a look at their website
Oh Ok, but through the internet I can hook my laptop to our projector and have the game 2 metres wide!! That way I can pretend to be in a pub without the beer!!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

The Patriot in Devonport should be good 7am (30 min delay) Sunday morning a few of us will be going down (including a solitary Yank). Heard Fox's was decent for the Rugby