British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Working a UK contract while in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/working-uk-contract-while-nz-878237/)

bartholemues May 31st 2016 4:28 pm

Working a UK contract while in NZ

Hello All, hope everyone is having a good day! I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me with a few questions...

I'll be moving to NZ from the UK later this year. The company I am working for would like to retain my services as a contractor and I'm wondering if this would be possible and how the taxation would work. The company will likely insist that I work through a limited company or umbrella company as they won't deal with sole traders.

I can set up my own limited company if required. If I do so, can I then have the company pay my limited company pounds, then pay myself in $NZ from the company and just pay income tax in NZ as a contractor?

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice on how else contractual work for a UK company can be structured please? I have an existing NZ resident visa so that at least won't be a problem.

Thanks All!

Spacecake799 May 31st 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Working a UK contract while in NZ

Originally Posted by bartholemues (Post 11960895)
Hello All, hope everyone is having a good day! I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me with a few questions...

I'll be moving to NZ from the UK later this year. The company I am working for would like to retain my services as a contractor and I'm wondering if this would be possible and how the taxation would work. The company will likely insist that I work through a limited company or umbrella company as they won't deal with sole traders.

I can set up my own limited company if required. If I do so, can I then have the company pay my limited company pounds, then pay myself in $NZ from the company and just pay income tax in NZ as a contractor?

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice on how else contractual work for a UK company can be structured please? I have an existing NZ resident visa so that at least won't be a problem.

Thanks All!

Not totally helpful but when we left NZ three years ago my husband handed his notice in at work and became a contractor for them. He still works for them now.
They pay him in $ and he has set up his own company, its changed into pounds and he pays tax here.
I cant see it wouldnt work the other way.
Good luck

MrsFychan May 31st 2016 7:53 pm

have a read through this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...any-nz-827952/

bartholemues Jun 6th 2016 11:01 am

Thanks both.

I have read that thread and it does contain some useful info though nothing specific. It's good to know that others have been able to do this though. I guess I should speak to an accountant about the LTD company set up.

MarineboyNZ Aug 4th 2016 12:28 am

Hi there,
I do this. The company I worked for in the UK as an Accountant gave me a contract and I bill them in GBP each month. Money goes to my UK bank account and when I need funds I remit it to NZ. I have a NZ Look Through Company and I set this up myself via the NZ Companies house website (easy as) for $150 before I left the UK. Essentially you have protection of a Ltd company but your income is treated as being self employed.
I have filed my first company return and paid my first provisional tax. The NZ IRD allow you to do all of this as there is no issue billing in GBP for a NZ domiciled company. You simply use the FX rate for the 15th of the month following the month of your invoice for your NZ tax return. There is no issue with your UK “client” either and there is no NZ GST or UK Vat to pay, but you will need to account for it as a zero rated NZ supply.
Additionally, the above has assisted with me gaining an NZ mortgage as there is transparency for the bank.
Hope it all makes sense.