British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Working in OZ with NZ Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/working-oz-nz-visa-480994/)

mistran Sep 13th 2007 8:52 pm

Working in OZ with NZ Visa

Hi, I'm looking for work as an Oracle Apps System administrator or support analyst, but I'm absolutely amazed at the lack of jobs in this field in NZ compared to OZ. Does anyone know if I can work as a contractor in OZ with an NZ permanent residence visa??:confused_smile:

Beachcombers Sep 13th 2007 9:29 pm

Re: Working in OZ with NZ Visa

Nope, you will have to apply for a work permit for OZ.

But Australian PR holders can live and work here apparently. Not fair, eh! :mad:

happynz Sep 13th 2007 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mistran (Post 5308602)
Hi, I'm looking for work as an Oracle Apps System administrator or support analyst, but I'm absolutely amazed at the lack of jobs in this field in NZ compared to OZ. Does anyone know if I can work as a contractor in OZ with an NZ permanent residence visa??:confused_smile:

The fact that you may have New Zealand Permanent Residency will be no help whatsoever in getting you legally approved work in Australia. New Zealand PR on its own won't work as a back-door route into Australia. You would need to be a Kiwi passport holder to do that. To obtain Kiwi citizenship you now have to have five years of permanent residency before applying for becoming a New Zealand citizen.
Perhaps you can find an Australian company to sponsor you for your desired position.

tallpaul2uk Sep 14th 2007 2:17 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5308722)
The fact that you may have New Zealand Permanent Residency will be no help whatsoever in getting you legally approved work in Australia. New Zealand PR on its own won't work as a back-door route into Australia. You would need to be a Kiwi passport holder to do that. To obtain Kiwi citizenship you now have to have five years of permanent residency before applying for becoming a New Zealand citizen.
Perhaps you can find an Australian company to sponsor you for your desired position.

Is it definitely 5 years in NZ before you can apply for a NZ passport. A little birdy told me it was considerably less than this?

Equally, if you were to marry a kwi, could you then appy for a NZ passport (citizenship) straight away. I assume NZ passport and Citizenship are one of the same?

Maz Sep 14th 2007 2:19 am

5 years after you get PR, you may apply for citizenship. Once a citizen, you may apply for a passport.

happynz Sep 14th 2007 3:42 am

Originally Posted by tallpaul2uk (Post 5309365)
Is it definitely 5 years in NZ before you can apply for a NZ passport. A little birdy told me it was considerably less than this?

It is three years for those who were granted PR before 20 September 2005. It also was the case that time spent in country whether as a student, temp worker etc. counted towards the three year total. However, with immigration reform that is no longer the case. Now, the clock starts ticking from the time you are given PR.
However, I have heard and I am willing to be corrected if I've heard incorrectly, that if you have PR and go into the New Zealand military your citizenship is fast-tracked because New Zealand can only send it's citizens overseas on deployments.

Originally Posted by tallpaul2uk (Post 5309365)
Equally, if you were to marry a kiwi, could you then apply for a NZ passport (citizenship) straight away. I assume NZ passport and Citizenship are one of the same?

No, I don't think marrying a Kiwi is going to get you that passport any quicker.
Passports are given to citizens who apply. You can be a citizen and never get a passport if you don't want one nor plan to travel outside the country. I've read somewhere that three-quarters of USA citizens don't have passports.

Excellent questions...:)

Beachcombers Sep 14th 2007 3:52 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5309561)
I've read somewhere that three-quarters of USA citizens don't have passports.

Do you reckon GWB has to carry his passport, when ever he goes overseas?

Got the picture in my mind, of him arguing over the duty free allowances and if he is allowed to bring a bottle of scotch on AF-1?:unsure:

happynz Sep 14th 2007 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Beachcombers (Post 5309586)
Do you reckon GWB has to carry his passport, when ever he goes overseas?

Got the picture in my mind, of him arguing over the duty free allowances and if he is allowed to bring a bottle of scotch on AF-1?:unsure:

:lol: Gawd, I detest that mob in DC.

I_Will_Freckle Sep 14th 2007 7:48 am

I may be wrong in this but... if you can be employed by a NZ company, they could then send you to do contracts in Oz (or any other country) as a NZ employee. You wouldn't be able to live there indefinitely but you may be able to find someone willing to sponsor you.

ex_exile Sep 14th 2007 8:17 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5309561)
It is three years for those who were granted PR before 20 September 2005. It also was the case that time spent in country whether as a student, temp worker etc. counted towards the three year total. However, with immigration reform that is no longer the case. Now, the clock starts ticking from the time you are given PR.
However, I have heard and I am willing to be corrected if I've heard incorrectly, that if you have PR and go into the New Zealand military your citizenship is fast-tracked because New Zealand can only send it's citizens overseas on deployments.

Hi, your dates are slightly off.

The actual dates are.. you needed to have applied for or have been granted PR by 21st April 2005, in which case you could apply to be a citizen after 3 years lawful residence in NZ; if after that date it is 5 years PR (bit of a difference huh).

Dont know about citizenship fast track on joining the NZ millitary but there is a waiver on joining the Australian military that makes PR's elligible to become citizens after 90 days service (130 Days in reserves)