Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

working in new zealand

working in new zealand

Old Jul 28th 2004, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

stuart kidd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working in new zealand

i would like to go and work in New Zealand for about a year.

i have looked at the NZ immigration website and am a bit dispirited as I have no degree / professional qualification and this means i can get nowhere near the 140 points that seem to be required to get a work visa, even with a job offer.

if i arrive in nz without a job or a work visa, will i be able to find work and then get a visa? am i able to do menial work with no visa?

any info much appreciated.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in new zealand

Originally posted by stuart kidd
i would like to go and work in New Zealand for about a year.

i have looked at the NZ immigration website and am a bit dispirited as I have no degree / professional qualification and this means i can get nowhere near the 140 points that seem to be required to get a work visa, even with a job offer.

if i arrive in nz without a job or a work visa, will i be able to find work and then get a visa? am i able to do menial work with no visa?

If it's only for a year, you're under 30, and you've never had one before - why don't you just get a Working Holiday Visa? No qualifications required.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 6:59 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: working in new zealand

Originally posted by stuart kidd

In short, probably yes, but you DO need a visa. Ie if you get an appropriate job offer in NZ (ie it complies with the rules on www.immigration.govt.nz), then it would be perfectly straightforward to get a work visa whilst in NZ.

Just don't advertise the fact that you are job-hunting at NZ Immigration, they are still a bit touchy about this even though what you suggest doing is perfectly legal.

And there's low unemployment in NZ at present.