Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Working near to the University...Where to live?

Working near to the University...Where to live?

Old Sep 15th 2012, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all
Default Re: Working near to the University...Where to live?

Originally Posted by qssue
Thank you, it is all a bit chicken and egg in a way and I am probably more worried about getting the schooling wrong! My kids are 3 and 7, the 7 year old is very bright and I do not want the move to jeopordize her education, I want her life enhanced! We visited in July, but we were there only a short time, so it was difficult to get a feel for anywhere. Looking on maps and on realestate NZ website is just throwing me into a fit of sheer panic. Perhaps I need to chill abit and go with the flow ...... no, on second thoughts, I need to get things sorted in a control freak kind of way!!!
All very daunting
Hi, I would recommend Mission Bay, www.missionbay.co.nz or Kohimarama. Both nice beach suburbs with Eastridge shopping centre, lots of cafes, restaurants, cinema, medical & dental etc

Kohimarama School (you can search it on the web) has excellent reputation. Chhildren start school at 5 years. Mission Bay has kindergarden.

I used to drive to University of Auckland in 20 -30 minutes from Mission Bay.

For rental or house sales look at www.trademe,co.nz
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Working near to the University...Where to live?

you may also need to consider the next school as well the reason I was put off eastern suburbs was the secondary education was not deemed to be good and house prices are expensive, I suggest you take your time schools are on wind down from November on, they are relaxed here about children not being in scholl not like the UK. Come over and get a feel visit many areas, get the book as I said before and visist many schools they all have a different feel
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:57 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working near to the University...Where to live?

Originally Posted by qssue
Thank you, it is all a bit chicken and egg in a way and I am probably more worried about getting the schooling wrong! My kids are 3 and 7, the 7 year old is very bright and I do not want the move to jeopordize her education, I want her life enhanced! We visited in July, but we were there only a short time, so it was difficult to get a feel for anywhere. Looking on maps and on realestate NZ website is just throwing me into a fit of sheer panic. Perhaps I need to chill abit and go with the flow ...... no, on second thoughts, I need to get things sorted in a control freak kind of way!!!
All very daunting
I can empathise with your desire to prioritise the schooling, it can be so hit and miss when you first arrive in a new country. Getting used to the curriculum in New Zealand can be a bit of a stretch for bright kids and there is far too much emphasis on physical rec IMO. If you don't get it right your daughter will soon get bored and will complain of revisiting old ground. It may be hard to re-engage her as she grows older.

If you can afford it I recommend you also investigate private schools, there are some good ones in Auckland. May I suggest that you start with these resources and take it from there.

http://www.giftedchildren.org.nz/links.php

http://www.giftedchildren.org.nz/forum/list.php?f=3

Once you've got her settled you can think about where you want to live.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Sep 19th 2012 at 4:00 am. Reason: added another link