Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Working from Home-Travel agent/Consultant

Working from Home-Travel agent/Consultant

Old May 19th 2007, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

scunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nicescunnybunny is just really nice
Default Working from Home-Travel agent/Consultant

Hi
At present i teach travel and tourism in the UK and I am hoping to do the same in New Zealand or sell holidays from home. I am IATA trained and have taught Air Fares and Ticketing, ABTAC Advanced and other NVQ/ City and Guilds courses.

Does anyone know of any companies I can contact to work from home, selling holidays? Do they do that in New Zealand?

Alternatively if you could recommend any companies I could apply to, for work it would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Donna
Old May 19th 2007, 5:16 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Working from Home-Travel agent/Consultant

It shouldn't be too hard to get a job teaching Travel & Tourism with a Private Tertiary Enterprise (PTE). There are heaps of these schools in the major population centres. Expect pay in the low 30k to 40k/annum.
Old May 19th 2007, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scunnybunny
Hi
At present i teach travel and tourism in the UK and I am hoping to do the same in New Zealand or sell holidays from home. I am IATA trained and have taught Air Fares and Ticketing, ABTAC Advanced and other NVQ/ City and Guilds courses.

Does anyone know of any companies I can contact to work from home, selling holidays? Do they do that in New Zealand?

Alternatively if you could recommend any companies I could apply to, for work it would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Donna
Hi,
try flightcentre...they are a major travel company over here and have a career spot on their website.
Debbie
Old May 27th 2007, 7:44 am
Just Joined

braithers will become famous soon enoughbraithers will become famous soon enough

Hi Donna,

I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread but I also work in travel and heading to NZ in January.

As you are the first person I have seen on these forums from a travel industry background I was wondering how you would feel about keeping in touch so we can share information?

Cheers
Ian
Old May 27th 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scunnybunny
Hi

Kind Regards
Donna
Hi donna

I worked for Thomas Cook for 8 years prior to coming to NZ (left about 6 months before we came out to go work in a call centre...had enough of TC politics, but thats a whole other story) so I looked at travel jobs here, I applied for flight centre, now they offer a guaranteed salary of $40,000 for the first year but basic after that is $25,000 plus commision, and they ask you to do a 50 hour week minimum, which to me was a lot of hours for not so much money, particularly after the first year, that was going back to the salary I earnerd about 8 or so years ago so wasnt prepared to do that, Air NZ in their call centre was a basic salary of $30,000 pa plus commision (i am thinking back to a year ago now so it might be a bit different now) hours could of been between 6am and midnight subject to shift pattern, and either based in Takapuna or in Auckland CBD

Now I will say I opted not to do a travel job here as the pay wasnt that great as a minimum and the hours also sucked a bit and at the time had no car so was reliant on public transport

I now do a job working in a call centre , nice job Monday to Friday 830 till 5pm and the pay although not great does me just fine.

hope this helps abit

Dawn

Ps Sarah B also worked for Thomas cook prior to move here but she isnt working due to baby reasons, not sure if she looked at jobs when she got here in travel or otherwise

PPS another add on, not sure if they do the work from home travel thing like they do in the UK, cant say I have ever seen it advertised, but as someone else said there is huge demand for travel and tourism schools here, teaching could be an option for you

Last edited by kwprwn; May 27th 2007 at 10:32 pm. Reason: added a bit