Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Visa - Previous hospital stay and diagnosis of Aspergers

Working Holiday Visa - Previous hospital stay and diagnosis of Aspergers

Old Apr 4th 2018, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Macherry94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday Visa - Previous hospital stay and diagnosis of Aspergers

Hi,

It's a bit long winded but if you could give me any advise or ease any of my worry I would be extremely grateful.

I'm in the process of trying to get a working holiday visa and have had a bit of a stumble as I am diagnosed with Aspergers and had a psychiatric hospital admission 4 years ago 2014 relating to depression.

I was 19 when I was in hospital but have since been to university to student mental health nursing(left early) but I have evidence from the uni that I studied MH Nursing for 7 months. And a qualification through the open uni in mental health and an access course where I learned about depression etc etc a LOT has changed.

I have written a 2 page personal statement explaining the stay and my mental health history, my situation, including photographs of all my certificates but the doctor I saw for my immigration has said he can't send it to them himself as they have codes or something. I was wondering where to send the information to? And if it's worth it or just wait to see if they ask?

Lastly my information was all sent today which was just my discharge report from hospital in 2014 and letter from a psychiatrist I saw last week to get the all clear which I'm not sure is enough.

I saw an Aspergers psychologist yesterday to assess me and write another report but she said it would take 2 weeks. My deadline for sending my medical is in 2 days. Is it possible to send information late?

When with the Medical Assessor (which I think it will definitely go to) how long do you think it will take?

Can I appeal. I am declined?

I know it's a bit of a complex situation but looking at what they want, it's nobody who will drain their healthcare system which I believe I can evidence I won't as I haven't in the UK. And nothing that could cost more that $41'000. and nothing that has requires hospital treatment or support in the last 2 years, my hospital stay was 4 years ago and it is only the one.

The letter from my psychiatrist which included the following....

Her situation had turned around remarkably. She was living independently away from family members. She had started to attend church, she had made a group of friends and she had also unexpectedly made contact with a male cousin whose mother lives in New Zealand. Miss ****** now wishes to travel to New Zealand for a holiday and would like to stay for up to two years.
Miss ****** reported no symptoms of depression whatsoever, she is not prescribed medication (has not been for over two years) and her presentation was very appropriate and her mood euthymic. She reported no thoughts of deliberate self-harm or suicide and has not experienced these since 2014.

I have no hesitation in declaring Miss ****** fit to travel to New Zealand for a holiday. She will be living with her aunt whilst there. I believe that it will be a life-enhancing experience for her. I think it is unlikely that her condition will destabilise whilst abroad.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like any further information.

Regarding the Aspergers, I was diagnosed when I was 20. Talking to me you wouldn't notice, I went to a normal school, I've worked as a healthcare assistant, not recieved any support or care for it whatsoever.

Thanks
Cherry
Old Apr 5th 2018, 8:21 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa - Previous hospital stay and diagnosis of Aspergers

Hi Cherry,

So you have applied for a 23month visa already? is it possible to apply for the 12mth one then reapply if you want to stay longer. on the 23month one you can only work for 12months so if you are not planning on actually holidaying for 12months then the 12month one will maybe work for you
Old Apr 5th 2018, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Macherry94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa - Previous hospital stay and diagnosis of Aspergers

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Hi Cherry,

So you have applied for a 23month visa already? is it possible to apply for the 12mth one then reapply if you want to stay longer. on the 23month one you can only work for 12months so if you are not planning on actually holidaying for 12months then the 12month one will maybe work for you
Yeahh, it may have been wiser to have applied for a 12 month visa and then got an extension whilst out there to avoid the medical but I'm not going to be working I have savings and I will be living with my Auntie and hope to just holiday and enjoy life for a couple of years 😊
Old Apr 6th 2018, 4:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

so you are having to do the medical, you can only get this done by the approved medical centres which there are only 9 in the whole of the country, have you had this done?.

The other medical stuff you have already gathered I would assume would be additional information on top of the approved medical. This will aid on the process of referral to have in in the application at the start. It will go to referral I am assuming as these type of things do with a longer term visa.

So I guess gather everything you have and send it all off with the application, the referral GP may just read the already available assessments you will have provided and make a decision based on that or they may require some more information. Until you have the application in no one can say which way it will go.