Reload this Page >

Working Holiday Visa

Working Holiday Visa

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

ethnicstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday Visa

Hi,
I am a UK Citizen and have recently Graduated from University with a Degree within Computing BSc (Hons) and currently gaining experience in a Web Design/Developer role for a marketing agency, also I have 5 Years Retail experience for a Global Company now am looking to come New Zealand for 6 Months to a Year.
Also I am attending a conference within finding work in New Zealand and I have been researching constantly on the Cost Of Living , Employment Opportunities , places to visit and it looks amazing. Being Black British I know every country has a form of Racism but my main concerns are:

Is New Zealand racist towards people of Black Origin or Other?

Junior Job opportunities within Web Development or Digital Roles?

Finding Apartments to live within Auckland or Wellington?

Cost of travel such as Bus / Trains etc?

any information would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Holiday Visa

The kiwi's seem to have the biggest chip on their shoulders about asains (chinese) but to be honest most kiwi's are amazingly friendly, there's the odd ignorant kiwi pillock knocking around but they'll probably be giving you more stick for being a 'pommy b-----d' than anything else. Nothing to worry about pal.

My mate is over here on a WHV after leaving Uni, he's not had a problem finding well paid work in his field of expertise, wherever he's been he's found work. Unlike the UK there's stacks of jobs here, and I know they (kiwi's) don't like to admit it but they love employing us Brits, we seem to have stronger work ethics and they know it.

This won't be a problem, if you've rented property in the UK before get a reference from your landlord.

I used the trains in Auckland and although the system is, lets says a little old fashioned, the prices were spot on. And due to the ancient ticketing systems a lot of the time you don't even pay.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 8:55 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ethnicstar and welcome!

I can't really help you out with accommodation as I know more about Christchurch. Same with public transport!

I can give you more of an insight as my partner is looking for IT jobs at the moment whilst in the UK. You might be best contacting IT agencies in NZ to see if they can give you more info on how your skills will fit into the market. Also www.seek.co.nz is good for IT jobs, www.trademe.co.nz and Absolute IT. There are many more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

You may want to think about making sure your CV is more suited to applying for jobs in NZ. The format is different so check out the thread on CV writing for NZ.

Also I'm not sure where you are based but London has living in NZ expo's. I went to one the other night by Absolute IT and it was great. There was info about visas, moving companies, banks etc. It could be worth googling it to find out if there are any coming up in London or other big cities.

As for the racism, I didn't see it to be honest. Other people may have different opinions but I can safely say I didn't find it to be a problem and don't let your worry of it put you off going. There are many people from all walks of life in NZ - Pom's, Indians, Malaysians etc just like the UK. You may find this more so in Auckland, it seems more multi cultural there.

I was in NZ over Christmas 2011, only the south island and had an amazing time. My partner and I came back to the UK with a view of going back over when feasible, which will probably be April/May 2013. The scenery is jaw dropping, lots to see and do and the weather was beautiful when we were there!
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for replying back you have put my mind at ease and I been trying to research on New Zealand and it has been a little difficult but I appreciate the feedback and wish you all the best

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi ethnicstar and welcome!

I can't really help you out with accommodation as I know more about Christchurch. Same with public transport!

I can give you more of an insight as my partner is looking for IT jobs at the moment whilst in the UK. You might be best contacting IT agencies in NZ to see if they can give you more info on how your skills will fit into the market. Also www.seek.co.nz is good for IT jobs, www.trademe.co.nz and Absolute IT. There are many more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

You may want to think about making sure your CV is more suited to applying for jobs in NZ. The format is different so check out the thread on CV writing for NZ.

Also I'm not sure where you are based but London has living in NZ expo's. I went to one the other night by Absolute IT and it was great. There was info about visas, moving companies, banks etc. It could be worth googling it to find out if there are any coming up in London or other big cities.

As for the racism, I didn't see it to be honest. Other people may have different opinions but I can safely say I didn't find it to be a problem and don't let your worry of it put you off going. There are many people from all walks of life in NZ - Pom's, Indians, Malaysians etc just like the UK. You may find this more so in Auckland, it seems more multi cultural there.

I was in NZ over Christmas 2011, only the south island and had an amazing time. My partner and I came back to the UK with a view of going back over when feasible, which will probably be April/May 2013. The scenery is jaw dropping, lots to see and do and the weather was beautiful when we were there!
thank you for your feedback it is really helpful

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 7th 2012 at 10:44 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
The kiwi's seem to have the biggest chip on their shoulders about asains (chinese) but to be honest most kiwi's are amazingly friendly, there's the odd ignorant kiwi pillock knocking around but they'll probably be giving you more stick for being a 'pommy b-----d' than anything else. Nothing to worry about pal.

My mate is over here on a WHV after leaving Uni, he's not had a problem finding well paid work in his field of expertise, wherever he's been he's found work. Unlike the UK there's stacks of jobs here, and I know they (kiwi's) don't like to admit it but they love employing us Brits, we seem to have stronger work ethics and they know it.

This won't be a problem, if you've rented property in the UK before get a reference from your landlord.

I used the trains in Auckland and although the system is, lets says a little old fashioned, the prices were spot on. And due to the ancient ticketing systems a lot of the time you don't even pay.
Barnsleymat has it pretty spot on. Plenty of accommodation in auckland and wellington and they are the best places to look for the kind of work that you would be after. New Zealand is much smaller than you can realise and its not really till you get over here that you get it. There arent the same opportunities here as in the UK in the smaller cities and towns. Not to say that there aren't jobs - its just not the same.

Most people do flatshares here - its the "done thing" to go flatting and very normal - it can also be very transient - people set up houses and some are more stable than others with flatties coming and going. It seems to be the norm for people to move around a bit from house to house. Most places are unfurnished so you will need to buy at least a bed! If you rent a place yourself - i'm 99% sure it will be unfurnished - even down to the fridge and washing machine. most places come only with the oven. if you are here on a WHV it probably won't suit you, appliances and furniture doesn't come cheap, even 2nd hand, best to look for flatshares.

Trade Me is a great website to look at flatting options.

Trains - i don't use them much as they dont suit me - are too infrequent and it takes longer for me to train it to work than it does to drive. The ticketing system has changed now and not so easy to not pay. Buses in Auckland have improved massively since the RWC - but its really good to have a car here.

GOOD LUCK!
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
Barnsleymat has it pretty spot on. Plenty of accommodation in auckland and wellington and they are the best places to look for the kind of work that you would be after. New Zealand is much smaller than you can realise and its not really till you get over here that you get it. There arent the same opportunities here as in the UK in the smaller cities and towns. Not to say that there aren't jobs - its just not the same.

Most people do flatshares here - its the "done thing" to go flatting and very normal - it can also be very transient - people set up houses and some are more stable than others with flatties coming and going. It seems to be the norm for people to move around a bit from house to house. Most places are unfurnished so you will need to buy at least a bed! If you rent a place yourself - i'm 99% sure it will be unfurnished - even down to the fridge and washing machine. most places come only with the oven. if you are here on a WHV it probably won't suit you, appliances and furniture doesn't come cheap, even 2nd hand, best to look for flatshares.

Trade Me is a great website to look at flatting options.

Trains - i don't use them much as they dont suit me - are too infrequent and it takes longer for me to train it to work than it does to drive. The ticketing system has changed now and not so easy to not pay. Buses in Auckland have improved massively since the RWC - but its really good to have a car here.

GOOD LUCK!
Thank You for the advice :-)