Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Working Holiday taking car

Working Holiday taking car

Old Mar 25th 2019, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Jamious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working Holiday taking car

I plan on going to New Zealand for 23 months on WHV having Canadian citizenship means I can work for the full period
I would like to take my car down from the UK.
I also would like to find a route to stay permanently without getting married. I don't have a degree but I know you can study in new Zealand.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Jamious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working Holiday taking car

I am dual Canadian/British citizen currently living in Canada.
I want to go to New Zealand on a working Holiday Visa.
For 23 months.
I own a car in the UK I want to take to new Zealand. Can this be done.

I want to find route to stay permanently in New Zealand.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is barely worth the cost and effort required to bring a car on a permanent basis, far less on a temporary basis. Unless your car is something real special and irreplaceable then I can't imagine why you would.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamious
I plan on going to New Zealand for 23 months on WHV having Canadian citizenship means I can work for the full period
I would like to take my car down from the UK.
I also would like to find a route to stay permanently without getting married. I don't have a degree but I know you can study in new Zealand.
How can you possibly work for the full period of the visa ?
You will only be getting one WHV and since you are in the UK I expect you'll be getting a WHV from the UK which means you can only work for a TOTAL period of 12 months on the 23 month WHV. You don't and won't have any WHV or any other visa associated with your Canadian passport and you won't be able to get a Canadian WHV since you won't be in Canada when you apply. I very much doubt you'll be able to work longer than the 12 months or you would be in breach of your visa conditions.......not recommended and not a good start if you want to stay longer.

Insane idea taking your UK car. A complete waste of £2k export & shipping fees and cash you'll never make back. It's also a red tape nightmare getting a letter of compliance from the manufacturer, proving you've owned it longer than 12 months, paying to have it steam cleaned etc. You could be lining yourself up for a huge bill this end if it doesn't get compliance and NZTA refuse to allow it on the road.....There's no guarantee. Must be clean within an inch of its life all over, inside wheel arches, underbody, engine bay etc and zero rust. Even surface rust will get it a fail meaning you'll have to pay to have it fixed just to get it through Compliance and since you can't drive it you'd also have to pay for transport. I wouldn't recommend anyone bring a vehicle here unless it is a classic or worth a fortune. Just not worth it.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
How can you possibly work for the full period of the visa ?
You will only be getting one WHV and since you are in the UK I expect you'll be getting a WHV from the UK which means you can only work for a TOTAL period of 12 months on the 23 month WHV. You don't and won't have any WHV or any other visa associated with your Canadian passport and you won't be able to get a Canadian WHV since you won't be in Canada when you apply.
It's quite clear from the OPs post that he/she is in Canada

Originally Posted by Jamious
I am dual Canadian/British citizen currently living in Canada.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Oops completely missed that point
Sorry to the OP.
So yes if you go for a WHV from Canada you can work for the full 23 months.
Doesn't change my mind about the UK car though 😉
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:30 pm
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree, brought a motorbike.......nothing but drama's from Go, to whoa
Old Mar 28th 2019, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot envisage any circumstances where the cost of importing your own car to New Zealand can be considered worthwhile.

Having said that, if you move to Auckland then you can expect to spend several hours every day sitting that car so you will want a nice one.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 3:12 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
I cannot envisage any circumstances where the cost of importing your own car to New Zealand can be considered worthwhile.