Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Working as a counsellor anyone?

Working as a counsellor anyone?

Old Jan 9th 2016, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

geo83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Working as a counsellor anyone?

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to the site, so hi from me, and thanks for any help you can offer!

Im hoping to come out to NZ (from the UK) this year with my family, Im a counsellor which is on the skilled list and so, with a job offer, I could get a skilled migrant visa. Trouble is counsellor vacancies seem very few and far between!! Has anyone else moved out as a counsellor? I'm wondering if you found it easy to find work or whether it took a while? Or if anyone has any suggestions of places to find work besides trade me and seek!

Thanks all!
Old Jan 10th 2016, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of
Default Re: Working as a counsellor anyone?

Hi Geo, I think it depends on where you will be based and what field you work in, there are a few NGO's that have counsellors, but a lot of people work in private practice and hire a room, most charge around 130 dollars, you could also look at family works, or home and family, the women's centre ect most of the schools hire counsellors also, but I think you have to have a teaching background, or if AOD is your field then their are places like CADS, AA ect. have you looked at the DHB websites, kiwi health jobs, trade me and seek? Also worth looking at the registration board where some people list their agencies that they work for. good luck with your search. Jax
Old Jan 13th 2016, 7:52 am
Just Joined

gingerninga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working as a counsellor anyone?

Hi, we're planning to move to NZ later in 2016. I have systemic psychotherapy qualifications (ie family therapy) and am also a qualified psych nurse. However, I didn't think it would work to set up to provide therapy in a culture, I had not yet acclimatised to. Context and culture are such a huge part of the healing journey.
I've also heard that jobs in NZ can be hard to come by if you don't have experience of New Zealand. That NZ employers highly prize NZ work experience. I've read on here (and other forums) that some migrants have been unemployed for a year+ (despite being on the skills list), which would be hugely demoralising.

If I was going to go back into the therapeutic community once I was in NZ, I would almost certainly start as a volunteer, just to start out. I think it would help the ultimate goal of getting a job. . Maybe a few months of volunteer work would A. help you acclimatise to NZ B. make you more appealing as a potential employee and C. lead to you being a better counsellor to a Kiwi?