Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Working as a Classroom Assistant

Working as a Classroom Assistant

Old Jan 24th 2014, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice
Default Re: Working as a Classroom Assistant

In Auckland it could be manageable. It would really depend on where you were and where/when you wanted to go. You might have to take more than one bus/train or a combination of both

http://www.maxx.co.nz/

This is the bus/train company.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

I work as a classroom assistant and I hate to say it but your quals will prob not be recognised, mine are not. Also unlike the UK, I am paid literally for the hours in the class. Recently I had to take kids for a trip, overtime and I kid you not they paid me for 1 hour 58 mins. Will I go back this year, prob not. last year I got punched and spat at, left with a black eye and they complained when I asked for a refund for the x-Ray to make sure my eye socket was not fractured. I got paid $17 an hour. I could earn more working in a shop. I also work in mental health an addiction, also badly paid. Sadly NZ does not pay well or recognise the work done by people supporting the community. Good luck but it pays to do your research. Kaz
Old Jan 26th 2014, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

JulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babybella
I work as a classroom assistant and I hate to say it but your quals will prob not be recognised, mine are not. Also unlike the UK, I am paid literally for the hours in the class. Recently I had to take kids for a trip, overtime and I kid you not they paid me for 1 hour 58 mins. Will I go back this year, prob not. last year I got punched and spat at, left with a black eye and they complained when I asked for a refund for the x-Ray to make sure my eye socket was not fractured. I got paid $17 an hour. I could earn more working in a shop. I also work in mental health an addiction, also badly paid. Sadly NZ does not pay well or recognise the work done by people supporting the community. Good luck but it pays to do your research. Kaz

What country did you get your qualifications from? Just I was speaking with the careers advisor in my college on Friday, and he said that as my qualifications are recognised within the "UK" and my TEFL certificate is EU recognised and NZ is in the common wealth that I would definley be-able to apply for jobs yey iv heard about the pay system, tbh am happy enough doing any kind of work, its just i want to know all the facts before we'd be leaving home. The college are getting me sorted with an identity card with shows that right up ontil my departure I am vetted. how much will it cost to get it updated for NZ?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Julie.
Your UK qual will not be held in any regard here regardless of what you have been told by the careers adviser. Makes no odds if NZ is in the commonwealth or not.

If you do find a classroom job , the school will sort out the paperwork and necessary checks for you.

Anyone can apply for a classroom assistant position here & get the work if the face fits . Often these part time positions are filled very quickly by word of mouth . Friends of friends etc.

I've done a bit of this work. It was offered because I knew someone who was working at the school. They mentioned I had worked with Asperger boys in the past, so it was thought I would be fine to help in a class that had a special needs lad within it. Nothing at all to do with Autism/Asperger but heck.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

JulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Julie.
Your UK qual will not be held in any regard here regardless of what you have been told by the careers adviser. Makes no odds if NZ is in the commonwealth or not.

If you do find a classroom job , the school will sort out the paperwork and necessary checks for you.

Anyone can apply for a classroom assistant position here & get the work if the face fits . Often these part time positions are filled very quickly by word of mouth . Friends of friends etc.

I've done a bit of this work. It was offered because I knew someone who was working at the school. They mentioned I had worked with Asperger boys in the past, so it was thought I would be fine to help in a class that had a special needs lad within it. Nothing at all to do with Autism/Asperger but heck.

Aye iv been getting mixed messages about my qualifications. is it really just down to word of mouth and your background? See here you cant get in the door unless your qualified. Am not saying I don't believe you btw, am just shocked. My careers adviser seemed fairly confident, as he's made arrangements for several students including his two sons, from my college that were going to NZ since the start of the year, and they all had interviews lined up upon arrival. Is there any NZ sites that list jobs. more if a local known site?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:25 pm
`

NZ is not the UK. It has it's own way of being and yes, the jobs often go via word of mouth. Often to parents who have a child at the school.

Please look HERE

You may be able to have your overseas quals assessed towards an NZ diploma and then study to gain the NZ qual.

Maybe some employers in large city schools would prefer a TA with NZ quals - I wouldn't know - but it is very true to say that many of these part time jobs go to folk that the school already know and so know the family, the kids and therefore the kids in the class know them.

There are no specific requirements to become a teacher aide, but a relevant qualification such as a certificate in teacher aiding or diploma in education support, and relevant experience, may be preferred by employers.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 27th 2014 at 9:29 pm. Reason: forgot blummin' quote
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:27 pm
`

Look. You really won't know the lay of the land until you have settled in whichever area you come to. Much will depend on that and who the school wants as TA's within their classrooms.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:35 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulieDoire
Aye iv been getting mixed messages about my qualifications. is it really just down to word of mouth and your background? See here you cant get in the door unless your qualified. Am not saying I don't believe you btw, am just shocked. My careers adviser seemed fairly confident, as he's made arrangements for several students including his two sons, from my college that were going to NZ since the start of the year, and they all had interviews lined up upon arrival. Is there any NZ sites that list jobs. more if a local known site?
I trained in counselling and psychology for 5 years at university and have not been able to get a job in my field. I have lost count of the number of jobs I have applied for. I have managed to get a job offering emotional support in a homeless shelter 1 evening per week. I did not need my degree for that job. I'm afraid it is about who you know and not what you know. They don't seem to take any notice of my qualifications. I was assured from the Uni that NZ would recognise them. I did all of my studying and training in England.

If your happy whatever you do then this is fine. If you want to further your career then it may be more of a struggle moving here.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
NZ is not the UK. It has it's own way of being and yes, the jobs often go via word of mouth. Often to parents who have a child at the school.

Please look HERE

You may be able to have your overseas quals assessed towards an NZ diploma and then study to gain the NZ qual.

Maybe some employers in large city schools would prefer a TA with NZ quals - I wouldn't know - but it is very true to say that many of these part time jobs go to folk that the school already know and so know the family, the kids and therefore the kids in the class know them.
Thanks for the link, looks interesting, having a read at it now. Awk iv been doing this qual for the last 2yrs here so wouldn't be interested in doing another course. Iv done enough CW over the last few weeks to do me a life time lol so if a job comes up, great, and if not, if you happen to see a lovely looking Irish girl with a Donegal accent serving in a cafe or restaurant.. that's me haha
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I trained in counselling and psychology for 5 years at university and have not been able to get a job in my field. I have lost count of the number of jobs I have applied for. I have managed to get a job offering emotional support in a homeless shelter 1 evening per week. I did not need my degree for that job. I'm afraid it is about who you know and not what you know. They don't seem to take any notice of my qualifications. I was assured from the Uni that NZ would recognise them. I did all of my studying and training in England.

If your happy whatever you do then this is fine. If you want to further your career then it may be more of a struggle moving here.

Aw thats offal! all that work for no1 to pay any heid to it! Where abouts are you living? how do you find life there overall? Like i said, am happy to do any work, I love the cafe work i do atm, so that or bar work would be great to. I just wana know where i stand with the HND iv got, whether itd be worth my time even applying for TA jobs
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:26 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Aw thats offal! all that work for no1 to pay any heid to it! Where abouts are you living? how do you find life there overall? Like i said, am happy to do any work, I love the cafe work i do atm, so that or bar work would be great to. I just wana know where i stand with the HND iv got, whether itd be worth my time even applying for TA jobs
If I were you I would definatly apply for TA jobs. Keep trying to. Maybe offering to help out at a school for free in your spare time may help you get noticed. If the school in your area knows you first it may help you.

We are living in Glendowie, Auckland. Financially were not doing good. The country is beautiful and every day I discover something I really like about NZ. But unfortunatly we are fed up of struggling and so are leaving to go back home in April. But don't let that put you off. Everyone is different and every situation is different to. It's been a great life experience for us as a family, good and bad. If you don't try you'll never know.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

If I were you I would definatly apply for TA jobs. Keep trying to. Maybe offering to help out at a school for free in your spare time may help you get noticed. If the school in your area knows you first it may help you.

We are living in Glendowie, Auckland. Financially were not doing good. The country is beautiful and every day I discover something I really like about NZ. But unfortunatly we are fed up of struggling and so are leaving to go back home in April. But don't let that put you off. Everyone is different and every situation is different to. It's been a great life experience for us as a family, good and bad. If you don't try you'll never know.
Yey a few people have suggested me doing voluntary work, i wouldn't rule it out, cause iv been doing it here for my course and it has got me paid work. when you say you are struggling.. do you mind me asking what kind of work yous are both in? you mentioned you only got the bit of counselling work, was that all you were able to get? my BF will be applying for civil engineering jobs, the pay is meant to be good but, its like anywhere, we'll have to live within our means and not be paying silly rents. Is it dear to go out..like on a night out..pub/cinema/dinner?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:00 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Yey a few people have suggested me doing voluntary work, i wouldn't rule it out, cause iv been doing it here for my course and it has got me paid work. when you say you are struggling.. do you mind me asking what kind of work yous are both in? you mentioned you only got the bit of counselling work, was that all you were able to get? my BF will be applying for civil engineering jobs, the pay is meant to be good but, its like anywhere, we'll have to live within our means and not be paying silly rents. Is it dear to go out..like on a night out..pub/cinema/dinner?
I can't help with the cost of nights out as we can't afford it. Someone else on here can answer that question

I have only found that 1 job. I have a little girl and so I'm home schooling her too. My hubby is a sparky full time. He doesn't earn a great amount - under $50k per year. I'm on around $4 per year. It's not enough to live on over here, especially as we wanted to buy a property here. Your bf will probably earn a lot more.

Our rent is $360 per week for a 2 bedroomed flat. I would do as much research as you can. Don't just listen to my story as there are many people here who are ok and are staying.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

I can't help with the cost of nights out as we can't afford it. Someone else on here can answer that question

I have only found that 1 job. I have a little girl and so I'm home schooling her too. My hubby is a sparky full time. He doesn't earn a great amount - under $50k per year. I'm on around $4 per year. It's not enough to live on over here, especially as we wanted to buy a property here. Your bf will probably earn a lot more.

Our rent is $360 per week for a 2 bedroomed flat. I would do as much research as you can. Don't just listen to my story as there are many people here who are ok and are staying.
jeepers $50k, like thats a real decent wage here, but i suppose we have to factor in living costs. have u had any luck applying for other kind of work..just like shop/waitress etc you could maybe make good tips in that, along with your wage. Iv seen alot of english teacher jobs for home tutoring for children aged between 5-15yrs in NZ, both islands. would that be any use to you? I sen the ads on craigslist. Awk i realise everyone is going to have there own story to tell, like iv plenty of friends that headed of for uni..some loved it some hated it. so we would just have to take each day as it comes.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:39 pm
Looking for my marbles.

jeepers $50k, like thats a real decent wage here, but i suppose we have to factor in living costs. have u had any luck applying for other kind of work..just like shop/waitress etc you could maybe make good tips in that, along with your wage. Iv seen alot of english teacher jobs for home tutoring for children aged between 5-15yrs in NZ, both islands. would that be any use to you? I sen the ads on craigslist. Awk i realise everyone is going to have there own story to tell, like iv plenty of friends that headed of for uni..some loved it some hated it. so we would just have to take each day as it comes.
Im not a qualified teacher and so would not beable to home school other children. I have put in for loads of waitressing jobs but no success. Well I did an unpaid trial here a few months ago (unpaid trials are common here). It was a nightmare. The owner could not remember my name and so rang a bell everytime he wanted me. He swore at the customers too I didnt go back. I am 41 and so alot of cafes want younger waitresses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.