Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Working in Australia as a consultant whilst living in NZ

Working in Australia as a consultant whilst living in NZ

Old Apr 28th 2015, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of
Default Working in Australia as a consultant whilst living in NZ

Guys I have been offered a chance at 6-12 months of consulting work in Australia but I live here in NZ. I am a permanent resident in NZ and would be continuing to live in NZ and commuting to Australia when required.

Am I able to do this without a work visa as I will be getting paid in NZ $ and continuing to live in NZ with no plans to move over?

I am not a New Zealand citizen yet (eligible in 5 months) so cannot apply for the SCV visa. Can anyone see any visa or employment issues?
Thanks Skybluestu
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:12 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Australia as a consultant whilst living in NZ

is it through a Company you already work for or are you going to be self employed.?
If self employed not sure but if with a Company I think they should know the requirements and that it might depend on the length of time you would be there. A few members on here go abroad for work but I have not seen any of them mention additional visas but that could just be because its a few days/weeks at a time.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work in Oz on a business visa and never had any dramas. The only problem I had was as I was out of the country for more than 90 days (in total - not in one hitch) they reset the clock on my NZ citizenship eligibility - so be aware of that.

Last edited by Woodlea; Apr 29th 2015 at 3:02 am. Reason: ..
Old Apr 29th 2015, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Hi Woodlea
When you say business visa do you mean your standard online ETA Visa (to visit on a business trip or attend a conference) or did you apply for a short term working visa. I will have to watch how many days I stay out the country as I only have 7 months before I can apply for NZ citizenship
Old Apr 29th 2015, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skybluestu
Hi Woodlea
When you say business visa do you mean your standard online ETA Visa (to visit on a business trip or attend a conference) or did you apply for a short term working visa. I will have to watch how many days I stay out the country as I only have 7 months before I can apply for NZ citizenship
Yep, just the standard online ETA visa, entered on a UK passport and never had any issues.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

How Many days / weeks did you do at a time Woodlea?
Old Apr 29th 2015, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Supposed to be month on - month off, but could have been 6 weeks on, 2 off, did that for about 6 months one year and then similar a couple of years later.