Work wear

Old Mar 14th 2017, 10:22 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work wear

What is your take on wearing religious garments in the workplace?

I'm actually quite relieved that the European Court of Justice has ruled that "visible wearing of any political, philosophical or religious sign" is out but also dissapointed this had to get as far as an ECJ ruling. Why would anyone be surprised that, when working in a secular country or in a public space or event, one needs to dress neutral and/or to local custom?

You wouldn't stroll down the street with a vest on and a 6 pack of lager in hand when visiting sunny Saudi Arabia any more than you would wear an abaya or hijab grabbing coffee in Wellington. It just wouldn't be culturally appropriate, do we need go as far as specifying legality as well?
Old Mar 14th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Work wear

Do we still see Roman Catholic Nuns in uniform?

Can't say I've seen any for a while.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:18 am
Just Joined

thebrits is an unknown quantity at this point

any more than you would wear an abaya or hijab grabbing coffee in Wellington. It just wouldn't be culturally appropriate
Wellington born and raised and I can assure you it is perfectly culturally appropriate to wear an abaya or hijab whilst grabbing a coffee. We couldn't care less what other people are wearing.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Do we still see Roman Catholic Nuns in uniform?

Can't say I've seen any for a while.
I agree, not something you often see anymore but I saw a group of nuns in the headgear etc on Friday. There is a Catholic Church next to the A and E clinic I was at and I saw them coming out of the church.

I always find it interesting to ask people who object to Muslim head coverings whether they also object to nuns with heads covered. It's basically the same reason - a belief that is how their god wants them to dress.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Wear what you like for me ... don't have a problem with any religeous dress.

However, in places like banks and courtrooms etc where they insist I remove my motorcycle helmet or my sunglasses etc, I don't think the niqab(veil) should be allowed.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Would this be classed as a "philosophical" sign?
When you start banning things like religous dress or crucifixes, etc, etc you're starting on a very dangerous road.

Last edited by Robbie2010; Mar 18th 2017 at 10:37 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

"A commuter couldn't help but smile yesterday afternoon as he noticed seven nuns waiting for a train - at Seven Sisters tube station."

Seven nuns spotted at Seven Sisters tube station | Daily Mail Online
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:03 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Would this be classed as a "philosophical" sign?
When you start banning things like religous dress or crucifixes, etc, etc you're starting on a very dangerous road.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...g48svnZkseK5-A
I assume they mean swastika t-shirts, clansmens dress, crocs and that sort of thing.

The "anything goes" view seems a paradoxical position to me. Ostensibly it appears to be an equitable position however when you consider the implications, more often, it's really a position of endorsing discrimination under the guise of cultural acceptability. If you genuinely advocated a progressive, egalitarian view you have to accept that culture is a major driver of sexism and take an actual a position. However I appreciate this isn't yet the prevailing view within our society.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

So wearing a bikini or outfits i see out on a Saturday night where one can see pretty much everything is ok but wearing clothing that is worn to cover up is seen as wrong or even weird. I understand you just mean workwear but given the amount of ridicule people who wear religious clothing get it's got out of hand. People who allow themselves to get caught up in this argument need to really look at why they are doing it in the first place, it's usually down to bitterness that sometimes can be invoked when we become vulnerable as society. Also enforcing this would be difficult as those wearing the hijab could say they are not wearing it for religious reasons but simply for the same reason one may wear a miniskirt, simply because they want to as they like it

Last edited by paddy234; Mar 24th 2017 at 7:11 am.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 6:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Am I missing something. Is this not about what to wear to work?

I thought Work Wear currently was all dayglo.

The NZers were also using this workwear in their everyday lives.

Dayglo is the new to be seen in.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Dayglo is the new to be seen in.
Better tell Farmers et al. that dayglo is the new black.

Somehow I can't really see it catching on in NZ.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 12:02 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Wink Re: Work wear

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Better tell Farmers et al. that dayglo is the new black.
LED is the new DayGlo.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
What is your take on wearing religious garments in the workplace?
Telling people what they must wear at work applies to people working in the services but beyond that, telling people what they can and can't wear is not very British is it?
Old Mar 25th 2017, 12:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

MrBEVS is told he must wear the new 'in' dayglo to work , teamed with steel capped , bovver boots.

Useful for some as this seems to double up as cycling & gym wear for some.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Useful for some as this seems to double up as cycling & gym wear for some.

Oh yes, that kind of work wear seems to be popular at the beach too. For some people I think it's all they have.