Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Work Visas, a Cautionary Tale

Work Visas, a Cautionary Tale

Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Work Visas, a Cautionary Tale

Family pays price of NZ residency foul-up

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatustand...0716a6003.html
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the roughsunshine n jim is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Work Visas, a Cautionary Tale

thanks for making us aware
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:22 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kippers
Family pays price of NZ residency foul-up

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatustand...0716a6003.html
I read the article. I wonder what the hell they have spent the NZ$80,000 on? If they have spent NZ$80K on immigration consultants or lawyers I'd say they a knack for hiring nincompoops if they still find themselves in the proplem they are in.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a family that have this same dilemma, but it came down to greed why they ended up in that position. Trying to save a few $$ has landed them in it big style
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I don't understand what they have spent $80K on . If that money has gone on immigration consultants , then they have been had . Well and truly had. Any immigration consultant worth his salt would have stated to this family that their chances of PR , given their occupations, was nil.

When you read NZIS comments about the situation, it does seem that Mr Boyce travelled into NZ on a work visa only. He is a truck driver and so would be entitled to a temporary work permit. As the occupation is on the immediate shortage list, this means his employer was entitled to employ him without having to prove that there was no NZ resident for that job. That's all.

The couple say an incorrect job code was given to them when they first applied to come to New Zealand. This led to a successful ballot draw
Maybe he had put in an EOI at virtually the same time which was subsequently rejected. This happens if you don't meet the criteria.

a special needs teacher aide, and truck driver
It means the family do not have the long term skills that NZ wants.

and the promise that residency would be granted once in the country.
NZIS don't do or say this to anyone.

the Immigration Service is now telling them that the original code should never have been allocated and that it was invalid
This is interesting . I can't see the occupation code number making any real difference to an EOI to be honest. NZIS would be looking for skills , quals, quality job offers & all the usual stuff , like no NZ resident for the job etc.

IMMIGRATION SAYS
Mr Boyce was told he did not qualify for residence shortly after he first travelled to New Zealand on a temporary work visa, and before his wife and children joined him.......................
There was no ballot draw or any promise of residency................
If NZIS and the Dept of Labour allow this family PR , then they open a floodgate.
I would certainly use the case to lever PR for another family with PR problems.

HHHmmm ! Perhaps , they should have their case publicised also.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:58 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

*great*
yet another drain on the UK benefits sytem once they get deported.