Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Work Visa/Permit - wot's the difference?

Work Visa/Permit - wot's the difference?

Old Feb 13th 2005, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough
Question Work Visa/Permit - wot's the difference?

Hi
We are Sally and Chris from Northants, UK. Chris, my husband was lucky enough to apply for his citizenship through the family category for NZ as his mum was born there. We have just come back from a months holiday and want to return for good. I can't understand the NZ Immigration website and not sure whether I need a work VISA or Permit or both to go with him. Can anyone help on timelines, cost and difference between the 2 types? I understand that I can apply for residency when over there.
Thanks
Sally
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

jjennings will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Work Visa/Permit - wot's the difference?

Hi Sally,

We came to NZ last September for a holiday and never returned. I found work and then applied for a work permit/visa for 2 years. You actually get both a permit and visa in your passport. One gives you permission to stay here and the other gives you permission to work, but only for the employer that you listed on your application. I think it cost me about $420 (160 quid).

You can get a 2 year or 3 year work permit/visa the only difference is that the 3 year one requires a medical. I went for the 2 year one as I had already applied for residency and didn't see the point in taking another medical. Mine took about 4 weeks to go through (I used the Auckland office).

Good luck,

John

Originally Posted by Sally
Hi
We are Sally and Chris from Northants, UK. Chris, my husband was lucky enough to apply for his citizenship through the family category for NZ as his mum was born there. We have just come back from a months holiday and want to return for good. I can't understand the NZ Immigration website and not sure whether I need a work VISA or Permit or both to go with him. Can anyone help on timelines, cost and difference between the 2 types? I understand that I can apply for residency when over there.
Thanks
Sally
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for yor help John. The thing I am confused about is that we are trying to find a job for me from the UK so that I have something to go out to. However, the problem we encouter is that the companies or Agencies are not interested unless you are legally allowed to work out there so I assume we need to go out with me on a holiday VISA and apply out there? What happens if a company will still not be interested if you don't have a VISA/Permit to legally go for the job or I am I getting confused? Can I not get one here in the UK first so that I am not restricted to working for just "one company" that will be named on the form?

Where are you living and do you enjoy it? We have been advised to rent our house in the UK but I want to sell up and just go for it. Is it a risk coming out without a job to go to? So many questions!
Old Feb 13th 2005, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

jjennings will become famous soon enough

Hi Sally,

Ok, I'll fill out my details a bit more and it may explain things. We did actually come to NZ for a holiday last January. You know the sort of thing, both islands in 3 weeks on coach and train, different hotel every night, can't actually remember where we went but remember it was nice ;-)

We went home and decided we were going to emigrate. I registered an Expression of Interest as a skilled migrant (I'm and electronics engineer) and set about finding work. We decided to use an agency to help with our visa's and the job search. No problem with the service we got but it was very expensive (over 6 grand) and with hindsight we could have easily done everything ourselves.

The agency made all sorts of promises about telephone interviews and finding work before we got here but it was pretty much a lot of hot air and nothing materialised. We decided to quit work, sell-up and just move out here on 6 month visitor visa's. We arrived on the 2nd October and moved into an appartment on the Viaduct Harbour in Auckland that I had booked online. Because we were technically on holiday we were not able to ship our furniture and had to put it in storage (it's still not shipped but that's another story!!). It's a little hard to explain why you need furniture for a holiday. We did however ship over my Harley Davidson, which arrived a couple of weeks after us, because we were obviously on a touring holiday.

The agency had set me up with interviews beginning a few days after we arrived. Over the next 3 weeks I had 7 interviews and was offered 5 jobs!!!!! Basically don't worry, the work is out there. If you were an employer would you take on someone from the other side of the world who you had spoken with by phone? I wouldn't. By taking the chance and coming over here the employers see that you are making a comittment.

In NZ they are also less hung up on what you do. I was made redundant in the UK at the end of 2003. I managed the UK operation of a Dutch company for 15 years and they just closed us down. I couldn't even get an interview in the UK unless I fit the job description exactly. I ended up working for a mate whilst we made our move preparations.

Now bearing in mind that I have already said that I am an electronics engineer, with about 8 years experience in sales of silicon chip manufacturing equipment. Three of the jobs I was offered were selling forklift trucks, mechanical diggers and jet-boat engines. They understand that your experience can be used for other things so do not just put you in a box.

With regards to selling or renting your house. We have met people over here who have rented out there house in the UK and to me it looks like they have still not committed and need a lifeline. We wanted to cut all ties so put our house on the market. It didn't actually sell and 2 weeks ago, but we knew that it would eventually so were not worried.

In the meantime, our Expression of Interest for residency was accepted and we are in the final stages of getting full residency (I hope), which means that I can work anywhere I like if this job doesn't work out.

As far as I am aware, a work permit is only ever for one company as you need a job offer and a letter from that company explaining why they couldn't employ someone locally. Don't worry as NZ has one of the worlds lowest unemployment rates so the employer can easilly justify employing you if you have experience. I've been told that if you want to change jobs you can apply for a change to your work permit. I've also been told that it is fairly easy to upgrade to residency once you are here if you have support from your employer.

All my interviews were in Auckland and that's where I ended up working. This is because the agency told me all the electronics jobs were in Auckland. Again not strictly true as Christchurch is the centre for electronics manufacturing in NZ.

We are currently renting a house at Gulf Harbour on the Whangaparaoa peninsular, approx 30 miles north of Auckland. Auckland is damned expensive to rent or buy, so we thought we may as well live in paradise and commute. Take a look at news sites for the NZ Golf Open that was held over the weekend. The 3rd fairway runs behind our house and the 6th fairway runs in front. We have 9 beaches with perfectly clear water within a couple of minutes drive. The house has 4 bedrooms and a huge double garage that easily houses 2 cars and my Harley. Rent is $380 per week (approx 140 quid). To buy the house would cost around $450,000. Our house in Weston-super-Mare, which is similar in size but with only a single garage, has just sold for $650,000 (£250,000). I've ordered a boat and start a scuba diving class at the weekend so that I can dive with all the sub-tropical fish and dolphins. I know where I'd rather live!!!!

The south island is much cheaper and a similar house in Christchurch would cost about $250,000. The sea and coast is not so good down there but they have the fjords, mountains and ski resorts. We'll probably move down there in a year or two when we decide to buy rather than rent.

Do we like it? I think you have already guessed the answer to that.

Christmas was a little difficult being so far from family, but you can call the UK for $6 (£2.30) for 2 hours.

Cheers,

John
Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Hi
Thanks
Sally
Why not keep things simple and get permission to migrate to NZ as a spouse before you arrive?
http://www.immigration.govt.nz

As a migrant you do not need a separate visa to work.

You (and your children, if you have them) will be able to become naturalised New Zealand citizens after 5 years.

Jeremy
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Moved to Hawkes bay with residency 18 months ago. The good thing about residency rather than a work permit is that once you're here you can go where you like.

I'd only been to South Island on a recce/holiday and loved it. Could only get a job in Wellington for PR (different rules then) and moved there. In two days decided that it wasn't for us, jumped in the car and found Hawkes Bay. Got a job and Bob's your uncle.

Warning about renting out houses in UK. Friends had to go back as there house was trashed then unrentable for months. The agents did not inform them of what was going on. Only told them to pay out for doing up the house. We could not have afforded the mortgage on our NZ salary (which are low as I am sure you're aware) if it was not rented.

My advice is to sell, put the money into the Isle of Man and take a long time to suss out NZ before buying. Houses prices are stable in UK and NZ so the pressure is off.

Good luck.
Roger