British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Work Visa Granted!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/work-visa-granted-368924/)

Off2NZ Apr 21st 2006 1:55 pm

Work Visa Granted!!!

I know that I haven't posted on here much but I'm just soooooooooooo excited!

I just checked on our NZIS page and hubby's work visa has been granted today! :D :D Now starts the hard work, hey? :scared: We've sold the house but not completed yet, hopefully soon though.

Mine and our 2 daughters' visas should be following soon - we just need to wait for a medical report from the surgeon who operated on our oldest 4 weeks ago, we'll then send it off to NZIS and hopefully we'll get our visas soon.

So..... Auckland here we come!

Hang in there everyone else who's waiting - it does happen!

carts Apr 21st 2006 3:18 pm

Re: Work Visa Granted!!!

Originally Posted by Off2NZ

I just checked on our NZIS page and hubby's work visa has been granted today! :D :D Now starts the hard work, hey? :scared: We've sold the house but not completed yet, hopefully soon though.

Mine and our 2 daughters' visas should be following soon - we just need to wait for a medical report from the surgeon who operated on our oldest 4 weeks ago, we'll then send it off to NZIS and hopefully we'll get our visas soon.

Hi There
I am new to all this but wondered if you could tell me how long you had to wait for your husbands work visa and how you went about applying for yours and your daughters visas? We too are seriously considering relocating to NZ but are totally confused by the whole application process. My hubby has contacted a company in NZ with regards to getting work and has been told that it shouldnt be a problem as his profession is on the skills shortage list. :o

Off2NZ Apr 21st 2006 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by carts
Hi There
I am new to all this but wondered if you could tell me how long you had to wait for your husbands work visa and how you went about applying for yours and your daughters visas? We too are seriously considering relocating to NZ but are totally confused by the whole application process. My hubby has contacted a company in NZ with regards to getting work and has been told that it shouldnt be a problem as his profession is on the skills shortage list. :o

Hi
First of all we went onto the NZIS site and calculated our points (135). We then submitted our Expression of Interest (EOI) on 30th January 2006 which was drawn fairly soon afterwards. Hubby was then offered a job in NZ - we let NZIS know about this and they sent out the Invitation to Apply (ITA) very quickly. Once we'd collected all the paperwork we sent the ITA off to them. Because my hubby is an electrician and needs to be registered in NZ before he can begin work we were then sent an application for a work visa. Usually any dependents are also sent work/student visa applications but because our oldest daughter recently had an operation we need to await a full report from the surgeon before we can be given our visas. NZIS will issue these visas free of charge as we are really applying for Permanent Residence (PR).

I hope this helps but please don't hesitate to PM me if you would like any more information.

Spacecake799 Apr 27th 2006 12:09 pm

Hi
First of all we went onto the NZIS site and calculated our points (135). We then submitted our Expression of Interest (EOI) on 30th January 2006 which was drawn fairly soon afterwards. Hubby was then offered a job in NZ - we let NZIS know about this and they sent out the Invitation to Apply (ITA) very quickly. Once we'd collected all the paperwork we sent the ITA off to them. Because my hubby is an electrician and needs to be registered in NZ before he can begin work we were then sent an application for a work visa. Usually any dependents are also sent work/student visa applications but because our oldest daughter recently had an operation we need to await a full report from the surgeon before we can be given our visas. NZIS will issue these visas free of charge as we are really applying for Permanent Residence (PR).

I hope this helps but please don't hesitate to PM me if you would like any more information.

Hi i just spotted something interesting you mentioned and thought you maybe able to help me. We have enough points (115) for our EOI but were told there was no point submitting it as my husband has no job offer. Also to get the points weve had to use our catering qualifications which are recognised as all the microsoft qualifications my husband holds are not recognised even though there is a skills shortage in IT. Are you saying even though you had no job offer your EOI was picked out? Is it worth us trying and if it is are you saying whilst in that process we can also apply for a work permit? Sorry for all the questions but at the minute we are putting our house on the market and then turning up in NZ with 3 school age children and no job and hoping to find something asap.

kiwichild Apr 27th 2006 12:43 pm

Congragulations, hope it all works out for you guys :)

Off2NZ Apr 27th 2006 2:30 pm

Hi
Yes, we were selected without a job offer but we had 135 points - not sure what minimum they are selecting at the moment - (I have a feeling that NiceGuy has posted some statistics today though).

I think you can also apply for a work permit whilst your EOI is in the pool (I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong please!) but NZIS sent us work visa applications as my husband is an electrician and he has to obtain a provisional licence before we can get PR so to enable him to work in NZ whilst he does the necessary they have given us work/student visas.

Again, I'm afraid that I'm not sure how it works as far as just turning up there and looking for work but I am sure somebody on here will know. It might be worth starting a thread about it in case nobody spots your query in this thread.

Sorry not to be able to help you much but good luck.
G

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi i just spotted something interesting you mentioned and thought you maybe able to help me. We have enough points (115) for our EOI but were told there was no point submitting it as my husband has no job offer. Also to get the points weve had to use our catering qualifications which are recognised as all the microsoft qualifications my husband holds are not recognised even though there is a skills shortage in IT. Are you saying even though you had no job offer your EOI was picked out? Is it worth us trying and if it is are you saying whilst in that process we can also apply for a work permit? Sorry for all the questions but at the minute we are putting our house on the market and then turning up in NZ with 3 school age children and no job and hoping to find something asap.

User Name Apr 27th 2006 2:30 pm

Outstanding.

Woodlea Apr 30th 2006 6:51 pm

Hiya, we only had 105 points on the EOI and no job offers but still got a 2 year work permit. I had applied for a residence permit but they only gave us work permits as I said I didn't want to work in NZ (I work overseas in oil). So now I just have to find a job with a Kiwi employer for 3 months to convert the work permit into residence permits - then I can go back overseas. So whether or not you have a job offer - if they think you'll get work you should get some sort of visa. Good luck.